maybe you can help a poor little honda

I have had many problems with my scooter recently, and I was hoping you could help me out. it's an SE 50, 1987. recently, I was at an intersection during a cold morning. it stalled during a red light, and I could not get it started again. I was told I was using the wrong oil, (pre-mix instead of injector) and that my spark plug was fouled (which was very true). I also learned that I had a cracked piston ring. Now, a couple weeks later, and with these parts replaced, I still cannot get it to start. I'm not sure what the problem is, and now I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be of great help to me, thanks.

Re: maybe you can help a poor little honda

david f martin /

Hi Chris,

I have a SE50 (Elite50s) also, which is unfortunately a one-year-only bike. Glad I'm not the only one!

Check out Fred's guide to fixing your moped in the Resources section. That should answer most all of your questions. If you run into questions specific to your model, I will try to help you if I can.

david

david f martin /

BTW, what kind of condition was your piston and cylinder in? The only quick idea I can come up with is that maybe you were mixing too much oil with your gas. I just read yesterday that too much oil actually makes your engine run too lean (and too hot), and it seems like it would foul the plug, too.

david

The cylinder was in decent shape, as was the piston, no scoring that I could see. it's not a pre-mix setup, however. it has an oil injector. Could my oil pump be toast?

david f martin /

I wasn't aware that there was a different 2-cycle oil for premix or oil injection. I usually just pick up a bottle of 2-stroke oil from whatever convenience store I got gas at... I've put probably 1000 miles on mine since I got it, and haven't had any puzzling results...

How long have you had the bike? How often do you have to add oil? It has a pretty big oil reservoir, I usually add oil every week or so, and put about 150 miles per week on the bike.

Since you're following Fred's advice (in the guide), you'll have the body panels off already... Check the throttle cable. It splits off before it gets to the carberator, to control the oil pump. Twist the throttle and watch the cable at the oil pump.

The problem could be elsewhere, though. There's a vacuum operated fuel valve on the bottom of the gas tank. Its got 2 hoses going to it: one is fuel for the carb, the other is vacuum from the intake. Pull the hose from the carb and the other from the intake. Suck on the small hose (intake, vacuum) and see if gas runs out of the other hose.

Of course, check for spark. I haven't gotten into the electricals of mine yet, so I can't give you specific advice on that... refer to Fred's guide.

The carb is pretty simple to remove and clean... If you haven't done that yet, you should.

david

david f martin /

I just re-read your first post... You mentioned that your plug was fouled out... You could be running too rich, from a clogged up aircleaner element. That's pretty simple to remove and clean.

david

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account