stupid cop

the other day while i was riding down the road i noticed a police officer had pulled over a tomos targa lx. I was hesitant about driving past but when i did i heard the cop mension something about it not being a moped. I stoped to give the guy a hand (my moped is not registered and im underage and dont have a license) and thats illegal in CT. I went through the tomos and showed the officer every little detail that proved its a moped. The cop felt so bad for his mistake that he took the guys warning ticket back and sent us off. This just goes to show you how dumb some people really are.

Re: stupid cop

He WAS smart enough to realize he was wrong, right?

And he did let you go... In my county, where the police act primarily as merciless tax collectors, I would call him a very kind and enlightened officer...

flannelman /

dude you got lucky

yeah he did let us go i dunno, all the cops in my town are lazy and just dont feel like fillin out paper work. as it is if they have to get out of their car to get you then your free to go.

merlin311 /

my cops are very enlightened i've lived here 3yrs and have never been stopped by a cop.(if you get stopped they say dont do it again and take off)

one day we we're giving my c70 a tow to a friends hes on his sachs and im on the 70 holding to his arm...we were goin slow and a cop goes by i wave he waves back and keeps goin

(my friend has no liscense plate drivers permit etc..)

im 100% legal to drive a motorcycle-moped,etc still working on finishing my drivers liscense though

I got pulled over cause they thought it was stolen. 20 minutes later they let me go. Dave, what country are you from?

flannelman /

i got no plate or a title but cops just dont seem to care ive sat and talked them and they just told me i got to get my tail light fixed hmmm

i guess it cause i live in a big city they got better things to do

like eat donut and drink coffie lol

i think sometimes cops get a bad rap. if you think about all the dangers they could potentially face (including getting killed to protect you and i), then you can appreciate this.

also ... keep in mind that mopeds are rare. so maybe you can understand how cops can get a bit confused when they see mopeds.

i talked to the motorcycle cop in my town the other day (we were both at the counter of a local diner gettin breakfast) he said, they dont usually bother with me because, i have a helmet, USUALLY a leather jacket on, have my headlight on always, im not obstructing traffic (staying to the right) and i have a valid sticker. all the ones ive talked to dont care about top speed, some even think mopeds should be allowed to do 40, so they wouldnt hold up cars, they could just follow them in town instead. and also that they were louder, like mine, he said most accidents with them are caused by people just totally not seeing the bikes, because most are so quiet & small, & slow.

good thing to know there are a few cops on "our side" of the argument

-Garret

jack garcia /

I was on a trip with my 14-year old daughter, I was pedaling my bike, and she was riding my ped. We had done about 30 miles and on the way bac home a cop stops her. I am a little ways back, trying to catch up, and all he does is turn on his loud speaker and says GET PLATES, then drives off. I DO need to register that thing

merlin311 /

they dont like getting out of they're cars do they....

Re: stupid argument

Garret:

Don't fall for the "I didn't see the moped" line!!!

It is the responsibility of the driver to be aware of all situations surrounding his vehicle. The majority of two wheeler vs. car collisions are the fault of the car driver, hands down.

Mopeds are motor vehicles also and likewise share the road with other vehicles.

Suppose the big rig driver tells the cop: "But officer, I didn't see the Geo Metro!"

Jim

John Lieberman /

Kyle,

In what town were you stopped?

Maybe stupid, but realistic

John Lieberman /

It's not a question of falling for anything. It's also not a question of who's responsible for what. The fact is, if you get into an altercation with a car on a moped, you're likely to be the loser. Your heirs can take the car driver to court and sue for the benefit of your estate, but that's cold comfort.

Face it, American drivers are just not accustomed to seeing two-wheeled vehicles on the road. Yes, some of it is arrogance, but even many drivers who recognize the rights of motorcyclists and mopeders sometimes just don't see us. It's even happened to me in my car once or twice, and I can be downright militant about moped rights!

I read the manual for a motorcyclist license in Michigan because I was considering getting a Honda Elite 80, which qualifies as a motorcycle. The manual points out that the primary cause of accidents between cars and motorcycles is when cars fail to give the right of way and then take a left turn in front of an oncoming bike. Ever since I read that manual, I find myself driving much more defensively on my moped, as I'm more aware of the kinds of things for which to watch. I still stake my claim on the road, and ride just as much as I used to (maybe more), but it helps to know when I'm most at risk.

I recommend that every moped rider get a copy of the state motorcycle manual and read it just to better understand, and be prepared for, the most likely incidents. It puts you in a better position to "swarm and destroy" with maximum effectiveness and SURVIVABILITY.

i wasnt stoped, some other guy was and i helped out by stoping

and im in suffield CT

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account