Re: Brand New American Moped

Mikebeez,

They will come pre-wired, all you have to do is plug in the motor to the wiring harness. Running lights, brake lights, horn, etc, all included and ready to ride.

1977Mopeds? not even once

I cant wait to see these in person. And yes i fully expect to be disappointed by the wiring as most moped people cant wire to save themselves. I personally like switches and options. And the more i dig into moped wiring schematics the more i learn why they made the choices they did. Most of the time it was to keep the lights from dimming.

rick ziereis /

> No title ?

> No registration in Oklahoma ?

> http://moped2.org/laws/Oklahoma.htm

Nope. Not unless you feel like registering a bicycle with the state, I'm sure they'd be glad to take your money, if you really wanted to. If you read the actual law, they are considered bicycles under OK law, and thus only the laws for bicycles apply. I always keep a printed copy with me when I ride, and have shown this to cops several times who mistakenly thought that I needed a license plate and stopped me - it's always resulted in "have a nice day", and no further hassles (except once when the cop was a smartass and ran my vin to verify that my bike wasn't stolen, which of course it wasn't).

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=81890

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=437530

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82291

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=437603

These are the actual state laws in OK that regulate mopeds, straight out of the motor vehicle code. They very clearly define mopeds, and exempt them from the motor vehicle code almost entirely (except for required equipment like headlight, brake light, tail light - see the rest of CH12, if interested). And OK isn't the only state like this, either - again, please don't upset the applecart for those of us in states where we have a bit more freedom!

I agree there is no regulation here in Montana either. If it has pedals and is under 50cc it is as a bicycle. I too carry a copy of the Montana code to show cops that want to ticket me. All have gone away with huuh I did not know that.

price seems super reasonable to me. To the point where I don't know how anyone will make any money off these using small run production.

Oklahoma is A OK!

So I see that you have addressed all the questions with answers but is there a vid or pics of this bike running and riding? Thanks.

I will never buy one of these because Todd Amundson sucks and i'll never support a project that he is a part of.

What about turn signals? There is a lot of states that require that.

Andrew Squiggman /

yeah. they are required now

Can you find a state that requires turn signals? Did those states not allow Sprints?

Yea, I always wondered that. So we sold Sprints all the time and they didn't have turn signals. Now here you are legally required to have turn signals on any new vehicle and there are dimensions you have to adhere too but no one seems to care when it's sold. Then when you go to register it and sometimes the person at the DMV will remember and make you have it. So you try again and find one that doesn't care. Then the cop pulls you over and to be a dick he writes you a ticket for not having turn signals. And then the Judge says thems the breaks and you have to pay a ticket for the goddamned thing.

They sell 50cc moped scooters that are supposed to be fully legal and they all do almost 50. Fully breaking the law when sold. And then you get busted by some dickhead cop and then you pay fines for it.

you know turnsignals are super easy to add right? you just ned a switch a bimetal relay lights and wire. and a different relay if you want to run led's

oh look, its basically a brand new tsm with a 3rd transfer case and cdi included bolt on peugeot motor. instead of trying to contain my moped boner ill make a snarky remark about the price or that its not vintage or has no turn signals.

wtf guys? this is fucking AWESOME. who gives 2 shits about the stupid stuff? not only is this thing already shaping up to be ultra customizable, it also looks like all the parts can be bought ala carte.

looks to me to be the ultimate tt moped. its simple, leaves room for your personal touch, and can be easily powered by the motor brand of your choice.

i bet you could figure out the small details yourself.

Andrew Squiggman /

what tires come with it?

Yes, I know how hard it is to add turn signals to something. Most people I know don't bother to even run a brake light but I would expect a brand new bike to have one. And in general, before I buy something I ask questions about it. Since it seems these pictures are not the actual final version of it they could still be changing the design. I don't think it's cool factor insulates it from asking basic questions about it. Because that would be stupid.

Besides, asking about the legality of a vehicle in a state that requires that stuff isn't stupid or snarky. It's the law and they will ticket the shit out of you if they feel like.

Emil Kniemel /

is the seat comfortable?

yeah. turn signals are so hard. :(

@jesse yea the brake lights/horn discussion was more of a probe by me to inspire more discussion. I love hooking up brake lights, horns, and turn signals. I was trying to get some more info from them but instead the answer was "yes they will have that stuff its easy" but if it was easy where is the video of one rocking with full on brake lights, horn, and hey maybe turn signals. From working at a moped shop in the era of new Tomos being available, I and most other people know that turn signals and extras are selling points for people.

I think I'd just register it as a magnum or something and skip the legal headache. Every state is different, so who knows. I have faith that dan and the crew know what they're doing. Maybe they will have a safety package with the stuff installed.

I guess I look past that stuff when I see a brand new pug motor, even if it's a clone, that I can literally slap a malossi kit and all the fixins and blast off to 65 on my brand new moped.

Or swap my gila on it. Whatever.

Yeah yeah yeah the law. All I see is fun.

Dan Webber Kastner /
dan OP

As for turn signals, we really weren't planning on having those as an option on this first model. The idea is to keep it as simple and manufacturable as we can, as we have not really done so many bikes at once before. I was following Tomos's lead on selling the sprint in all 50 states without turn signals, but I will check into if that is not ok for some states. It will have a horn, brake lights, horn switch and all those basics. Our crate motors hit next week, and that is what is holding us up putting up videos of it blasting around. I want to make sure it is as close to what people will be getting as possible.

The seat is surprisingly comfy.

Laws on Mopeds are a bit more murky and less than restrictive in most states than even scooters. But, we will have to tackle each state on a case per case basis. I am sure we have a ton to learn!

It will be fun learning though!

Great idea! I hope you sell enough!

This is awesome! Can't wait to see one in person

Dan Webber Kastner /
dan OP

I keep pedaling it around the room!

I think they should have done the learning first.

When you register a ped in NY they go by the list. If your ped is not on the list it can't be registered, according to the law. Most states require turn signals and fenders. All lights and many other items must be DOT approved. Tires, muffler, lights, horn, switches, and speedometer must be DOT approved. Yes a speedometer is required. The speedometer has to be tested to make sure it is within the right error level.

There are a huge number of smaller items the laws specify, including marking the choke lever and it's positions of use. Even the fuel valve must be marked and it's positions indicated.

DOT will need to test the lighting system also. The headlight can't dim when other lights are used, and the turn signals must flash at all times, when in use. Also I believe you will have a minimum illumination intensity standard for the headlight.

There is no way to sell a motor vehicle in NY unless it is complete, with all the required DOT specified items. You can't sell it as a motor vehicle without speedometer, fenders, turn signals, mirror, horn, ect. I don't believe this moped will ever be legal in NY state, except as an off road bike or as parts.

ephraim zimbalist jr /

^^ yepper,$2000 pipe dream

It would be impossible for a small company to offer a complete moped that's road legal and ready to go. You'll have to put it together yourself and get it legal like you would any other vehicle you built yourself. If your state requires turn signals or a speedometer add them. Think of it as a race bike you might be able to get titled.

Sucks to be you guys. All we need in VA is a clean VIN and a bill of sale. Until last year, we didn't even have to register.

all i need in GA is gas and a helmet.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account