Cops checking speed? Rollers?

IMG_4794-Desktop-Resolutie.jpg

Ran across a thread on a Rubbermaid scooter site that mentioned "rollers"? A device cops in some European districts use to check the top speed of a bike if they think it's been modified past the moped designation. Anyone ever encountered this?

Seems iffy to me. Does it give resistance or just measure unloaded speed? My moped is legal with me on it, I can only get 27 mph, but my son is light enough he can push it up over the legal 30 mph line. I'm sure unloaded it'll spin up closer to 40. What about the poor 400# dude who has modified the hell out of his DUIcycle to get it to go 30 mph while carrying his fat ass?

I'd run two CDI's if I were in a jurisdiction doing this. One with a limiter, one without. Have some sort of hidden switch to change between them.

Re: Cops checking speed? Rollers?

I don't think the cops here care, as long as you are not speeding, and as long as if you live in a title/plate state the bike is registered right. I have heard those things in the pic are Dyno's to measure HP not top speed. Not 100% on that but it would make mores sense.

Princess Rapunzel /

I've never heard of this in the united states. Don't think something like this even exists here. Heard of it in Holland and thereabouts, they like to bust modded peds there.

Not done here as far as I know, I read about it being done in Germany. Europe is much tougher on driving in general and safety checks, and obeying vehicle class rules.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

They are used all over Europe, but that is because the differences in speed of the moped (or mofa if it is a slower than 30kph machine) mean big bucks in taxes. The rollers are expensive, and there is not the financial incentive for them to ever come across the pond.

Basically they are looking for tax evaders.

We have them here in holland, they used to check the amount of kilowatts your moped produces, bit since a few years its top speed. If your top speed in more than 10 kmph than allowed your totle gets taken away and you have to get your moped re-titled and you get an absurd fine.

These rules have become in effect recently and are mainly there to stop the recent increase in chinese scooters, but are a real pain in the ass for moped enthousiasts like me.

You could try and put a limiter, but cops round here know to look for them.

ACAB

Yeah I read about this as a very typical thing over there, and a lot of folks have done the ignition switch thing--but if you get caught with it then big fine action. And the Man knows to look for it too. :P

I want one of those mini dynos though. :D

Bas do you know who makes those mini dynos? Sure they would be of no use to big bikes, but for our bikes it would be such a boon.

Alex degnes has built a dyno recently, theres info on it here.

I get pulled over and put on a dyno quite frequently, so i have no use for one at home.

Bas Autowas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I get pulled over and put on a dyno quite

> frequently, so i have no use for one at home.

god that suuuucks.

I've said it before but a lot of the imports we get here are from impound lots in Europe and have been destroyed in various ways, presumably for being modified beyond the law. We've seen everything from cut frames at the head tube to holes drilled clean through cylinders.

I live in a suburb where the norm is 40+mph. Although it may suck to be limited by law, I think it would be cool to live in a place where a stock moped was not dangerously slow. Like if a stock magnum at 30 was normal, and you could ride it for looks, fun, and economy and not get honked at.

Stock mopeds are still dangerously slow here, since a few years back mopeds have to be driven on 50kmph roads (in stead of bicycle paths) which shouldnt be a problem if anyone would ever drive 50kmph on a 50kmph road, which they dont.

Harassment of moped riders has gotten a bit less over the years as less and less young people drive mopeds/scooters.

When i was 16 and i could get my moped drivers license with a 50 question test and 32€. These days they require young people to actually take moped driving lessons and an exam, of which the cost is between 300/500€.

The Dyno Alex made is super cool, but imagine trying to carry this around in the trunk of your car:

Vs this tiny little sucker the Man is employing:

Where I live space is a huge issue. Getting tiny versions of things, even though they don't have the same feature set, or durability, makes it possible to own them. :P

Bas, can you mod the shit out of a moped and then just license it as a motorcycle?

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's just mopeds, fuck a dyno and fuck the police

maybe if you ask the cops nicely they'll sell you one.

If you have a moped that was also built in with than 50 cc. then you should be able to get a motorcycle registration for it. but this is mainly done with things like the kreidler RS, which was sold as a moped and a motorcycle. so its mainly 50/60/80cc shifties.

never seen anyone with a 50cc 1/2speed automatic moped with a motorcycle license.

I'm only wondering because like the dude in the photo, he's not a young kid, so why risk getting messed with when you could just reg the thing as a moto. If we got messed with here in the States for riding kitted peds that's what I would probably do. Of course in SF if you have a ped you can legally ride it in the bicycle lane, and park on the sidewalk--two huge advantages of the city moped rider. ;D

The cops must have units that they retire. Don't know if the software gives more than just a beep to say over or under. But if the hardware is there the software could be created. Any idea what the manufacture is for those units?

The dynos have an external unit on which the speed is shown, but i bet you can hook them up to a computer. I have been looking where you can buy them but cant find it yet. Its not that busy at work so i'll continue to look. Dyno's are called "rollerbank" in dutch.

Getting a motorcycle license costs around a 1000€ here, whilst you can drive mopeds when you have a drivers license. Motorcycles also require road taxes and expensive insurance and gas is pretty damn expensive here ( about 8$ a gallon). So driving a moped or scooter is the cheapest option for most people.

Rollo Tomassi /

Rob Roberts Wrote:

> I'm only wondering because like the dude in the

> photo, he's not a young kid, so why risk getting

> messed with when you could just reg the thing as a

> moto.

Where we are in Holland, kids don't ride mopeds. It's people in their 50's riding Puchs, Tomos, Peugeot, and the odd Piaggio or Moby. I am too young to ride mopeds and I'm 43. I haven't really seen the Dyno's here in the Hague, but I have heard about them.

20 somethings ride Chinese and Italian scooters with speed limiters.

ephraim zimbalist jr /

small cop or very tall guy...$8 a gallon gas,damn thats high

Thats a pretty tall guy even for our standards.

What restrictions do electric bikes have there in the lowlands

"there was giants in them days"

they do exist! NBA .. is a start of looking at the dna of them.. some not see the light so well as ours. its in the water.

Found this on the interwebs, looks pretty similar:

http://www.dynostar.com/products/showproducts.asp?articleid=56&tl2id=1

Here's someone using it on their scooter:

Would be pretty rad to get one of those bad boys, wonder how much they run?

JR

Probably Fred /

Yep that's how it starts! first you lose your right to bear arms, the police take your guns and melt them! then you lose your right to play mopeds, the police take your bikes then crush them.

image.png

So your solution to police is shooting them? Then why havent all cops in the good ol' us of a been shot dead by now? Seems an awfull waste of the second amendment not to use it.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

compliment their gun

like.jpg

and no fruitcake remarks duh...

you know you can build a chain driven engine dyno way easier than that. the expensive part is the ac drive. im betting the cops are using a brushed dc generator style dyno which just reads the kw output. that's doable but what fun is that. i bet with 4 kitted za50's i can power my whole house!

Bas Autowas Wrote:

You could try and put a limiter, but cops round here know to look for them.

ACAB

If I lived anywhere where I was subjected to that kind of crap I'd rig up a suicide button or switch to a capacitor or something that would fry part of the ignition (preferably a less expensive piece) Kinda hard to test if you can't get it to run!

Will 77 file chapter13 or 11 in 2016 as Crazy Wayne™ rocks free rent from MA's butthert core. /

I just give high five..............

Thomas TPRF /

Barn Fresh Wrote:

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> You could try and put a limiter, but cops round

> here know to look for them.

> ACAB

>

> If I lived anywhere where I was subjected to that

> kind of crap I'd rig up a suicide button or switch

> to a capacitor or something that would fry part of

> the ignition (preferably a less expensive piece)

> Kinda hard to test if you can't get it to run!

Yeah, CDI boxes are cheaper than impound and no registration fines.

jet bike. no power to wheels. no dyno thingy. super fast!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account