Re: How did you get into mopeds?

My wife got me into mopeds. So basically, I blame her for this problem.

Got my first moped at 13. I wanted to drive so bad. I was working for the neighbor making $2.50/hr minus lunches building decks. Decided to get a moped. Watched the Thrifty Nickel (90's Craigslist) for weeks. Finally saw one, and called the guy up. He had a hangar rented at a local airfield. Had an RV, a boat, bunch of junk, moped, NO AIRPLANE. Anyway, got a 1976 Pacer Delux for $100.

Ended up with my brother. Yes, he still has it. Now he's got a Pacer SS to go with it. Spent the summer back home, nothing to do, so I went driving around town with him on the 'ped we've had in the family for 20 years.

Mom watched Craigslist and found a '78 Vespa Bravo. So I went up and bought it. Guy selling it tells of two brothers who had identical Bravos running around town, and sold them to a farmer, this was one. Took it home, got it running. Guy calls me a week later,"Farmer showed up with the second one. Didn't have the heart to tell him I sold it. Want this one too?" Yup. Twinsies. Bought 2 mopeds and a story.

how so?

just picked up a puch e50 bike locally for dirt cheap

something I could have afford when I was kid

yea they are a perfect size

haha!

i had a couple as a kid in nj, but never quite figured out how to "legalize" one. when i moved to ga, i kept seeing people riding scooters and shit without tags. i eventually did some research and found out about some of my new "freedoms" i have in the south. no tags, registration or insurance req'd. got a nice complete kinetic tfr for 200$. i was hooked. i got a bunch of bikes. i built a moped shed in my back yard.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account