Ree....Tomos Help, anyone else too

Heres the deal, my friend loaned me his 93 tomos BulleTT, I believe its 93 or it could be a year or two lower, anyway, it was pretty crappy, It would not idle at all, and when you started to slow down sometimes it would just die and not start for another 40 minutes, not even joking, I spent a while painting his gas tank, cleaning the carb, changing the transmission fluid and changing the spark plug, it started and ran really good, it idles and changes gears really good, but...after like an hour or two of use, it takes 10-20 hard kicks to get it started it again, still idles once you get it started. It has a CDI Ignition, so what do you think, i'm leaning to a new ignition but there soooo expensive. Thanks alot.

Re: Ree....Tomos Help, anyone else too

Kevin Harrell /

Try de-carbonizing the head and the exhaust. May not be the right answer but it is worth a shot.

Ron Brown /

Nick,

You need to check the spark when it is acting up. Carry a spare plug in your pocket. There is nothing like facts to clear the water.

Ron

Kevin Harrell /

I agree try the plug first. It is both easy and cheap.

If the bike sits between starts, it may be a bad/faulty petcock. It would be hard to start all the time though. (And with long sits will leak fuel) I had this problem on my 94 Sprint and the guy at Continental cycles said that the petcocks, along with the pedal design for that year, (left side) are pretty much crap and to replace both. (Left side crank arm simply fell off of mine) Solved all of my problems. Now three years later no problems.

Ron Brown /

Kevin

I didn't mean to change the plug, Does not seem like the right symptoms, just use it to look for spark, but why not. Easy way to eliminate it as a problem.

Ron

I just put a brand new spark plug in.

I'll try that but what could be a few reasons for the hard starting???

Ron Brown /

Nick,

You have two possibilities, spark and fuel. There are many things that can affect each of these. Do we have to list all of them or are you going to tell us if you have a good spark so we only have to list half of them.

Ron

Reeperette /

As Ron said - replace/check spark plug.

And these three things, none of which is gonna do ya any harm, and might do you some good, but check after doing each so you know if it was specifically one of them, and let US know, so we can be of more help in the future.

Again, check plug/spark.

While you're AT it, do a plug chop and check your mixture.

Check, clean and set the points, as they are possibly dirty and/or misadjusted.

Check for vaccuum leakage, most particularly at the front of the carb where it clamps to the intake manifold.

Clean your carb, and the airfilter - again...preferably with compressed air.

And be sure to check out Freds guide in the RESOURCES section of the site, it's very likely to help you solve this.

-R

Oh..did not see that...

Reeperette /

>>It has a CDI Ignition, so what do you think, i'm leaning to a new ignition but there soooo expensive.<<

It's fairly uncommon for a Bullet to have a CDI, but if it does you should (instead of checkin points) find out for sure if it's giving strong, reliable spark...Tomos 'peds came with come crappy CDI units at times, so make sure you're not just getting spark, but that you're getting ENOUGH spark....should be a nice, fat blue popper, not a weak, flickering trickle.

-R

Re: Oh..did not see that...

Would a weak spark cause it to stall and take a while to start? I have to go to work so I will check these things later, thanks for the help so far

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account