Frozen Laura M48 piston

I picked up a Laura M48 engine this weekend for parts. The price was right...free. It's all good except for the piston and cylinder. I know they're sort of major parts, but a wanted the other stuff anyway so these are kind of expendable. The piston is totally locked in the cylender right near the bottom of the bore. I've had it soaking in penitrating oil for 2 days now and I've tried everything I can think of to get the piston unstuck. I just want to get the wrist pin out so I can salvage the crankshaft, but the little bugger just won't move. I've pounded the piston with a block of wood(shaped to fit the pistons curve) and a mallet. How hard can I\should I hit it without fear of shattering the piston. I've had experience with stuck pistons before, but nothing to tis degree. I'd swear the rings have melded with the cylender walls.

If anyone out there has ANY info or tips I can use, it would be much appreciated.

Richard

Re: Frozen Laura M48 piston

Ron Brown /

Richard,

If the piston is close to the bottom of the stroke, the crankshaft could be stopping you.

Raise the piston and cylinder to the point where the crank is at a right angle to the stroke then put pieces of wood between the cylinder and crankcase.

Use a piece of wood as large as possible with a perfectly flat end and whack the s*** out of it.

Ron

I've cracked the case and pulled the whole crank assembly out. Right now it's just the crank, con rod, piston, and cylender. I've got a bench with a hole in it just big enough to fit the crank though and it supports the cylender perfectly.

As for whacking the s*** out of it, as you so eloquently put it. How does a hard pine 2x2 and a 4 1\2 lb sledge hammer sound? Didn't work. I am seriously worried that I'm gonna break the bench before she gives.

Richard

Ron Brown /

Richard,

That sounds like s*** to me!

Have you tried heat?

Ron

InfectedBootSector /

That's what I was about to say.. take a torch to the bastard... heat the cyl up good and hot.... should expand out around the piston... then...

wack the shit out of it

That's what I thought to. All I got was a great cloud of smoke, a good headache, and a pretty interesting fire once the torch found all that oil.

I think I may have to call it quits with this one. I have one last option, but I'm not sure how good it'll be for the cylender. I've got a 5 ton bottle jack and I was thinking of rigging up something and see if I can't just force the bugger out. I'm past caring about the piston. I would ideally like to save the cylender, but I just don't know anymore.

At least it was free. The clutch and electrics are in beautiful shape so that's a couple of pluses. One good thing is that I've got the bearings out so I can measure them for replacement. I've just got to figure out where to get the seals from and out of the 3 engines I've got, I'll have 2 in great shape.

Richard

try marvel mystery oil, soak it in that, then try the whacking treatment again, if that fails, find a motorcycle shop that can hone moped cylinders, take it to them, and be like "do you think you could possibly get this out? i want to try to save the cylinder." shops have their ways with things like this (10 ton arbor presses, oxy acetylene torches....etc)

-Garret

That may be my last resort.

Thanks Garret.

Richard

Seriously, try some milk of Magnesia and let it soak at least a half a day and have one for the road yourself!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account