WTF crazy going on in this Flandria! amongst the whackiest mopeds

This is some of the whackiest motor i've been in. get ready, kinda long n picture laden

I've got this Flandria Apollo, some of ya may've seen it last weekend in Richmond. It's great.

I love oddball bikes, and this was a rad score. It began life looking something like this:

but when I got it it had no tank or really anything at all, so I rigged up enough to get me going, a little spree tank n tiny light etc.

IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg

Re: WTF crazy going on in this Flandria! amongst the whackiest mopeds

I rode it all weekend, but out of curiosity more than anything I started tearing it apart to rebuild and see whats in there,

that's when it gets really interesting...

Here's the motor, simple 3 bolt 1 speed 50cc automatic. It back pedals to start like a tomos

but if you look close, the cylinder is at an angle, diagonally

001.jpg

lets get in there:

Clutch has THIS neat piece of engineering

005.jpg

The cap engages the pins so when the motor is pulling the clutch engages, BUT if therear wheel is pulling faster, coasting or just rolling off the throttle, regardless of RPM, the clutch disengages.

Actually an awesome feature, because while I was barely going 25-30 on flats, I was racing past people at idle down the hills, and when I couldnt quite keep up with the ride, i got a push from some buddies, i just roll off the throttle and it coasts totally free. Awesome

Watching you jump that thing on the trail in rva was def a highlight of the weekend. Guy in front of you went left of the jump... guy in front of him went to the right... Will just hits it WOT and sends that flandria 2 foot up in the air.

I almost dumped it laughing so hard.

But here's the craziest bit of crazy. it's kinda hard to see whats going on in the pic so i'll explain:

IMG_2815.jpg

It's rotary valve case inducted, like a vespa, or ke100, or any of a billion great 2 strokes - rotary case induction, nothing new.

The way EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD does rotary induction is a window in the crank lobe that sets when the intake opens and closes

WELL. this is a window IN THE CRANK SHAFT

that right. a window on the cranksharft opens up (2 in the image) and draws the charge THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE CRANKSHAFT into the crankcase (3).

There is a larger windowed piece that slips over the crankshaft window marked (1) in the pic, that's held on with a single ball bearing, and I guess makes it a smoother window where the intake actually comes in. CRAZY

I'll grab some more photos as I go, right now trying to source bearings and seals etc. I think 50cc.nl has me set.

Also for the curious, this guy took a very much nicer and more exhaustive set of images of his rebuild:

http://s157.photobucket.com/user/anonnymous/library/Flandria%20Apollo?sort=3&page=1

This is dope!

I wonder if that tiny patch can actually spit out a decent amount of mix into the cylinder?

dont think so, anyone ever port out the inside of their cranks? maybe i'll ask in performance.

Another weird thing that doesnt really photograph is that there are basically no transfers in the case, it goes almost entirely through the piston into lil grooves in the cylinder wall.

You can see the tiny nearly nonexistant case transfers, and also what I meant by the cylinder being diagonal. I mean the base is twisted, not that it comes out diagonal as opposed to vertical or whatever, nothing weird about that...

Also the pedals engage a gear with a DOUBLE spiral worm gear setup. where pedaling forward engages the drive, but pedaling backwards engages the motor to start. my forward retainer is broken, so no pedal function for me at the moment:

i should have seals for this bike and if you tell me the bearing numbers i should heve them also

also heard about your "special" clothing you wore on the ride guess people were glad they were in front of you

SO RAD!

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

So much madness going on here. The coaster clutch function is fucking awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Crazy belgians

From the outside it looks like it was very much inspired by a Sachs motor.

The transferring sounds like how the vespa malossi 43 works. Total swiss cheese piston

Overpriced Parts /

Sooo Kool!

I'm going to sit down and think about this today.

i was sitting in front of it yesterday and planning on taking more photos, but i see that i didnt. damn booze

That's why I quit drinking. Because it makes Will forget shit.

flannnnndreeeeah. wicked.

Found this photo of the intake tract coming down behind the flywheel, and into where it meets the windowed section in the crank:

i love rotary. that shit is bizzonkers.

oh and the cam for the points is removable from the flywheel, kinda handy for timing it with the flywheel of, kinda like a hobbit.

bearings are 6004 6003 and 6203, seals are metal with a rubber inner ring (maybe to help w/ "high" case pressure?) and are both 28 17 7

the same metal outer seals are here:

http://www.dieselparts.it/index.php?id_product=756&controller=product&id_lang=1

apparently old beamers use similar seals too(edited)

sweet, same size as pp and pr derbi's

wicked cool... mad wicked cool... super mad wicked cool... hella super mad wicked cool... etc.

I like this. Got me feeling some type of way.

just thinking about flandies again.

I quit the Flandria motor, anyone want it, it's nuts. but crank's all wallowed out on the small end bushing and the wrist pin. knocks like nutso.

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Also the pedals engage a gear with a DOUBLE spiral worm gear setup.

> where pedaling forward engages the drive, but pedaling backwards engages

> the motor to start. my forward retainer is broken, so no pedal function

> for me at the moment:

Question: those 2 Bobby pin spring clips give reaction to the gears riding on the "spiral worm gear" How much does friction on the slot they ride in matter?

hard to explain, but they give the gear something to push against, so the gears slide on the shaft, rather then just turn, so friction must be a part of their function, but not so much they wear metal on metal, that is the pedal shaft i believe, so no real rpms there.

tomos and sachs have similar little gears and clips, there's some friction but it's not major and I've never noticed it being a problem, either for difficulty of action or unnecessary wear on any of the above.

that windowed out crankshaft is how those little rc airplane motors work

Bump

I know of a guy with Flandria pile. I almost bought it... lost his phone number but i bet I can find him on craigslist.

I know of a guy with Flandria pile. I almost bought it... google saved his contact for me, "flandria moped dude"

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account