Help with burning bulbs

ItsLookingUp /

I installed a CDI ignition in my Tomas Silver Bullet. Now, at idle I get 6 volts but at full throttle I get 18 volts. Do I have to add something else to the electrical system, a voltage regulator, maybe?

Re: Help with burning bulbs

david f martin /

Are your bulbs 6v or 12v?

david

Ree should know what's up. I've got mostly Jap bikes now-- so I was thinking along the same lines you were--- adding a rectifier or regulator....

I like the electrical stuff-- and I'm going to be adding performance parts to my Tomos.... so I hope you get a good answer---!

good luck.

Reeperette /

Yes, you need the regulator if you go from Points to CDI on an old Silver Bullet.

You also need to know if it's puttin out 12v 80w or 12v 50w.

The more wattage one, I believe, is used for the model with turn signals, tho not 100% sure on that.

-R

ItsLookingUp /

The bulbs that were in it are 6 volt. I replaced them with 6 volt and they blew again. So I stuck 12 volt in... they blew!!!

install a fuse box.

ItsLookingUp /

Wouldn't that mean I would then be burning fuses instead of bulbs? I didn't think fuses did anything other than pretect the wiring from excess amperage. Fuses would burn as fast as bulbs did before wouldn't they? I'm not trained at electronic, I'm just guessing.

david f martin /

Yup, that's what fuses are supposed to do. As Ree said, you'll need a voltage regulator. I'm guessing those are pretty generic, since lots of bikes run CDI.

david

go buy a voltage regulator for the 12 volt A3 bikes from the moped junkyard, and replace the present voltage regulator on your bike with it. i converted my 12 volt A3 (golden bullet) and had no problems, but my bike was already 12 volt. i think all you are gonna need is that 12 volt regulator, because the electrical systems of both bikes are fairly similar, just the 6volt magneto and regulator, so now just switch the regulator and u should be ok.

-Garret

Clarification.

Reeperette /

You might wanna doublecheck that...

I do not know all that much about voltage regulators, but it would seem to me that if you buy one that, for example...is made for the TTLX (with turn signals) it's still going to put out too much juice and blow the bulbs out, even with the regulator.

But doublecheck with someone who might know better than me, electronics/electrics are not my specialty, tho Tomos is.

And find out for sure if yours is pumpin out 12v 80w or 12v 50w - that's at least a start towards finding the right one.

-R

Re: Clarification.

yes, the fuses would still blow. but ... while you trace the problem ... you can just replace fuses (that cost less then 25 cents a piece) instead of burning out bulbs (which cost quite a bit more).

if i were you ... i'd get rid of the cdi altogether ... i like that mopeds don't need batteries ... yes, your lights will dim at stops ... but i've never let that bother me. ;-)

Miguel

You

hey ... i rode almost two years w/o a tail light ... and never blew out my headlight. i love my fuse box! ;-)

to be fair ... it wasn't my idea ... the bianchi came w/ on. but ... why not keep it?!!!

Ron Brown /

OK, I am really confused. I thought the last ped that used a regulator was a pre '79 Motobecane. : )

I guess I can see the need if the same power coil provides power to the turn signals and other lamps as the voltage would increase when the turn signals were off.

If anyone has seen a schematic on line, I would like to look at it. I am surprised that the don't match the alternator to the load like other peds.

Meanwhile, Miguel, and any other confused persons. Fuses, as someone mentioned in this thread. simply blow when the current exceeds the rating of the fuse. Given that the problem is known here, there is no reason to buy more fuses or lamp bulbs. CDI ignition does not imply any other changes to the ped's electrical or charging system. After all, lawn mowers are CDI and don't have an electrical system at all.

Ron

Reeperette /

Ron ?

I dunno how he's reading his meter, but there's only like, two Tomos CDI units, one puttin out 12v 80w and the other 12v 50w...I dunno how he's getting "18" from it.

He also put a 12v output CDI on a 'ped with a 6V electrical system, which I find some(but not all) of the Silver Bullets had.

And yes, just about all Tomos come with a voltage regulator, the Bullet, Golden Bullet, Sprint, Colibri and Targa do...apparently some of the Silver Bullets didn't.

What I would reccommend, is that this guy get a good reading on how much wattage that CDI is kickin (cause it's for-sure 12V) and then match that wattage with the bulbs installed, and if need be, some component to "soak up" the excess wattage.....or just buy the regulator.

But that's about the only way to fix this.

-R

Matt Wilson /

Ron,

Do you think that a lawnmower CDI would work on a ped?

Matt

Ron Brown /

Matt,

A long time ago, someone posted on here, saying he had done just that. It seems to me that most lawn mower units are designed to mount on the outside of a rotating magnet, while peds are the opposite, so I have no idea how he did it.

Ron

i'm not suggesting that a fuse box will solve the problem ... i just think they're a good. it's no more complicated than a regular wiring block ... but it can save a bulb. a lot of minarelli bikes are wired so that if the tailight blows out, the headlight will soon follow (and vice versa). so a fuse between those two can save the bulb(s). like i said ... i ran almost two whole years w/o a taillight and never blew out my headlight (though i did go through about one dollar's worth of fuses before i fixed the tailight). mainly, i just think my fuse box is cool. ;-)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account