Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!

Cody Brown /

Hi all, I'm new to the forums.

The reason I've come here is because I am in desperate need of help trying to get my girlfriend's moped up on the road. Here's how the story goes:

My girlfriend bought a 2006 49cc Super Motor B-08 moped off of her uncle a few days ago, to get to and from work. She spent $300 on this thing, and it runs great - the only problems it has are cosmetic. Anyways, so we looked up all of the laws and whatnot of owning and operating a moped here in Michigan, scraped the money together to get it registered and whatnot, and she takes it down to the Secretary of State today, only to find out that her bill of sale and multiple forms of ID aren't enough to get this thing registered and good to go.

Instead, she comes back home with paperwork that she has to fill out, just to get this thing legal. The forms include a Ownership Certification form (the moped never came with a title, and was never registered, which is weird, considering her uncle had this thing for 9 freakin years), a Vehicle Number And On-Road Equipment Inspection form, and a Michigan Department of State Vehicle Uniform Surety Bond form.

She was told that we could go online to find the fair market value of the moped (as they want to charge her 6% sales tax on it), that we need to have a surety bond on it, and have a police officer come to our house to inspect it and fill out the Equipment Inspection form. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to get a moped legally on the road, but paperwork is easy enough, right?

Here's the issues - first off, I've tried searching ALL OVER the place trying to find the "fair market value" of this thing, and can't find anything at all. I have the VIN, and a quick check of the VIN at the Cyclepedia Motorcycle VIN Decoder website gives me this:

The following manufacturers match the World Manufacturer Identifier associated with your VIN, however we do not list any model specific data at this time.

Manufacturer Name: Zhejiang Huangyan Sanye Group Company Lt

Address: No 2 Xintang Road West

Zip / Country / Phone: 318020 China

Product Type: Motorcycle, Moped

Searching the manufacturer name, along with the make and model of the moped, I couldn't find anything at all. So, at this point, I'm clueless as to what to do to find the "fair market value".

Next issue is, how do I go about getting a Surety bond? I've looked up how to get one, and every time, it seems that I can only find companies that deal with Surety bonds for businesses or dealers. I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a Surety bond, but it seems that the lowest price I've found thus far has been 1-3% of the lowest Surety bond coverage price (which is $2500), meaning I could be spending anywhere between $200-$600 just for the bond itself.

I honestly thought buying a moped would make things easier. Pay the $15 to get it registered, the 6% sales tax on it, and you're good to go. Instead, we get this run-around, and I'm absolutely lost on what we should do.

Please, anyone out there that can offer any kind of advice, please do! I would greatly appreciate, as the people down at Secretary of State are unable to offer any kind of help, and I have never had to deal with anything like this.

Subject Written By Posted
  Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Topic by: Cody Brown Cody Brown 05/08/15 08:42PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Rick Bergsma Rick Bergsma 05/08/15 08:48PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Cody Brown Cody Brown 05/08/15 10:15PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Justin Gossett Justin Gossett 05/08/15 10:34PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Cody Brown Cody Brown 05/08/15 10:44PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Stephen Keller Stephen Keller 05/09/15 02:41AM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Ken Roff Ken Roff 05/09/15 06:15AM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Cody Brown Cody Brown 05/09/15 10:54AM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Barn Fresh Barn Fresh 11/19/17 10:23AM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: trick METRIC trick METRIC 11/28/17 08:23PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Fi$ha $weet$, Treat From The Streets Fi$ha $weet$, Treat From The Streets 11/28/17 08:51PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Toledo Riot Toledo Riot 12/01/17 04:16PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: Brad William Brad William 11/29/17 02:50PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: P D P D 11/29/17 08:55PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: A2 Andrew A2 Andrew 11/29/17 03:55PM
  Re: Help Registering Moped In Michigan, Please Help, I'm Desperate!Re: P Dub (OFMC) P Dub (OFMC) 12/01/17 04:02PM
You must log in before posting to this forum.

Click here to login.