tomos flywheel diameter

fred, the diameter of that flywheel is 4 & 9/16ths inches, it already has a TDC mark on it and a mark on the case 2 match it, where do i make my F mark?

-Garret

Re: tomos flywheel diameter

You make the mark 3/4 of an inch towards the front of the bike... from the T mark... (T mark on top)

The flywheel is round... the scale or ruler you will use will be straight.. so carefully ... r o l l ... the scale around the round flywheel... (don't let it 'slide').

Thats it.

Your ignition timing will be set at 19 degrees BTDC.

then if you want to play with it later... just try it before or after that mark.

Check it with the strobe light.

if i use a flexible tape measure (i.e. fabric hemming measuring tape) and WRAP it around the flywheel or lay it so it matches up, wont that be even more accurate? my mom has one of those tapes and i have some old fabric tape measures (from the 1950s) so they would probably work too.

-Garret

Matt Wilson /

Fred,

Is 19 degrees the most advanced that you should set the timing?

Do you mind giving me a breif expanation?

Also to get 19degrees you did this right

4.625Pi=Circumference of the wheel

.75/(4.625Pi) *360 degrees= 18.8 degrees ahead.

Matt

Matt Wilson wrote:

>

> Is 19 degrees the most advanced that you should set the timing?

No.. its just a good typical number for 50cc two strokes of about that 'design age'

(more modern 50cc bikes will probably be a little LESS advanced)

> Do you mind giving me a brief explanation?

Its above

> Also to get 19degrees you did this right

> 4.625Pi=Circumference of the wheel

> .75/(4.625Pi) *360 degrees= 18.8 degrees ahead.

crose enuff

yeah... I even thought of suggesting the flexible cloth tape... but I didn't figure you would know what it was.

That should work fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account