Peugeot 103 .... is that it?

Hi all, new to the moped pedaling world. I have two that I picked up and I was able to license the Peugeot but the gal at the DOL could not find Peugeot or 103 in their system so she registered it as a 1980 model even though Oregon paperwork said 1979 Peugeot 103.

My question #1 is, are there subcategory model specifics for my model? Wondering if you could help identify off of photos alone? Shes not pretty but its fun to ride. I'm 210lbs and it gets my arse up to gps speed of 31mph. Not sure what speed its "supposed" to go.

Question #2 is, after this info, I want to order 70cc kit, pipe and carb. Will aftermarket 20mm carb come jetted for 70cc cyl with expansion chamber?

Thanks.

Re: Peugeot 103 .... is that it?

No, you will need a fist full of different jet seizes till you find what makes the best power and not run too hot.

If your GPS at 31 and its bone stock, that bike is running the best it can. I would not touch it till you learn more about just maintaining what you have.

fabio bruno el buteldafora /

Hi,

Peugeot 103 has a long history. I guess 1979 type could be SP or SPR. About 2/2,5 HP and speed 40 mph or more with standard engine..

Here you can find all models....

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_103

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Pics of Pug? I would recommend that you keep it stock for a while, a long while. Fortunately the 103 had a dry clutch, so you won't be tempted to fill anything up (magneto?) with oil. If you're a good tuner, you can get a stocker to do 40, which is fast enough for a 103.

103 LVS U3 (30mph)

Remove the extra pipe thingy in the exhaust.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Yep just fill the seat tube with SAE ND W40.

C.W.

Ezel Lever /

^ that.

Moto Photog /

Thanks Aaron.

Yep. it does 31mph. Even if I could get it to 35mph, that would be nice.

New belt, Doesn't start that easily. But I dig it. Its a big rough. But that's ok.

Moto Photog /

Harvey, you'll have to check out one of my other threads. I promise. Not nearly as DErP as that one thread makes me out to be.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3825480

YES, feel like a dunce about the oil, but hey someone did the same thing to the other side lmao. Fixing tomorrow when treats belt shows up.

Moto Photog /

Maiden voyage, 1 mile.

Post office.

11064778_10152680285806022_3153736180600666607_n.jpg

Moto Photog /

Missing the chrome stripe for the left side of the tank.

The foot runners that go above the engine, those are cracked. Not bad but not good.

Cracked side covers? no problemo with Aarons Wiki fix for welding plastic.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Plastic_repair

You've already had all the kids you want right?

Just wear gloves.

Andrew Squiggman /

Moto Photog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maiden voyage, 1 mile.

>

> Post office.

Cool! you already surpassed Jim Rees' travels for 3 years! He only ever made it as far as his mailbox.

Omfg you have a black 103 ????

Ok so search and you will find the links to make your bike do 38-40 mph stock. If you don't mind a little lag at takeoff we csn get you to 50mph modded stock with gearing. Anyway.

For 40mp:

Dellorto 15mm SHA #68 jet

+ malossi SHA intake for Peugeot + Tomos reed plate.

Remove the plate in the exhaust pipe. Dremel off the obvious 2mm lip on the top of the exhaust port and smooth it out (chamfer the port) this is the hardest part and it is really easy. It can be done with a file and 5mins.

Remove 3 of the ball weights in the clutch leaving 3 in a triangle shape. AX32 belt

Peugeot's are not the best "first" moped, definitely on the harder end of the spectrum. They can be extremely fast but they are tricky to work on, parts are expensive and timing them is a science that's more of an art then a science. It sounds like it's running great as is. My advice is to keep riding as is and learn about it at a steady pace. Don't be too eager to go tearing it apart unless you have someone knowledgeable to advise you in person.

Best advice would probably be start saving your money and doing research. Buy all the stuff to build a sweet motor and get it all put together before tearing apart a running bike. That way if shit doesn't work out you can always go back to stock with relative ease.

I love my Peugeot, but it can be a little unforgiving.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Moto Photog /

Thanks fellas. The tech at treatland told me the same. He said do carb, do reeds and maybe derestrict that pathetic looking coffee can ("pipe").

It does run well as it currently is. Prev. Owner was a young kid, which always scares me, but he had a new belt installed, and of course some hipster stickers, so I figured meh, what the hell. Cant lose for a titled, happily running, 103 for $500. No engine noise. So I brought it home. For me, If I could do 35-36mph, that would be really all I need. Slow off the start is ok with me.

i'll look into those carbs, and look on treats for reedcage/reeds. If anyone has links specific to the 103 American version, I'd be purchasing today. Will update, and of course, thanks for everyones comments/advice.

Aron pusher has it right.

There are some cheap easy mods to get you mid upper thirties no prob.

And as previously stated the black 103 is kickass.

Honestly if you are looking to build a first bike the 103 isn't the one to have.

Parts are absurdly expensive and they are a little touchy at times once you start fucking with them. They can be touchy even before you start fucking with them.

Peugeot is great, don't listen to the naysayers, my modded stocker goes 44mph, Im skinny though

And they aren't Hard to work on, it's only mopeds

The Real Mike D Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> And they aren't Hard to work on, it's only mopeds

I'm talking relatively.

Work on an urban express or a Maxi then compare it to working on a Motobecane or Peugeot.

Just stoopud. Aluminum threading onto steel, specialty tools that have to be jury rigged, blind circlips, finicky electrics, moving engines, all different fastener sizes, blah.

Plus I just hate the French as a people and a culture. They stopped being cool after they exiled Napoleon the first time.

My grandfather had to liberate their stupid country and I have to fix their stupid engineering.

A couple new years eves ago I met a French girl. When I found out she was an engineer AND French I lost it.

Peugeot are amazing. They are easy to work on. Parts are expensive if you want a streetable race bike, but you can do 40mph for close to FREE.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account