compression loss HELP!!

my 78 moped won't start, i have tried everything, i think it is compression loss. one of the four bolts that keep the head on the cylinder broke, any way to fix that? and i can see some gas leaking out from between the gasket. is there anythink i can do to regain the compression? i have to fix this thing or i will take a sledge hammer to it....

Re: compression loss HELP!!

Dave Gregory /

lol i feel the same way about one of my peds right now....

chuck russo va /

if your gonna wack it with a sledge hammer give it to me

"broke" or 'stripped' ?

If it stripped... then do a search for that word.

it broke, right where the screwing action starts. so that part is stuck in there and will probably never come out... can i only have three screws and still do something to regain compression? are there any rubber gaskets i can buy? any putty or somthing i can apply in the leaky part of the gasket? or do i have no choice but to buy a new cylinder?

Kevin Harrell /

Remove the other three bolts holding the head on. Pull the head. Remove the striped stud. Replace the striped stud with another matching stud. Put the head back on. Problem solved. Not that hard. Just takes time to find a new stud. Try the Moped Junkyard. The stud will be used, but so are the other studs on the bike.

Ron Brown /

Brian,

You don't mention what kind of ped you have, but most peds have studs that pass right through the cylinder and screw into the crankcase.

Take off the other three nuts, pull the head and cylinder and see what you have.

Ron

yeah, your right, i checked last night and it turned out that they pass through the cylinder. but i can put a nut and bolt on there and keep the head on the cylinder. but then the cylinder will only have 3 bolts attaching it to the thing behind it. can i loose compression from there too?

Ron Brown /

Brian,

That stud screws into the crankcase. You need to unscrew it and replace it with a new one. Use vise grips or similar to unscrew it.

Ron

Yeah Brian, replace the damn stud!!!!!! :)

you guys don't understand, the broken piece is inside the hole, i can not screw it out. WTF am i supposed to do?

merlin311 /

hey brian its called an easy out.....

ok ill explain it in steps...

1.go to hardware store tell them you need an easy out i'd amagine it'll be a small one.

2.go home hook the easy out into drill like drill bit.

3.oil the top of the metal ur drilling into with just alittle bit ofd atf

4.now get the damnd thing out and stop saying its hopeless!

merlin311 /

hey brian its called an easy out.....

ok ill explain it in steps...

1.go to hardware store tell them you need an easy out i'd amagine it'll be a small one.

2.go home hook the easy out into drill like drill bit.

3.oil the top of the metal ur drilling into with just alittle bit ofd atf

4.now get the damnd thing out and stop saying its hopeless!

where am i supposed to get a new stud? and i might also need a new gasket, and piston rings. maybe i should just take it to a moped shop. how much would all of this cost?

Wrong

merlin311 wrote:

>

> hey brian its called an easy out.....

>

> go home hook the easy out into drill like drill bit.

>

Mr merlin... you DO NOT put an EZ Out into a POWER DRILL and use it to 'drill' the broken stud out !!

You first locate the center of the broken stud.. CAREFULLY

Then you drill a hole into the center of the broken stud with a drill bit.

THEN

You carefully and slowly use a hand tool (no power tool!)... to srew the EZ Out into the broke stud... (you sreew it in counter clockwise.. 'backwards')... then crack the stud loose and back it out... (hopefully)

Ron Brown /

Brian,

PAY ATTENTION!

A ped motor has a crankcase, a cylinder and a head. Youstarted this thread with a broken head "bolt". I sugested that if you pulled the cylinder, you would find that the bolt went all the way through it. You said it did and that you could hold the head on with a nut and bolt??? but the cylinder would not be attached. I sugest vise grips and you whine that it is broken off "right where it screws in" How the hell are we supposed to know this? We are 10 posts into the thread and you have not said "the stud is broken off at the crankcase, or the base of the cylinder."

If it is sheared at the crankcase, an easyout is your only hope to do it yourself, however, I would find someone who has done it before or take it to a shop. Almost any shop that works on any kind of engine can remove broken studs. If you try it youself, Fred is correct, Merlin311 is on something.

About 3 posts into this thread, someone sugested you get a new one from Moped Junkyard and now you are asking where to get one.

PAY ATTENTION!

If the way you handled this thread and your whiny last post is anything to go by, you probably should just take it too a ped shop and who cares what it costs, Mommy is probably going to pay anyway.

Ron

If the way you handled this

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account