Re: The most EXPENSIVE moped exhaust ever: Build thread

Are you a Damned Wizard?

Speaking of crucibles Will, about a month ago I made an Inconel crucible out of that 601 - 0.10" thick material that I have. Casserollers Ben and Jimbo made a lil foundry following this instructional video-

They melted and blew apart their crucible that was made from the bottom of a fire extinguisher, so I made them one out of Inconel. Just roughly rolled it, cut a circle for the bottom and welded it all up.

They haven't had it up and running again but I'm sure it will work great. They have been melting aluminum cans so I made it big enough to fit a tall boy can inside. If a shot glass size is $75 this one would be pretty damn expensive.

That is so cool.

†▲m †▲m /

such pretty welds

mmmhmmmmmm

i love so much that you 'waste' your time on stupid moped parts.

any schmuck can turn inconel into a beautiful serpentine turbo header for a V8 formula one car, but it takes a true genius to spend the same amount of effort and valuable materials on a muffler for a shitty motorized bicycle.

you sir, are that genius.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Bump for the single most bitchen pipe ever on MA.

I finally got together some prices on the materials used, so I could get a general estimate on the cost. Its definitely way less than some of the numbers that have come up on here, but in material it is undoubtedly still more expensive than any moped pipe (and probably any 2 stroke pipe) ever made. I'm just going to lay it out as if someone were buying all these materials new. You and I realize that this pipe was made from scrap pieces of material that I am fortunate enough to have access to, but lets pretend somebody actually wanted to buy the materials and make this thing.

The 601 0.032" Inconel sheet was 4'x10' and was purchased for $2,241.32. That puts the price $56 per square foot. If laid out correctly I believe the cones could be made with a 2'x4' sheet.

2'x4' 0.032" 601 Inconel sheet- $448

0.045" wall 7/8" Dia. 625 Inconel stinger tube- $63 a foot

0.028" wall 2" Dia. CP2 Titanium baffle tube- $33 a foot

Machined CP2 Titanium ferrule- $86

6- 3" SuperTrapp Stainless discs- $28

Stainless mounting hardware - $3

Fiberglass baffle packing- $10

Misc. items I don't have an exact price on- conservative guess - $100

0.1" 601 Inconel used for pipe mount tab, 1/4" Inconel for flange, 0.06 601 Inconel used for baffle mount, 0.035" Stainless used for baffle caps.

That puts just the materials price at around $771

Comparatively the materials used in a regular mild steel pipe, say a Doppler, probably total less than $50

Thanks for all the comments and interest. It was a great project, I'll try to get that video of what it sounds like up soon and also post on its performance once spring and riding season is here.

Good effing god, man, you'd better insure the hell out of your moped.

Sorry for the delay, the pipe is now ready for its video debut. Even at idle, Toby (Tomos-Moby) sounded like a clattery pile of shit with the original Tomos clutches in there, and then I blew up the first gear clutch on a speed run (hit 65mph though!) I managed to limp it home and as soon as I stopped the motor stopped. It wouldn't even kick over, trans seized. So I shoved it in the corner and decided to wait till I had a clutch solution to even bother opening it up. Finally cracked it open today to put in a Lucky 2 Strokes style modified ZA50 clutch I made.

Here are some clutch destruction pics and the new modded ZA50 clutch-

The new clutch works great so far and no more clattering, I'm also happy with the pipe so far. The exhaust note is low and not too loud. There is a bit of a tinny resonance coming from the chamber, more than likely because of the thin material I used. Note the difference in sound when I get close to the outlet and when I move away.

Now its time to put a bunch more work into the bike and also get to tuning. One of these days I'll start a build thread for the bike itself to show all the detail I've put into it.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Nice work, that's a lot of time. It sounds wicked.

The only pipe that can be passed down to your great, great, great grandchildren spaceship!

-Honest™ (edited)

That is a beautiful bike!....very nice work.

Hell, I can't wait to read about all the work you've done in boxing and bracing the frame so it can withstand all this insanity. Pictures do not due justice to this bike, it must be seen to be believed.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

awesome work! the value of the Pinball Run 2 trophies has just increased! thanks again those were awesome as well

Reminds me of that old JC song.

"I got it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime."

This is amazing. I can't believe I haven't seen this thread! Seriously great work Jake. I'm a turbo guy, so I'm familiar with inconel...never did I ever expect a moped to be blessed with it!

Seriously crazy good work man.

neat! thanks for bumping this post; I missed it the first time around. I seriously enjoyed it so thanks for putting in the time to talk about what you did and how.

wow. c'est magnifique.

Shelby O'Dell /
TheMostInterestingManintheWorld.jpg

ace job jake! your bike is so damn spoiled to have that thing on it

timothy rendall /

Absolutely amazing ! as an engineer (Toolmaker) old school i love to read and see these sorts of posts , I just wish there was more people out there to post more engineering threads.

Well done keep it up :)

How about an engineering forum just for people to post this sort of stuff ?

I would love an exhaust like this for my Grande but I bet it would be more than the bike is worth haha….Cheers on a fly looking one of a kind exhaust

this thing already fell apart.

Blasting too many dicks, Jake.

Oh yeah, this pipe blasts sooo many dicks! Toby ripped extremely hard at the Totfest races and any moped I have ever seen blast would be hard pressed to beat me in a drag race. It's very very quick!!

I let a bunch of people ride it on Saturday at Totfest and everyone came back with a big smile on their face and some with a bit of fear in their eyes. I'm pretty damn happy with it all around.

All funNgames til someone loosens an eye!

yeah. Hands down fasted bike I have ridden! RIPS DICKS!

Jake put up some video!

What does the welding rods cost to do something like that?

So you are ready for the dragrace at MopedGP then?

I am planning to be at Moped GP, but my idea is by then this bike will be sporting a motor built specifically for the stock modified class, so at that point it probably wouldn't do as well in the all-bike drag races. Although who knows, maybe I wont have time and it will just come as-is. Either way fuck yes I hope to be there and ready to race!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account