Columbia Moped

Scot Johnson /

I want to get my son a moped for Christmas. I'm looking for a moped that will be easy to find parts for if he needs to make repairs. This is a 1981 Columbia listed for sale near my house for $425. We are big into motorcycles and I want him to gain street riding experience as soon as possible. In Minnesota 15 year olds can ride a 49cc. I think it would be fun to cruise around with him next summer. We live in a small town and the speed limit is 30 mph everywhere.

Is this Columbia a decent bike? Does the Sachs 505 motor have a good reputation?

My Garage is missing a moped.

Re: Columbia Moped

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Sachs_505/1a_performance

There is some info on the Sachs 505. Good, reliable engine. If it runs, I would say that it is a good deal.

Thats the sachs D motor. So its got a little more pep than its brothers. Also that bike is nice as its tank is plastic so no rust!

Patrick Keaton /

Make sure the front and rear brakes work.If not,try to get it for $399.

Brent Bublitz /

Great bike, I would be all over it at that price. Best Sachs motor you can get.

Monster front hub on that thing too. And storage seat too! My friend has one and its a great bike that has been one of the most reliable bikes ive seen.

That is a sweet bike. I think your son would have a blast riding with you on that. I have been looking for one of those for a little while now. That is a good price, IMHO. If you decide not to get it, please let me know.

Scot Johnson /

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into purchasing it. Hopefully he has the title.

Sachs 1-C 2 HP , 1-D 2.7 HP both use same jug...hope this helps ?

Ive had a lot of problems with the 505 and $400+ is a lot for a columbia... Rock solid frame and when the 505 performs its a pretty decent ride. As far as maintenance (speaking solely from experience) a bunch of puch parts are interchangeable but for speed kits and upgrades it takes a bit of fabrication to make everything smooth and it gets expensive... Also with the stock bike I had more compression issues then I could even dream of... I would look for a puch if I were you, simple E50s are the shit and wicked reliable. Minneapolis has a pretty decent moped following and a MA club so If you ask around someone may have a better bike for the right price.

P.s. Minnesota winter riding is wicked hard.... Good luck.

Scot Johnson /

I'm familiar with the winter riding. I'm at about 4 minute mark in the video on the Sportster.

We would be keeping the Columbia pretty well stock. As long as it'll do 33 -35 mph with a 130 lb kid on it I think that will do.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

If you are looking to keep this bike stock, it should be pretty reliable.

The 505 1D should run mid 30's. Especially if the rider is only 130.

$425 might be a bit high. I would suggest maybe $350 tops if it starts and runs well. With a bike that age, you may be looking at needing new tires as I'm sure they have some dry rot on them.

If you have any questions, I'm down in Hopkins and have a few sachs bikes

Downhill Harvey found some gold. The pintos are the best, the Hondas second best and lastly that Sebring is dope dope.

There are lots of good options here in MN, especially now 'cause of the winter season. Never had a Sachs, but they are known to be reliable if in stock condition so, for the purpose stated, it is a good canidate.

For his son's first bike, I'd say that Swinger would be the best. It's essentially a Puch; E50 engine which means it is one of the most simple, bullet proof and reliable 2 stroke mopeds ever manufactured. It is super easy to work on, cheap and plentiful parts, and when the son gets bored with a 30mph max speed (and he will) the mod options are almost endless.

The Swinger/Pinto is also very popular with those that are into these obsolete machines too so when he moves on to motorcycles, you won't have much of a problem getting rid of it either.

Scot Johnson /

Some nice bikes in those ads. No title is a deal breaker for me. I'm not messing around with anything that doesn't have a title ready to transfer. Been there tried that and learned the lesson it just ain't worth it.

The Columbia in the ad does have a title, the owner is busy doing Christmas things this week. I'm in no hurry so I am still watching all the ads locally. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account