How do I remove the pedal arms on my Puch Maxi Sport

Hey all,

So I'm taking my Maxi Sport down to the frame so I can paint it and I hit a snag trying to get the pedal arms and swindle assembly off. I tried finding a thread or tutorial online with no avail, the only info I was able to find leads me to think that the pedal arm shaft/crank is like one big rod I have to hammer out from the left pedal using an appropriately sized pin, is that right?

Re: How do I remove the pedal arms on my Puch Maxi Sport

Brent Bublitz /

Pretty much, one arm comes off, the other should slide out pretty easy. If you fee the need to do more than lightly tap it with a hammer, you may have a bent shaft.

Ok, that's what I needed to know, the arm that comes off is pretty stuck on there.

Luigi Garzone /

there should be a cotter pin going through the part of the pedal arm that attaches to the shaft, it's secured on there by a 10mm nut

Remove the 10mm nut, you're not supposed to hammer the cotter pin out but that's the only way that ever works for me. Heat helps too, so try using a torch on the cotter pin and then maybe hit it on the threaded end with a rubber mallet or sledgehammer if you're feeling dangerous

the cotter pin is part #1 in this diagram

(edited)

I didn't even know you weren't supposed to hammer the cotter pin.... lol. As long as you give it light taps no harm done and it comes right out

It's best to leave the nut on the last few threads of the cotter pin when you tap on it, to protect the threads

Use a punch. please dont hammer the pin. Or just HAMMER TIME IT! and buy a new one later

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

I took the rubber mallet to the cotter pin and it won't budge just how it is, I'm gonna get ahold of a blow torch and round two it out of there. Thanks to all.

Jeremy Homser /

Be careful not to melt out your pedal bushings

I always hammer the damn pin, theyre cheap.

Emil Kniemel /

bumping this.

i went insane on a cotter pin to get it out. it was old and quite warped any way.

what size do hobbit ones take? i imagine theyre all same same? ive see 9mm and 9.5mm?

edit: i should note that i will be replacing my stock hobbit pedal shaft with the magnum one from treats. the chain side of the shaft is worn where the pedal is and i cant pedal properly.(edited)

When pounding in a pedal shaft I suggest cutting a piece of wood to fit under the shaft so that the blows are transmitted down the wood and not bend the pedal shaft.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account