setting tomos timing

fred, u said if u had the diameter of a flywheel you could tell where 2 make a firing mark for adjusting timing. i want to set the timing on my tomos & i have a inductive timing light, in the tomos A3 shop manual it says that ignition timing is 1.8-2mm BTDC, can i use that info to find out where 2 make that mark? if so how do i to it? and does BTDC mean Before Top Dead Center?

sorry, lotta questions, but i wanna get my timing right once and for all (cdi converted from points) so i only gotta do this once.

i'll find out the diameter of my flywheel if that info dosent help, id find out TDC by pulling my cylinder head & actually LOOKING for when the piston reaches the top, just so i get it right.

-Garret

Re: setting tomos timing

Garret wrote:

>

> fred, u said if u had the diameter of a flywheel you could

> tell where 2 make a firing mark for adjusting timing. i want

> to set the timing on my tomos & i have a inductive timing

> light, in the tomos A3 shop manual it says that ignition

> timing is 1.8-2mm BTDC, can i use that info to find out where

> 2 make that mark? if so how do i to it? and does BTDC mean

> Before Top Dead Center?

>

> sorry, lotta questions, but i wanna get my timing right once

> and for all (cdi converted from points) so i only gotta do

> this once.

> i'll find out the diameter of my flywheel if that info dosent

> help, id find out TDC by pulling my cylinder head & actually

> LOOKING for when the piston reaches the top, just so i get it

> right.

>

> -Garret

No problem Garrett

If you have a timing light... great... you don't need to use the 1.8 to 2mm number.

You can get the same thing by using an F mark that you make.

Just measure your flywheel dia and tell me what it is.

You might have to also make a 'pointer' from a coathanger wire... and line it up with the T mark (the one you already have).. when the piston is at TDC.

THEN use the new mark (I give you) with the timing light after you start the motor.

alright, ill measure the diameter of it tomorrow, will it be accurate enough if i use a tape measure? also, whats the formula u use to find the F mark on the wheel, if u dont wanna spend the time on it, give me it & i can prolly do it myself, just thought id save ya some effort.

-Garret

setting Tomos timing

A tape measure is fine.

Its just based on a typical ... BTDC crank angle... in degrees.

There's really not much to figuring it... just give me the diameter.

fred, sorry i didnt get the measurements, you'll see why in a post im about to make, ill take the cover off & measure it tomorrow, its an iskra 12volt 80watt magneto, same as used on 1992-1995 A35's (same base as the points, just different wheel and equipment on the base).

-Garret

flywheel diameter

ok, got the diameter today (also topped off my tranny fluid, no more funny noises!). its 4 and 9/16ths inches in diameter and already has a TDC mark on it (and the case has a match up mark for that too) now all i need is your help on the firing mark, do you think that overly advanced or retarded timing could cause these four stroking like symptoms? ive been thinking with just getting a bigger carb (a dellorto 15/15L instead of 14/12P, 15mm instead of 12) so id get more TOTAL mixture into that lil cylinder, do you think it would boost performance (because i have a biturbo pipe) or am gonna be wasting money and should just re-jet my stock carb?

-Garret

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account