Home made $5 moped temperature gauge

Simon Belmont /

Hey guys, just wanted to share something, it's a home made temperature gauge made out of $5 digital kitchen thermometer the wires were extended from the base to the metal rod, goop was used to seal the wire ends to protect from moisture, the digital readout part gets attached to the steering handle-bar & rod gets attached in between the metal grills of the cylinder.

Re: Home made $5 moped temperature gauge

Pictures of it on a moped!

A true reading comes from the top of the head where the heat is built. Heat dissipates through the fins, so a reading in the fins will most likely be much cooler and inaccurate.

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

You wont get a useful reading like that since your cooling fins and side walls are a lot cooler than the base of the spark plug.

If it was mounted to the top of the head would it be fairly accurate then? Good idea

Overpriced Parts /

Calibrate it to a trail tech head temp gauge. It needs to be the same. If it don't work/not the same it's worthless

Simon Belmont /

Thanks for your advise guys!

I'll install it onto the top of the cylinder head, the reason I've decided to install this is: switching to a different 2 stroke oil & would like to check/compare if the engine gets hotter or cooler running with it, perhaps later I'll get a thermocouple that connects directly to spark-plug to get a more accurate reading. (edited)

I have tried this specific one, readout goes wonky when the engine is running.

Simon Belmont /

Yes Ven you are right, just wanted to write the update, I was able to bend the metal piece to go around spark plug and test digital temperature readout, if you keep the digital meter on for extended period of time while engine is running, digital thermometer will lock-up showing some error code, to reset you have to remove & re-insert the battery, best thing to do is turn the thermostat on only for a few seconds to see the temperature readout and then turn it off. (edited)

yeah drill a pilot hole left to right 3/4 into the meat of the heat, and pilot sender into it

there's a TC connection it there, you dont need the whole stabby rod

When you break your trailtech, you can use the sensor from these food thermometers. I just drill out the old trailtech sensor and shove this in there, exact same readings.

The nice part of the food display though is it updates way faster then the TT unit.

The sad part is that TT is making these for less than $5 and we buy them at $40- and they break left & right.... That's a 800% mark up...

is it moisture?, i just got that 40 dollar, should i try to seal it better or encase it?

Todd Keingeshaft /

Its been done before.

See this thread...

The connection to the sensor is not very strong, just a slight tug can rip it out.

NKOTB ↑je+ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> is it moisture?, i just got that 40 dollar, should

> i try to seal it better or encase it?

Simon Belmont /

Hey guys just wanted to give an update, the kitchen thermometer stopped working after a few days of using it, so I've purchased TES 1310 Digital Thermometer off ebay for under $11 yes it's bigger in size but I was able to mount it to the handle-bar using gorilla tape. The problem with TES 1310 is that: 9v battery had to be inserted after you start your moped or else screen would go dim, so to get around it, I've purchased a $0.69 cent toggle switch from home depot and re-wired the battery to kick in when the switch is flipped, so to start this thermometer, moped has to be started and then you just flip the switch, works great, I've wrapped the end of the thermal coil to the metal part of spark plug securing it with another coil and did test comparison using it and wireless infrared thermometer, the results are pretty much the same.

Overpriced Parts /

Simon Belmont Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey guys just wanted to give an update, the

> kitchen thermometer stopped working after a few

> days of using it, so I've purchased TES 1310

> Digital Thermometer off ebay for under $11 yes

> it's bigger in size but I was able to mount it to

> the handle-bar using gorilla tape. The problem

> with TES 1310 is that: 9v battery had to be

> inserted after you start your moped or else screen

> would go dim, so to get around it, I've purchased

> a $0.69 cent toggle switch from home depot and

> re-wired the battery to kick in when the switch is

> flipped, so to start this thermometer, moped has

> to be started and then you just flip the switch,

> works great, I've wrapped the end of the thermal

> coil to the metal part of spark plug securing it

> with another coil and did test comparison using it

> and wireless infrared thermometer, the results are

> pretty much the same.

But you didn't test comparison it to a trail tech head temperature gauge. If you did you'd see that both it and the wireless are about 100° off compared to a trail tech .

So both are pretty much useless if being used for seize protection but still can be used for tuning purposes

Simon Belmont /

RE: Ken

Yes, I haven't compared it to trail tech meter, but i'm not about to spend 40 on trail tech when most reviews on it are negative saying it breaks fast, I've also tested both TES 1310 Digital Thermometer and infrared thermometer on other appliances, both show pretty accurate results, I've attached the end of the measuring coil directly to spark plugs metal side so it's drawing heat from it, sure it may be about 5 Fahrenheit off, but 100? i don't know about that. (edited)

I wonder if you could use one of these analogue thermometers? Not as accurate but probably more durable, and no need for batteries.

I use these

^ plus you can use them at thanksgiving!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account