Gas tank rust inhibitor/additivie?

Just spent about a week with vinegar/salt treatments on my Maxi tank per Wiki article with good results. Filled up the tank with fresh premix and after a week it's all crusted over with rust. So I can remove rust but it comes right back. What is it that I'm not doing? Is there a product I can add to my premix to inhibit rust? (edited)

Re: Gas tank rust inhibitor/additivie?

Use a tank liner and you remove the rust

you have to inhibit the rush chemically treat it so call "black it"

many ways phosphoric acid easiest naval jelly, toilet cleaner, tank sealer prep wash... or many other methods. Once oxides develop, it is the best primer or just oil it and rust wont resurface

Did you rinse the tank out with something like baking soda to neutralize the acid once you were done?

Did vinegar/salt 24 hr. treatments, flushing with water, then gas. Repeat five or so times. Each time less junk flowed out of the petcock opening until I thought I finally got it.

One of the last steps was to dump some baking soda into the tank with some of the vinegar solution in there and let it bubble out; but it's possible the acid wasn't fully neutralized. Then rinse with water, followed by rinse with gas.

I might do the Kreem treatment. (edited)

dont kreem unless you've very completely and perfectly removed the old rust.

I've never kreemed a tank but have had a few that were done previously and ALL were total horrible garbage.

realistically the oil in your gas oughta keep it from getting too rusty, and a fuel filter saves you if it did get rusty. a lil bit of rust coming off is alot easier to deal with than giant globs of kreem

Julie the Wizard /

I've heard kreem is garbage too, but I'm paying a shop to do my tank professional. I want to see for myself just how garbage it is. No rust in the tank, perfect condition. If it fucks up my tank, I can just strip out the lining and use something else.

no big deal. mopeds are fun.

Julie the Wizard /

Actually, I take that back. I called them up real quick and they haven't kreemed it yet so I asked if they wanted to do POR-15 instead.

So we'll see, either way you can totally eat the shit out of kreem and clean it out with a few solvents if shit gets fucked up.

Apparently fuels high in ethanol will also destroy the fuck out of kreem, but I use clear gas so I'm good in that section.

Jerry Franek /

POR15 after thorough cleaning is the way to go.

POR is better for sure. I had a maxi frame that the prior guy had cleaned and dipped at a car shop for like $75 bucks

Kreem is shit, don't bother.

If you want to line the tank, and don't feel like going through with por-15, red kote works well.hdjthcwtc

I used red kote on a 4 wheeler tank a couple months ago that had some pinhole leaks. Followed directions and let it dry for a week... So far so good.

tank linings are all horrible. i have seen more than one "professional" job flake and make a mess.

and they are really difficult to get the whole way out. it requires chemicals like MEK, which is expensive and horrible to work with

get it clean. evaporust is what i use. then keep the tank full of premix, top it off when it will be sitting more than a couple weeks. add some sta-bil if its going to be longer than that. no rust, no lining chunks. and always use a fuel filter.

POR 15 is the best... just make sure you buy the kit that has the degreaser, metal prep with it. Follow the directions. I've done probably 6 tanks in the last 4 years and non of them have failed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331250109656?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I used Red Kote with great success—$35 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X0JOSM/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account