Just bought a PA50, this is completely different

As the title says, I just bought moped #3, #1 is actually a noped QT50 still in project stage, #2 is an '86 Puch Maxi with some mods and a rider, and now I bought a 1979 Honda PA50I

This is nothing like my Puch.

The previous owner, bought it, put new tires and tubes on it, cleaned it up, made it complete, rode it a little and parked it with the rest of his motorcycle collection. I have cleaned out the tank, next I guess I have to figure out how to get to the carb and clean it, check the plug and start it (which I am really not that clear on how to do).

The bike is complete down to the tool kit and in very good condition. I only bought it to "putt" around on and loan to friends so I have someone to ride with when on my Puch. I'd like to eventually mod it some but not heavily. I've looked over the Wiki and information seems sparse, though I know people have modded the heck out of these.

I've know the previous owner long enough to know that he takes care of his bikes, on all his 2 cycle bikes he runs the fuel out of the carb before putting them away and if they will sit for a while he removes the plug and puts a little oil in the hole and puts the plug back.

I guess I'm just looking for simple PA50 pointers and what to do next to get a few MPH out of it after I get it running. Thanks.

Re: Just bought a PA50, this is completely different

It is nothing like any Puch you will see. Start it by pedaling, auto starter clutch.

Clean the carb like it has Russian nuclear secrets, I am not exaggerating. Use very fine wire, air, chemicals, ALL OF THEM. Check/clean and gap the points. Be very sure the air filter, tray and snorkel are in place.

Put a pipe on it (Proma, MLM, Weakends) with the stock jet and do 38-40. Get a BX40 belt if yours isn't in great shape. Then, kit (DR is preferred), upjet, notch the vario and do 50+ and get there like you are on fire. Then, TJT pulley.. get mad scientist with a crack scale and vario weight tuning and get much closer to 60 than you want to be on the stock brakes.

From there it is a very slippery slope. Carb/intake, bigger better kit, rear pulley tweaking/tuning, more vario weight craziness.. Liquid cooling. Then you get to sit next to me in the psych ward.

Enough detail for ya?

That is indeed helpful. Thank you.

Bike mechanic friend use to work on these a lot, he had a Hobbit and PA50s, unfortunately gave away all his parts years ago. He said I have to drop the engine for easy carb access. I'll talk to him more tomorrow, but remove front engine mount bolt or rear?

hit all the basics first.

truely those will net you the greatest increases in speed. (0-25mph)

research the difference between paI and paII (25-35mph)

only then, delve into the buddy hobbit (35-45mph)

Carb access is the biggest downfall of the Hobbit. You can find methods in the wiki at the top of your page. I prefer to remove the large pivot bolt, disconnect the throttle cable and lift the front wheel onto something like a bucket.

Getting a pa50I is the biggest downfall of owning a hobbit I thought?

That one is a PA50II, they all were in that year.

what year do you think it is Ryan? op says 79

red footrests

If it is indeed then yeah that is a PA50I.

That front basket is super cool. My 79 is yellow. Same seat and bars. I want a red one now.I think Ryan thinks its cdi bike. Should be points. (edited)

Just bought a PA50I, restricted 20 mph version

fallout Survivor /

I hope you paid low money since this version is severely restricted by gear ratios, single reed, tiny intake and exhaust ports. You can read about the extensive modifications necessary to derestrict it in the wiki.

ryan comment incorrect...

fallout Survivor /

1979 PA50IIs were yellow. PA50Is red.

Seems like any confusion has been cleared up, but I am just going by the sticker on the headtube that says 1979 and PA50-I.

Kevin Hurt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That front basket is super cool.

The basket was the first thing I removed, it is made specifically for the PA, it attaches at top to the 2 tabs that hold the front plastic horn cover in place and at bottom on the screw that holds the horn cover in place. It is pretty sturdy. Interested?

Re: ryan comment incorrect...

Ancient Mariner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 1979 PA50IIs were yellow. PA50Is red.

Yes sir, I have both, all red and/or all yellow

That one looks like my first

Thanks for all the help, based on what I've read here and the Wiki and provided links, I'm on the lookout for a PA50II reedblock, intake, and carb, and variator plate.

After that I was thinking maybe this would be nice? Honda Hobbit Stocko Shocko Extremo 60.2cc kit from Treats

Of course a pipe with that, love the Tecno Circuit on my Maxi, but want to keep the center stand on the PA50.

simon thokaar /

splurge for the proma circuit.. its amazing on hondas and you wont loose your stand.

scott middleton /

proma is blasty... and it's loud as hell. (edited)

nevermind. (edited)

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

That's the super rare 82 in lovely coral red. I have exactly the same bike. Protip: you can figure out what year it is from the plate stamped on the head tube

I kindly disagree @andy ... that is definitely a '79 PA50-I but still my fav color scheme...

this is the -I 20mph but actually fairly easy to stockish mod w simple bolt on changes like -II cylinder, pipe, -II reeds/intake/carb and ramp plate (read wiki and links), or go with kit and proma pipe and -II reeds/intake/carb and -II or aftermarket variator n ramp plate

has the -I points motor (not -II cdi type) and the front basket is a bit of a rarity. (edited)

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

Ah, you're right! I'm hung over as hell. Lovely bike either way.

Been shopping around, looks like I can get a reed cage from Treats, PA50II clone carburetors are cheap and everywhere, the intake may be hard to find, but with time I can bore out mine, as for the variator plate, I don't see those anywhere.

Hugs and goosing!

fallout Survivor /

I am so happy to meat your acquaintence.

Yellow, red, coral red and black PA50s are nice to own.

How much did you pay for it?

fallout Survivor /

Inquiring minds wish to know...

81 red

82 corral red (edited)

Do NOT get a clone carb, they are not jetted right at all and have no available jet in mostinstances . Get the proma, it really is the most massive punch for thr price. Avoid the stocko shocko, just spenda tiny bit more and get far more performance on the DR wwith exactly the same amount of work involved for install. Just make sure you jet. 90-95 will do it on a pa50II spec bike. You can make all of the slow parts equal to the faster versions, except the vario ramp plate. It can be modified but would have to be very precise and isn't really worth the effort.

It's red.

The Carrot Flower king /

Since I'm too lazy to read all the posts. To make your hobbit go fast all you need to do is:

1.) polini kit

2.) MLM pipe because fuck yes

3.) tear the pedals off and rig up a pull start with a ciao variator

4.) Get a Native American medicine wheel and hang it from your gas cap

5.) go 65 miles per hour

Good find. It looks to be in very nice shape.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account