$278 Red Light Ticket

Simon Belmont /

Location - Brooklyn.

Was riding my moped the other day, when cop stopped me and handed a ticket for red light violation which I don't recall violating but I know better then to argue with cops so I didn't, the thing is on the ticket he put down a wrong intersection address where violation occurred, the intersection which he put there doesn't even exist on the map, If i plead guilty I'd have to pay 278$ and most likely will get 3 points on my license, so I'm thinking I should try and fight this ticket, or is it useless to do so? any thoughts?

Re: $278 Red Light Ticket

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Yeah, fight it. I'd think that if the intersection doesn't even exist then it'll just be thrown right out.

Fight the power, man.

Princess Rapunzel /

Haven't the police in NYC gotten really nazi-ish about everything? I hear they're pegging fixie riders with red light tickets a whole ton these days, and that incident with that fixed dude hitting that woman made it even worse.

I don't know how traffic court in NY is or if this helps. Here in Santa Cruz, CA for over ten years, I have gotten out of every ticket I should have paid except for one. Because I went to court, I only paid half the fine on that violation. Here, we have to pay the fine whether we fight the ticket or not. What I learned a long time ago is this, ask for a traffic court date as far away in time as you can. Then in the very last period of time that you can, change it for as far away as you can. I think here we can do it twice. Then, when you do finally show up the odds are very good that they have messed up the paper work or the cop has transferred and the case is thrown out. Every time you delay, the court has to notify the popo and that is when they usually drop the ball. It is a pain in the ass and if we win here it takes them forever to pay it back but it's worth it. The system works us every day, 24/7/365. IMHO, we should work it when we can.

Guilty!!

fallout Survivor /

Baliff, wack his pee pee!!

Michael Tracy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know how traffic court in NY is or if this

> helps. Here in Santa Cruz, CA for over ten years,

> I have gotten out of every ticket I should have

> paid except for one. Because I went to court, I

> only paid half the fine on that violation. Here,

> we have to pay the fine whether we fight the

> ticket or not. What I learned a long time ago is

> this, ask for a traffic court date as far away in

> time as you can. Then in the very last period of

> time that you can, change it for as far away as

> you can. I think here we can do it twice. Then,

> when you do finally show up the odds are very good

> that they have messed up the paper work or the cop

> has transferred and the case is thrown out. Every

> time you delay, the court has to notify the popo

> and that is when they usually drop the ball. It is

> a pain in the ass and if we win here it takes them

> forever to pay it back but it's worth it. The

> system works us every day, 24/7/365. IMHO, we

> should work it when we can.

Thank and You.

Bailey Williams /

I got the same fine for blowing a red light in downtown brooklyn on my bicycle last month, the ticket still isn't online and i called dmv to find out what to do and they said its not even in their records and told me just to wait it out. NYC traffic violation system is fucked. i've heard from a couple people that doing exactly what Agent Smith was talking about is also effective in NYC, so give it a shot

Colin Garbage *Upjet Sucks* /

I've been issued a few tickets like this in NYC. The cop usually marks the vehicle type as a class-A motorcycle which should be enough to get it tossed if you were riding a ped. I've also had bs tickets given to me that never showed up in the online database.

Read the small print, google search online

fallout Survivor /

I do not think you actually admitted guilt.

In jurisdictions I know of, you are required to sign the ticket , which only admits you recieved the citation from the officer.

Then you have the choice to admit your guilt and pay... or request a hearing.

If this has changed, then we have become a faciast police state.

Somewhere on the ticket should the information you need .

You should not have pleaded guilty. If you did you may have no recourse except to 1) pay the ticket or 2 ) appeal.

You really need to google search disputing traffic citations on local web sites. (edited)

In CA if you want to fight a ticket you have to pay the "bailment" which is the same amount as the fine. Then if you do not show up your "bailment' is forfeited. If you are found not guilty you get your bailment back.

I think most states work the same.

Pain in the butt to wait while they write the ticket n stuff, then have to spend time to "fight" the ticket - but $278 is $278 so worth getting it tossed out and not lose points in the license.

Wonder if anyone in the cash grab department keeps a tally on which officer writes the most bogus citations which do not stick?

Simon Belmont /

Well, the ticket didn't show up in online database but it says on it that you must submit your plea within 15 days, so mailed it in & got reply in the mail to show up in person next year Sept. 2015, a lot of people must be trying to fight there tickets resulting in such long delay.

Re: $278 Red Light Ticket 11 months to hearing?

fallout Survivor /

Sept 2015?

In my state and jurisdiction, I can take a ticket directly to the city attorney, and argue to have it nullified. I have done it successfully twice, within a couple of days. You have to walk in and wait to say demonstrate you have insurance or get the attorney to throw it out. There is a small chance you can do the same in your jurisdiction.?

agent smith is right. im from brooklyn if you'd like the lawyer by the dmv in brooklyn if you pay them about $200 they fight the ticket for you using the same approach smith said usually they win. remember the 3 points will also increase your insurance so you'll be paying both ways

Fight it. No lawyer involved.

They have you prove your guilt, you don't have to prove your innocence.

Or at least that's how it used to be in The Police State of Amerikkka.

Christopher Stawski /

Fight it

Guilty for an offence you didn't do on an intersection that doesnt exist is plain stupid.

Here, In Quebec, if there is any error on the ticket it's very very easy to win

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account