Sachs transfer ports

Rich Swingewood /

Hey,

Would making the transfer ports on a, 505 jug the same as a Puch E50 cylinder improve the low end?

The Puch transfer ports are more slots than holes unlike the Sachs., it would difficult to slot the Sachs ports.

Cheers

Rich

Re: Sachs transfer ports

Only some of the e50 cylinders have open transfers, the hi-torque cylinders dont. The difference is in the manufacturing. Casting the transfers open with an all aluminum cylinder easier and reduces cost. I believe the sachs cylinder is cast this way as well, but it has a iron sleeve pressed in instead of plating directly on the aluminum. You would increase the transfer volume slightly, but at the same time the port window would remain the same. I don't think you would see any noticeable gain from opening the transfers alone, and I don't think it would be low end. I'd do a compression test. You want to make sure your rings are in good shape and that the decompression valve isn't leaking. Loss of compression will hurt your low end.

sachs transfers are pretty good out the box, they are weak at the intake and exhaust ports.

^^Bingo to both these guys, since they know what they are talking about , mind you a stiffer Donut spring on yer auto clutch will engage at a higher speed thus make for more power for the lower end...I have a 1-d on my G-3 so i know this too be true...

Rich Swingewood /

Cheers guys,

I've managed to get higher rpm out of my Sachs but with loss of power at the bottom end. I have also cut donut spring a little shorter, not much but it is noticeably stiffer and it still engages at around 3000rpm. I think the power band starts aroung 4500.

I think the next step is a better exhaust but f'ing expensive getting one sent to OZ. Been trying to find one that I can Retro fit.

I suppose I can always change the gearing, maybe one tooth more on the back sprocket, or one less on the drive end but that would loose top end.

Cheers

Rich

If i might ask , when was the last time you cleaned the carbon out of your exhaust muffler ? a clogged one will do evil things , if ya know what i mean ?

Rich Swingewood /

First thing I did to the bike when I got it, the thing runs a shit load better now than when I got it.

The one thing I must say is the exhaust port is a bit loose in the jug molding, tried to punch around it with a centre punch but no luck, I could be loosing a little power with a small leak in the port.

Cheer

Rich

the euro ones are removable

it's pretty pointless though. some of em are restricted that way but when it is you can see it doesnt open the trans all the way at bdc, like the bottom of the trans and bottom of exhaust dont even match. only seen it on the super restricted late model B's that still have the 44 crank. generally though it doesnt matter.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account