carb question

Automotive carburetors have accelerator pumps. Why not small moped carbs? Does anyone make them?

bb

Re: carb question

Because they are so small and don't need them.

Don't Need them? Why do cars need them?

Because the carbs are large.. I think that is EXACTLY the point I made in my first post.

Large throttle plates open quickly and rush FAR more air than could be matched with fuel, so they squirt a small bit to give all that air something to burn with. A small moped carb, even when opened quickly does not have the volume or velocity to surpass the jet's ability to mix. Even my 24mm flat slide has only been able to do it ONCE, when I whacked the throttle as fast as I could at a stop and it coughed and almost died. Never once while riding has it been an issue.

Got any more comparisons to try and make?

A moped is 49cc , a car is 2500cc to 7000cc and needs a little kick from carburetor . Fuel injection is controlled by fuel pressure or computer. Mopeds don't need it.

Has it never been tried? A lawn mower engine ( four stroke ) has a very similar carb. Can I expect similar acceleration? The tractor back home had the same pedestrian acceleration? Why is the 2-stroke different? jus askin' ain't no scholar

bb

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account