Sprocket combo's on your za50

What do you guys run and what are the pro's and cons. I have the 18/35 on a 65cc.

Re: Sprocket combo's on your za50

20/35 torque for days. Definitly worth the case mod. Still space to go bigger.

20/45 no low end but obvious benefits at the top.

If you have a strong motor with a balanced power band a 20t up front will make you happy with 35/40/45. Gear for the kind of riding you do.

I am curious also but am confused by what you said Johnathan. With a 20 up front would not a 35 rear be much better for speed and the 45 better for torque?

Tom

Overpriced Parts /

18x35 is nothin just like 11% more gear so you start out first shift in second and there's nothing left there is no more 3-4 gears like in a shifter bike. You need to go from first gear to Top Gear not second gear so you need to have much higher gearing. 21x35 on high-powered kitted polini and Gila za50 bikes

Is what I run and 20x35 on mild piston port kits with small carburetors.

I have no problem pulling that gearing especially with a good first gear clutch.

Ultimately it depends on the combination, your clutch setup, and where your engine makes power.

I really should have posted my entire build for reference:

2hp ZA guts matched for Polini. Reeds. Del 21mm. CDI. Flipped 2nd. Roller crank. 6p. Temp Gauge.

I have no off the line power with 20/45 and all kinds of it 20/35.

It's crazy but I swear by it. Uphill climb into the power band all the way up first.

But I dont really know what I'm talking about so here is a quote and a plea for Ken Roff to post.

"In theory increasing the number of teeth on the front sprocket and/or decreasing the number of teeth on the rear sprocket you will result in higher top speed, lower acceleration and better fuel economy. And vice versa: decreasing the number of teeth on the front sprocket and/or increasing the number of teeth on the rear sprocket will result in lower top speed, higher acceleration and worse fuel economy. However whilst generally true in practice this is not allways the case, mostly due to the power output of the machine at certain revs being higher or lower than at others."

here is a link that I wish had more info:

ZA50 Speed/RPM

Holy shit it took me 24 minutes to be late to the game.

Touche Roffman

I'm running 20-35 on my blaster ped with an AJH clone tm24 carb and BK100 (a bit much of a pipe, but way fun) 17x2.25 tires

I'm also running 21-38 on my magnum at the moment with a dmp 17.5 phbg clone treats pipe and 2.75 hedenau's. I'm thinking I need to check the kit for defects though as I can only get 41 out of it inconsistently and it never hits the pipe.

18/35 is pretty tall for San Francisco hills...If you live in flat area you can go taller...I run 20/40, pretty much the same as 18/35 here in Baltimore city where believe it or not is pretty damn hilly but not as bad as there...If I was in San Fran I would probably go 19/40 or maybe 18/40 depending...

He's confused....

Had not thought about the powerband thing; good point, sorry.

I have a stock cyl/piston Maxi ll with a 4mm bing/mesh filter and a Techno circuit pipe and am trying to get the best gearing for it here on Cape Cod which is mostly flat, some hills but not steep. Started out with stock 18/40 and have switched to 18/36 which may be a little high.

18/36=20/40= 2:1 ratio a good relaxed RPM ratio for cool running long rides...

Dirty30 Dillon /

I am running 21x35, in very hilly CT and my ported Kstar/vm20/gigantour pipe pulls me up everything and still does low 50's on flat ground.

Overpriced Parts /

Bobby Selby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 18/36=20/40= 2:1 ratio a good relaxed RPM ratio

> for cool running long rides...

Not for a kitted bike 18x36 is horrible only stock cylinder is ok.

With 18x36 only 3 mi gain at same rpm @ 30 mph so then 33mph .

At 55 mph your overreving bad with that gearing and will throw clutches and shread 1st gear

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

I'm running 20/38 with a eurokit, mlm rev run and a 21phbg.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Also there's this if you want to play around with different sprocket combos and get an idea of the results.

http://toolbox.martysgarage.info/

When you have to constantly stop and start on hills and speeds limits under 30 mph, inner city stop and go I like to at-least hit 2nd gear once in a while so the gearing I choose suits the conditons real good...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account