honda super cub

mike mazzara /

just picked up a cub yesterday, 1965, this thing is cool.

Re: honda super cub

mike mazzara /

I guess it"s not a real moped, because it has a 3 speed trans.

And no pedals.

And its a scooter.

-p0tty - Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And its a scooter.

Motorcycle.

DPC Ryan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> -p0tty - Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > And its a scooter.

>

>

> Motorcycle.

Looks like according to MI law it's a technically motorcycle because it can go over 30mph.

And can shift, and has electric start, and is over 50cc with a top speed over 30. At least as far as Florida is concerned, it's a motorcycle by every regulation. Even a streetmate isn't legally a moped here though, scooter.

mike mazzara /

no electric start, but will go abought 40mph, it"s not a scooter.

add some photos - they are fun - 50 70 or 90 ? the pushrod motors sound real nice

most of the 60's 70's ones aren't electric start nor over 50cc. The shift is semi automatic, no clutch, but typically by most state laws it's a motorcycle.

I think the best technical definition of it's class of bikes is 50cc underbone motorcycle.

Most produced vehicle of all time. why? because they fucking rule. Essentially unchanged for 50+ years, why? because they fucking rule. Almost every single motorcycle, pitbike, and ATV with a 4 stroke shifter motor under 150cc is based on the cub motor, why? because they fucking rule.

Mine had over 20,000 miles on the original cylinder, would pull 2 people comfy over 40mph and got around 150mpg, without even needing premix. plus they're dead sexy, and you can still pretend it's a moped and not register it.

SO MUCH WIN.

was just riding my buddy's 65 cub. pretty sweet. but changing gears is a little wierd.

yea the reverse shift pattern and no clutch is def weird, especially going down from 3rd to N. it was my first shifty though so it seemed natural and i actually had a weird time transitioning to normal

I can't get past the stupid cantillever front suspension...

love the Cubs. but yeah as cool as the front end looks, ugh want a pain in the ass

@ graham

stupid and maintenance free except for a shot of grease - designed to work with the 16 inch rims for the shitty roads of japan after we bombed them back to the stone age (edited)

I rode my buddy's and I really loved it. Don't understand the hate for them

somebody say stupid suspension???

mike mazzara /

yeah the shift pattern is weird, but I am getting used to it, nice smooth motor, but the lifters tap some. No it"s not a moped, an small motorcycle would be more accurate. I am without a moped for now, but next year I would like to get another vespa ciao. I'm sorry I sold mine now. I've had a few different makes and I liked it the best.

The Greatest Ever Motorcycle, as chosen by the documentary "Greatest Ever Motorcycles"

simon thokaar /

Probably the second time i ever rode one it died on me at a stoplight. Dropped it to neutral and fired it back up, gave it gas and didnt go anywhere. Remembered to shift it into gear and i ended up riding a wheelie thru the intersection. I about shit my pants but i feel as if i pulled off the "this is intentional" look when i waved at the harley guy going the other way.

yeah the last one i had, i sold to someone i shouldn't have sold it to. was getting ready to move and had to unload it, dude fucked it all up and its probably sitting rotting in the weeds somewhere now after i spent way too much time and money fixing it up.

someday i'm going to have to get one to purge the demons but for now its too soon.

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

I love mine. I love it more than any moped I own.

my first one got sold when i got my ts50 (6 speed liquid cooled 50 shifty 2 stroke enduro is about the only thing that could ever replace my cub...)

the girl got it stolen about a year ago, and 2 weeks ago a guy tries to sell it to skip (swoop)

we pick it up, got it all running right yesterday. holy fuck i miss that beast, it's such a rad bike.

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/My+Cub

mike mazzara /

I know this is not really a moped, but can anyone let me know where I can get engine parts for this?

simon thokaar /

bikebandit

I have a box of spare engine and tri knits for my old cub. Still have wheels and forks and other stuff. What are you looking for

mike mazzara /

top end of engine, jug and head, piston.

whole cub for parts - this guy has bought vintage bikes from me before - i forgot his name - he's a good guy and will probably ship - let him know steve from phillipsburg nj sent you

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4630814678.html

NB0tt aholetechbro /

There's a lot of info on the Battle Scooters section of advrider.com along with where to find parts.

The cub is still being sold today brand new in the US by SYM as the Symba. There was a husband and wife that rode brand new Symba's around the world with hardly any issues at all and another guy from San Jose who rode his up to Alaska and back. The newer ones are pretty ugly but I still want one.

dratv.com best parts for cub/passports

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account