63 MPG on a '78 Puch

I know people are always curious about the miles per gallon, so I filled up my 78 Puch Newport, recorded the odometer reading, and started riding.

My normal ride is uphill, up a very steel hill, to school, so that's my theory on why it's 63 mpg, and not higher, as others have recorded.

Oh, and (with Decepticon Dan's help) the Newport was run until it ran out of gas, switched to "reserve", and then run until it was REALLY out of gas.

63 mph. up lots of hills.

mpg, NOT mph

at the end there, i wrote "63 mph" which of course is not right, for a stock Puch. :) it's miles per GALLON.

Re: mpg, NOT mph

DANG YOU WENT 63 MPH ON YOUR PUCH?

DO U HAVE A BITURBO? LOL.

woops.

Are you sure it's even 63miles....i thought that we determined that your ped read kilometers on the odometer?

Ouch--- so it's more like 30 miles--- man your going to go broke paying for gas

no, that's the Maxi

brian, not casey /

My Maxi is the one that reads odometers. Because it has a Tomos speedo.

The Newport went 63 miles on a tank.

Re: no, that's the Maxi

Ron Brown /

Brian,

Doesn't that mean you did 63 odos?

Seriously, did it take exactly 1 gallon to refill the tank after the test?

Ron

Wow, I made one typo after another. Of course I meant that my other ped registers kilometers.

Anyway... good question about putting a full gallon in it. I only had a half gallon with me, so I put that in. So, no.

However, it was definitely empty. Dan rode it until it died. Then switched it on reserve, and ran it about 5-10? miles and it totally ran out. And it was definitey full when I recorded the original mileage.

So the only thing I'm unsure about is whether or not the tank actually holds one gallon. But it says it does...

Ron Brown /

Brian,

Just drain the tank into a gas can, then fill it as full as it was before the test. This is the only way to know for sure.

The other way is to drain the tank, put a measured amount in, then ride til it runs out. You can do this with a smaller quantity although the less you use, the more chance of conditions of the ride affecting the result.

Ron

cool, thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account