1980 columbia commuter issues

SDizzle johnson /

There's very few people who know about Columbia Commuters but I'm going to ask anyways. When you push the moped or try and start it it jump forward and wont start if you put the the kick stand on some wood and the back tire is off the ground it starts right up no issues. If you push on the engine in a downward position about 3 inches it starts right up no issues and stays running. I'm just confused on why it would do that and if anybody has any answers. Thank you

Re: 1980 columbia commuter issues

SACHS or Solo ?..if Sachs , they are all like that , not sure if you can bump start a Solo ?

SDizzle johnson /

Thank you for responding I have a solo what do you mean bump start.

Push or bump are about the same..I never liked how the ingage bar on the Solo worked , it's kind of a janked setup that only works if you are starting it on the stand...I once owned a 79 Columbia Solo Commuter but not anymore ....

pushing the engine I assume you're forcing the belt loose.

then that's your issue, seems like a clutch problem. it's stuck engaged and unless you're pushing the belt loose and essentially disconnecting the clutch, it wont run.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account