I'm interested in Michelin gazelles...

Bill Habekost Jr. /

How do you like'em ? are they good for on/off road? or mostly road riding

Re: I'm interested in Michelin gazelles...

Overpriced Parts /

Off-road? what moped is design for off-road?

I take my magnum on off road trails like by tracks but with its full tube frame and Hydro forks it does ok for a moped. A stamped frame/step through type moped I would never take off-road unless I didn't care if it broke in half. Knobby type tires are the best for off road. (edited)

image.jpg

I find the sidewalls to be so stiff, they don't handle well and are a pain in the ass to mount. Not to mention wearing faster than any other tire I've run...

But hey, everyone else seems to love them.

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

They are pretty good. Pussies complain about how hard they are to mount. Are you smarter than a brainless piece of rubber? Put it in the clothes dryer for 15 minutes then dish soap the edge and they slide right on. If I can do it with one arm,,, you can do it with 2. Get some 2.25 and forget about it.

Love em! Took me less than 5 mins to mount by hand with no tools. So yeah...not that damn hard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CD5HDE/

Look at the pic I posted in this review. Dead serious.

Gnihton orez /

loved (LOVED) mine. Cornered great, you can take them over sticks and dirt and shit and not worry about little thorny punctures. Hard as hell to get on. I've installed a few pair. Baby powder or soap. Work them by hand until you can't any more and then break the paddles out. You'll get them on and they last a long long time. They're heavy tires. They feel big.

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

I used smooth butter knife handles and soap one time

I like them and they seem tough and their harder to get on than others, but I bought mine from Treats almost 2 years ago and put 3500mi.on them and still got 4/32 left on the rear one the front still looks new but they seem to have some cracking on the sidewalls a little bit like their dry...that might be because I don't know how old they are and how long they sat before I bought them...Just-saying...

Yep, they really aren't that hard to install if you do it the right way.

They have a lot of rubber on them, and while it's true that they tend to wear fast and develop flat spots in the middle, there's so much rubber that they will still last a long long time and be quite resistant to punctures.

I got gazelles primarily cause they looked like they'd be good on wet grass, leaves, dirt, and gravel, and they are. No problems installing them.

If you want longer wear on the street get something with a solid center strip. The SR241 also looks interesting, similar chunky profile, maybe a little more aggressive/dirt oriented, but with a line of tread down the center (where the gazelle has a gap) which will probably wear better on the straights.

Or the deestone world travel D-776 if you want to stick to 2.25

GL

~M (edited)

these are nice offroad tires:

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/assets/images/builds/12738/faaca11e30f59ae973d9240e1aa12f55.jpg

Honestly get whatever you want. tires matter little on a bike so tiny. if you're goin thru mud, a 2.5 will still sink, but if you're on hard pack & roads the beefy tires slow you down pretty considerably

then why do i keep putting knobbies on everything?! it does set off the look

No!!!!!

Go for the GP1's! SUPER STICKY! You'll love them!

https://www.treatland.tv/hutchinson-GP1-tire-p/moped-tire-hutchinson-2.25.htm

Bill Habekost Jr. /

I bought a pair and they Do feel real heavy,haven't mounted them yet.I should'a probably got a lighter pr. of tires for less spinning weight.

Heavy as fuck, hard, and yeah a bitch to mount. Think about it... Why would you want a tire that needs heated up to mount? If rather have a sticky tire I need to replace sooner than a stupid hard one that handles like a lump and makes your bike feel twice as heavy. Oh and yea all the tough guys will say your a pussy if you can't mount them blah blah but that's like some idiot who says "jalapeΓ±o's aren't hot!" ...some people want to seem tough. Personally, I have broken my wrist so even a sava takes a little more than it used to. I'll be damned if I'm going to the trouble to put a tire in my dryer (for clothes!) or my oven (for food!). Let's get real. Gazelles are straight garbage in every way. (Except looks maybe, they look ok)

you can ride them flat.

you know whats really neat about putting them in the clothes dryer? they fit right in there and it takes less than 20 seconds. walk away for 10 minutes and get the rim ready, have a cig, then the tire slips on the rim in less than a minute.

hmm i'm not sure why everyone hates on them so much.

its always funny when they come up because half the people think they are too heavy and too hard, and the other half think they are too soft and wear too fast.

i dunno, i like them, got them on most of my bikes and they are better than most tires i've run.

i have one on the back tire of my DT50, which i guarantee gets run harder than any of the mopeds on here, and it takes a pretty considerable effort for me to get it to slip in the turns. It also wears nice and even with no 'chicken strip'

I was pretty skeptical about Gazelles for a long time. I ended up trying a pair on my mb5 and I love them for commuting tires! They handle fine, they're great in the rain and I can run over anything! Great for getting to and from work/school on time. Great for wednesday night rides when you wanna blast. Would I push them? Meh, probably not, but whatevs. As for longevity, I've had mine since February - and after daily riding they still look new. I also lock up my back wheel and skiiid all the time just for the lulz.

I had those Hutch gp1's on my fast Pinto, they rock so hard for carving corners and are sticky as fuck! BUT they suuuuck in the rain. Get them moist and my 2.75 in the back gets all squirrely. Crossing the Hawthorne when the steel deck is wet is a like a 30 second near-death experience.

Good > nice tread, stiff sidewalls/bead, fairly puncture resistant, run near flat, cheap, great straight line performance on any road condition, very durable at normal moped speeds and always available.

Bad > heavy, pain the ass stiff sidewalls/bead, don't hold up well to high speed over long miles and only ok corner handling.

I used them on daily rider/commuter bike; we used them last year on the pinball and looking back could have went with a better tire (ran the rear bald from new in about 800 miles @ 50+mph).

thats crazy, because i've run over 2000 miles on my DT (which is heavier than a moped by a good margin) on a 17x3" gazelle. Almost all those miles between 45-55 mph. It has little to no evidence of wear.

last time i had them on a moped i probably put close to 3000 miles on them with minimal wear on a 2.25"

every time the threads come up, i ask what is the 'better option' for all-around daily driver tire and there is rarely a consensus. I hear those Deestone world traveler are good, but they don't look like they have a profile to them so they would probably handle like a B8 or kenda 188 or whatever.

i'm all ears to try another tire, i'm gonna get some of those K56 hidenau for my tomos, but for a daily driver i'm just not seeing anything else on the market that looks good. Schwalbe?

I think it was because the miles were stuffed in to days not months/years.

This year we ran way faster for way longer and the tires still look new and took turns at over 60mph like a track bike; we ran a Conti-go in the rear and Vee rubber gecko star in the front.

I want those conti-go's. Handled them at treats and they are super nice. Gp1's are great but in my experience dried out in just a year or so of daily use (Texas heat and sun) I've put hundreds of miles in 2.5" sava mc11's on my new daily and for the price I don't think they can be best for my uses.

I am trying different tires all around. I have a set of 17" gazelles and a set of these other 17" Michelin that I can't remember the model. I'm trying 16" Pirelli, 18" mc7 Sava, and 17"mc11

I think they are all fairly cheap $23-33 and have different characteristics but I have a feeling the Pirelli are going to be the shizz.

Anybody rockin the mc7's?

Bill Habekost Jr. /

Good feedback,Thanks

I always go with heidenau's, a little tight to fit on and a little more expensive but nothing unreasonable. Tires are tires, I don't think there is any one company with some crazy patent that make their tires insane better than any other. But I do have about 2500 miles and 3 winters on one set of heidenau's and they're still looking good so take that for what it's worth.

« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account