Re: kx forks on moby

peter heid /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Never strike a bearing race with any tool !

If you must split the race, use a oxyacetylene torch and rapidly heat the race to soften it. Striking the race can make it shatter and someone may get hurt.

I have bearing race inside me for about the last 25 years. It is 2mm from entering my abdominal cavity and intestines. I knew better but slipped and hit the race instead of the retaining collar.

Even using a thin chisel can chip the race and send you to the hospital. At the very least wrap a rag tightly around the race and tape it in place.

The safest way is with the proper puller or softening the race. If you soften and strike the race it will expand and fall off with just 1 or 2 hits with a dull chisel. You can easily heat the race without overheating any other parts if it is done very quickly with a hot flame. I ran an automotive machine shop for many years and have changed tens of thousands of bearings that are pressed on.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account