puch started only after choke was closed

I have a '77 Puch. This morning it wasn't starting and then I noticed that the choke was pressed. I pulled it back up (to close the coke) and then it started. Any idea why this would happen? From my limited experience/research it seems like if anything it should be the opposite. I may have been riding yesterday with the choke open. Do you think I restricted too much of the air flow? thanks!

Re: puch started only after choke was closed

From a cold start, the engine needs a richer fuel/air ratio, so the choke is pressed down to cut off (choke) the air flow. As soon as you twist your throttle back the choke slide lifts up, opening the air flow into the carb.

If you have the choke closed and you repeatedly cannot get the bike started, you may have flooded the carb. In this case it probably just needed more air to lean out the mixture and get ignition.

Thanks Zach! :)

And TECHNICALLY you got it backwards. The choke is a little plate that drops down over the intake side of the carb. So when the little poker is down the choke is closed over the intake. And when it's up, the choke is open. Knowledge is power! Glad you got it running. Welcome to mopeds.

Someone has never ran a weedeater, chainsaw, leaf blower, 2 stroke engine before...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account