I restored a tomos. It's super fun.
I'm running 1:32 Maxima super m in regular gas with 10% ethanol. The bike is stock besides a tecno bullet and Dellorto sha 14:12 jetted at 53.
It looks like this:
I have a some questions about how to run it properly:
1. I've heard that I should keep the throttle partially open down hills so the engine still gets oil, but can't the crank freewheel?
2. Whenever I quickly reduce the throttle the engine four strokes. Is this normal? Like running it WOT and winding the engine up it's fine then if I immediately cut it to 50% it four strokes. I'm thinking this might be normal (but bad) so I should open/close the throttle smoothly instead.
3. It gets up to 37 mph on flats but struggles for 20 up hills. The area I live in is 80% hills. I'm thinking of getting a high-comp head. The bike gets 120psi with new seals. Would the head help much?
4. Would a foam air filter be better than the stock metal screens?
5. It often dies at idle when I'm stopped, and when it's idling on the stand it idles pretty high. Could this be a sign of an air leak? I thought I eliminated all the air leaks but I'm gonna do a leakdown test tomorrow to confirm.
6. To keep it from dying when stopped I open the throttle a bit to keep it going. Will this damage the first clutch? Could I add more oil to make the clutches engage later and let it idle high?