I restored a Tomos and got it papers. Now how do I ride it properly?

I restored a tomos. It's super fun.

I'm running 1:32 Maxima super m in regular gas with 10% ethanol. The bike is stock besides a tecno bullet and Dellorto sha 14:12 jetted at 53.

It looks like this:

I have a some questions about how to run it properly:

1. I've heard that I should keep the throttle partially open down hills so the engine still gets oil, but can't the crank freewheel?

2. Whenever I quickly reduce the throttle the engine four strokes. Is this normal? Like running it WOT and winding the engine up it's fine then if I immediately cut it to 50% it four strokes. I'm thinking this might be normal (but bad) so I should open/close the throttle smoothly instead.

3. It gets up to 37 mph on flats but struggles for 20 up hills. The area I live in is 80% hills. I'm thinking of getting a high-comp head. The bike gets 120psi with new seals. Would the head help much?

4. Would a foam air filter be better than the stock metal screens?

5. It often dies at idle when I'm stopped, and when it's idling on the stand it idles pretty high. Could this be a sign of an air leak? I thought I eliminated all the air leaks but I'm gonna do a leakdown test tomorrow to confirm.

6. To keep it from dying when stopped I open the throttle a bit to keep it going. Will this damage the first clutch? Could I add more oil to make the clutches engage later and let it idle high?

Plug:

(edited)

Re: I restored a Tomos and got it papers. Now how do I ride it properly?

Eric Davenport /

No.

32:1 is really more oil than you need but really the only risk is that you'll foul plugs and your plug doesn't look oily. The clutch remains engaged as you go downhill so the engine will continue to rotate at a fast rpm even with the throttle closed. Since the oil is in the fuel it will get very little oil with the throttle closed. This is why you give it some throttle and control the speed with the brake when traveling downhill. The SHA carburetor only has an adjustable main jet, when the fuel mixture is correct for full throttle conditions, it's very possible for it to be too rich for idle/mid throttle. It's just something you have to deal with although some people make modifications to the slide which can help. A high compression head may help a little for better torque, you can change the gearing for better hill climbing but your top speed will suffer. If you don't find any air leaks try cleaning the idle passage. It's behind the slide facing the clamp side of the carburetor. It's very small, easily clogged and easy to overlook when cleaning. It sits in a little depression on the bottom of the carburetor bore, fill that depression with carburetor cleaner and see if it drains. If you're holding the throttle open enough to engage the clutch you will have more wear. Once you get the idle sorted out you won't have to worry about it.

Too little a jet I'd say......go up to #55. Open(one little bit at a time) the airbox if you think it's restrictive.

How much do you weigh? Makes a BIG difference in your hill climbing with only 50cc.

Yes,cracking the throttle some on long downhills is good for the engine.

Make sure you have the proper level of tranny fluid and the specified type,which is NOT thick.

32:1 or up to 40:1 with good 2-stroke oil is fine.That's the ratios I run,and I never seize or tear up an engine. don-ohio (:^)

For got to mention,Man.....that bike up there has no mirrors I can see? You need 2 mirrors and you need to watch them very often.Traffic from behind is approaching in YOUR lane at TWICE your speed. So riding safe is what you really need to learn about...no front braking in gravel,etc. don-ohio (:^)

Thanks guys.

Don I should have mentioned I got a new SHA so it has a black plastic thing instead of an airbox.

I have some high flow foam and filter oil on order and I'm planning to just hose clamp it on the end of the carb. I'll upjet to #55 while I'm at it.

I'm planning to get mirrors. The guy who did my pre-registration safety inspection passed the bike because it's all stock, but recommended I install both for my own safety.

I think I'll also get the high-comp head.

upjet to 55-56, remove black plastic cover from carb, remove two screens out of the 7? that they give you (pry them out carefully with a flathead).

find Amsoil saber 2 stroke oil and go to 80:1 ratio of gas to oil.

Enjoy happiness forever

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account