Keep the Hobbit or get something else?

Chablinos SHIP /

I bought a '78 PA50ii Hobbit to use for commuting to work. It ran great for about two hours, then began smoking too much and doing the well-discussed "engine racing then stalls at low idle/braking" phenomenon. It would stall out at each and every stoplight and stop sign. I took it into Second Stroke - for $160 they fixed it up - carb clean and exhaust burn out. Ran great...for about 2 miles. Now it's back to stalling at every stop or low-idle situation. It starts up again SUPER easy, but if I am not feathering the throttle constantly, it will stall out.

So the questions is this: I don't have a garage, nor do I have time or inclination to take my own bike apart on a regular basis. Should I take my Hobbit back to Second Stroke and invest further in getting it running steady, or cut my losses and try to find a more reliable moped? Are there any mopeds that don't need their carb taken apart every two weeks?

I love the Hobbit, love the look of mopeds in general, and don't want a Vespa or other scooter. But I can't be late to work every day. Recommendations?

IMG_7289.JPG

Re: Keep the Hobbit or get something else?

frankly dude, if you don't have the inclination to do your own work or the will to pay someone to do it, mopeds aren't for you.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

yes sir

Take it back to them and have them clean the carb again and install a fuel filter. the filter is key, and will keep the problem from coming back. Hopefully they will do it for free. If not, I know a trick you can do yourself easily to make it idle correctly.

Emil Kniemel /

your carb is dirty. learn to clean it. if you dont want to clean a carb then you DEFINITELY do not want a hobbit.

i switched out my stock hobbit carb for a vm18 + the MLM intake.

Take it back,tell them they didn't fix it.As soon as it got `good and warmed up' it did it again.You took it in for that problem.....they should fix the problem,only charging you for parts.IMO don-ohio

Mike Lyions /

Idle circuit in the carb is plugged. I can't believe you took it somewhere to have your carb cleaned and they didn't clean that out.

Mike Lyions Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Idle circuit in the carb is plugged. I can't

> believe you took it somewhere to have your carb

> cleaned and they didn't clean that out.

I'm certain they did. Probably just a dirty tank, shitty gas, or shit in this dude's gas can.

well if it ran right, they cleaned the carb right. its the lack of fuel filter that allowed it to clog again

Aye, should have flushed the tank too.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Arnie Grape Wrote:

> frankly dude, if you don't have the inclination to

> do your own work or the will to pay someone to do

> it, mopeds aren't for you.

There is a good filter in the petcock, unless this is missing...then a real filter for sure. Your tank is removable, take it off and flush it or replace with a clean one. You can advertise for one in buy/sell section on this site.

"Ran great...for about 2 miles. Now it's back to stalling at every stop or low-idle situation. It starts up again SUPER easy, but if I am not feathering the throttle constantly, it will stall out."

Ran okay until it was hot? Starts easily, but won't idle unless the throttle is slightly open? Sounds like you're just idling too rich. Do stock pa carbs have throttle stop screws? If so, turn yours one half to one full turn in and see if that makes it better. If not, try leaning out your idle jet (I don't even know if stock pa carbs have idle jets...).

Also probably not a bad idea to get a filter so you can keep an eye on the shit coming out of your tank and then can clean it if it gets too bad.

They don't have idle "jets" but they have an air adjustment screw.

Chablinos SHIP /

Thanks for all the comments. When I got the bike in May, I knew the tank was rusty, so I spent a couple of days cleaning it out. There is def no rust in there (and my bathmat will forever stink of gasoline). I had a good fuel filter on there, and the shop replaced it with another one, plus the hoses when they did their work. I agree with the poster who said it is likely running too rich, but fiddling with the air intake and idle screws made no difference.

That said, my post is really about how much attention these need. I live in an apartment, so there is nowhere to take my bike apart even if I was inclined to do it. It's just not feasible for me to repair it myself, and in NYC there is exactly one shop that will tough them (with a three week waitlist). I can't have a bike that needs repair every other week. Are there any mopeds that just run with only once or twice a year maintenance, or should I move on to another form of transportation?

Thanks again!

Moped in apt. : Not practical

fallout Survivor /

Your basic problem is that you have a rusty tank, clogged petcock, clogged carburetor.

The hobbit carb cannot tolerate anything but a pristine clean tank etc.

You need top pull the tank, and derust and line it and then severely clean the rest of the carb and the system. TThen install 1 or 2 filters. Sorry bud. The PA50 system just works that way.

you have two options: find a motorcycle shop and spend 80 dollars per hr to fix it or sell it. Thrd option find a friend or a place to work on it.

You will always be tearing it apart and rebuilding a 78 hobbit, believe me. (edited)

fuel filter! first thing i learned. after learning to clean the carb...

well actually after learning and then repeatedly practicing, like 5 times, cleaning the carb.

2 bucks woulda saved a lifetime

I can't have a bike that needs repair every other week.

says it all, mopeds require upkeep.

i'd never badmouth a shop, i'm sure there's a gap in work requested and expectations.

i daily fill out suggested repairs, maybe 1/10 are consented.

my hobbit carb has been 100% reliable after initial cleaning and inline filter.

tank was crap, treated and done.

moot what the hobbit needs, get something else.

If you don't or can't work on your moped then this is not a good method of transportation for you. If you want a moped that you don't have to work on very often, then sell or trade the Hobbit for a stock Puch.

Hobbits are regarded as a better bike to build up, but well sorted and stock Puchs rarely needs to be serviced and are easier to fix when needed.

Get something else

Dirty30 Dillon /

Hobbits are great stock bikes, Puch's maybe a little better.

Honestly sounds like a 4t scoot would be within your abilities as a mechanic and reliability quota.

all it needs is a dang fuel filter. Sometimes you can remove the little plug screw on the side of the carb and blow cleaner in there with a straw and it will blow out the idle passage... 8 times out of 10 it works every time.

the carb cleaning thing is probably something you could do on the sidewalk if you were ambitious.

puchs or tomos are going to be a lot easier to work on, but any moped is going to have these sort of issues until you "work the bugs out"

for that matter, any 40 year old vehicle will have these problems. If you bought a car from '78 that had been sitting, you'd be doing the same sort of things and getting stranded for a couple months until you fixed all the little crap.

once they are sorted, hobbits are one of the quicker and more reliable stock bikes

...until the crank seals blow out.

^This.....can cause a no idle situation. Mine were bad when I bought my Honda, back in '98, and once replaced it has been the most reliable bike I have ever had, NEVER a no start. Idles like a dream, but the fuel system must be kept extremely clean. I ride mine to work all the time and the only time she has let me down is when MY dumb ass ran out of gas! :) Quick off the line, bone stock. I only wish it rode as well as my 50v, around the lakes the other day the bad road surface shook both mirrors loose and a great deal of my back! 50v by comparison much smoother. I do not have an aftermarket filter on my Honda, but was lucky to get one with a clean tank. Check the petcock filter for crud. Carb was overhauled in '98 with crank seals, and never an issue since.

Arnie Grape Wrote:

> frankly dude, if you don't have the inclination to

> do your own work or the will to pay someone to do

> it, mopeds aren't for you.

^^^this^^^

U guys is all wrong, take it out with the gas tank cap popped or off completely. Bet it stays on always n forever or I'm a fish

Emil Kniemel /

Fox IV Wrote:

> U guys is all wrong, take it out with the gas tank

> cap popped or off completely. Bet it stays on

> always n forever or I'm a fish

gas cap not venting would cause the bike to appear to run out of gas once the floatbowl is empty. he doesnt describe his problem to be this way.

check fuel mixture and put a new plug in and gap it properly.

Chablinos SHIP /

It's definitely not a fuel filter problem, but it could be ANY other problem listed. At the end of the day, I'm just not up to the task of maintaining a 36 year old bike. Anybody want to buy a yellow Hobbit that needs some love?

IMG_7289.JPG

Kiel the Canuck /

My bike had shitty idle, hesitation pulling away, etc. Even with the filter in the petcock the (derusted and "cleaned") tank was still passing dirt into the carb. I ended up having to clean out the petcock, bowl, carb, replace lines, add an inline filter and it STILL took a few cleanings of the idle jet to get it reliable.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account