New guy with a AMF Roadmaster XL in Las Vegas

joshua thompson /

Well as the title says I have 1979 AMF Roadmaster XL and it's seems to be all original. I need to to a lot to get it running, such as new plug, filters, mixing fuel, and trying it out. I wanted to try the engine today but can I get the spark plug anywhere like home depot?

I'm in Las Vegas so it's riding weather all year round. I'll take pics when I can.

How do I find out exactly what engine I have and all those great bells and whistles I should have on it?

Joshua (edited)

Re: New guy with a AMF Roadmaster XL in Las Vegas

Might want to try an auto parts store for the plug, just take the one in it to help match it up. Also should be able to get the fluids and some 2 stroke oil there as well.

www.treatland.tv for the rest. Don't even try a place called 1977 mopeds.

joshua thompson /

well I found out that the fuel tank likes to leak a bit. I filled it up with fuel and when I was riding it trying to start it the fuel leaked down the fuel link onto the engine. So am I missing an O ring or what? It seems like the fuel pump, if there is one, wasn't working to draw fuel into the carb. Any thoughts?

Brent Bublitz /

There is no fuel pump, mopeds are gravity fed. You have a leaky petcock. Just replace it. they are about $10-$15

There are two models Mineralli or McCulloch?

joshua thompson /

It's a McCulloch but how do I find out the year and which model of motor is it? I think the fuel line wasn't even hooked up to the carb correctly. Does anyone have a close up of the carb set up on these? The original fuel line was drapped over the carb and was on the street side but I noticed that it fit just as find under the seat area next to the air filter holder.

joshua thompson /

Here are some pics of her so far, I'm not washing it until I get everything sorted out, that way I'll have a sense of accomplishment.

IMG_20140824_071655.jpg
IMG_20140824_071757.jpg
IMG_20140824_071847.jpg

Patrick Keaton /

The Spark Plug is Champion DJ-8J.

There is VIN sticker with the date where the forks meet the frame.

The engine model is located on the top of cylinder head near the Spark Plug.

For initial starting of the engine your AMF may need to be pedaled 100 yards.

joshua thompson /

Wow I must be getting blind in my semi old age. Yup she's a 79 built in October and the engine # is 400612D. It's kind of hard or tricky so far searching for pictures and looking for parts for my ride. I think it's missing something fuel line wise.

joshua thompson /

Thanks for the link, I need clearer photos if possible for the carb set up

Best moped ever.

your motor should have the keinen carb (sp) it was the one with a black plastic bowl.. it has the fuel pump built into the carb,,

the tank doesnt have a petcock,,, so , if gas is dripping , and its not the fuel line,, you have a crack in the tank... generally the carbs dont leak,, usually its the fuel line,, old and cracked leaking.

as for starting ,, the ignition modules used, a transistor, the grading process during manufacture was a little loose,, so the transistors many times dont kick in,, until as much as 2000 rpm is reached....that'd be about 10 mph, pedalling,,, I use a drill,, pneumatic,, but an electric,, variable speed works as well..... the flywheel nut,, may come undone,, now and again,, more often with electric,, i've found,,, but the flywheel generally doesnt go flying off or anything,,, so you can spin the motor,,, with the plug out,,, with the motor in the lifted position,,, grounding the sparkplgu against the motor. If you dont get spark,,, almost always,, i;ve found the fault to be between the plug wire, and the spark plug connector.. sometimes, if someone has had the wire loose,, and not put it back thru its little carrying sheath,, it'll get rubbed thru by the tire....

BHE,,, by the way,, was Bicycle Helper Motor , the motor was originally designed to be a ad on kit,,, to be marketed by Mccloch as a kit to be put on bicycles... the legal department got paranoia over the idea, and amf roadmaster built the bikes, in olney Illinois,, the motors being sent in from lake havasu arizona nearly 200,000 units

Get that fuel leak fixed first. It's likely to catch your ped on fire. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account