Puch maxi stock snorkel

Yeah I'm talking about that white tube that goes off of the air box. Does it make a big difference on the amount of air intake? Just wondering...

Re: Puch maxi stock snorkel

Overpriced Parts /

Yes if you want everything to be exactly factory running it does matter .

There is large and small snorkle tubes too. Put the correct one on for your bike model .

Most cases your bike won't rev out as good or won't have as good of take off if you use the wrong one or no snorkel.

Service manual even states how to tune in it by trimming the snorkel the perfect size.

Me I hate a stock maxi airbox because its square and no matter how you do it/derestrict it still restricts. A Magnum, free spirit pinto, murry airbox not so bad but still suck because the hole is offset in them. What people don't realize when you have something round and air is sucked through it it creates a vortex Having a square airbox or hole on one side stops this process.

That's why I like the metal mesh filter for a puch.

On a stock 2 hp bike even with stock exhaust I can get 10-15% increase in power using one if jetted correctly .

Stock air boxes were only there to make your bike go slow.

Come on repeat after me:

Stock air boxes were only there to make you go slow.

Got it ?

Haha thanks. Mine broke while I was taking it out (probably my fault) and without it on I noticed a bog at full throttle

Yeah i noticed big driving differences with mine on/off. I stepped up to a 14mm intake, removed headgasket, and with a number 60 jet and the snorkle in, it 4 strokes, with it out it runs better for me and i get a top speed of 28-29 instead of 23-24. either way i'm looking for some aftermarket replacement, like he said its not a good flowing box to begin with.

Where's my water? /

I've gotten like 36mph on flat ground with the stock airbox combined with a chintzy 50cc kit, 12mm bing, 56 jet, 16/45 gearing, and proma GP... took a little while, but I got there. Using a 14 tooth sprocket, I usually hit about 32mph on flats.

I played with the snorkel a bit, too, at one point... removing it completely made me lose like 3-4mph. I didn't play with length because I didn't wanna cut it shorter since I didn't have another kicking around anywhere.

---------------

(Until today, the stock air-box has been the best option I've found for all-around riding with my configuration... best low-end, mid range, and top end. Of course the kit and exhaust help, but I've tried a cone with a screen filter, a high-flow filter from a friend's bike, a make-shift filter that apparently works like a beast on another friend's bike but did squat for me.

In the quest to climb the 1000ft elevation change from downtown up to my house, I picked up a couple things the other day:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spectre-breather-filter-10mm-black-3991/10116503-P

http://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Dishwasher-Connector-Kit-DWC-00/100162549

since I didn't have access to a "proper" mesh/foam filter without waiting a week for an online order. I grabbed an x-acto knife this afternoon and widened the little stem on the filter since it was only 10mm, then I used the dishwasher connector to connect it to the carb.

Upjetted to 60 and instantly had a little more low-end and acceleration. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was obvious. I definitely gained a couple mph on some of the problem hills in the area. I'm going to play with needle position tomorrow because I think it ran too lean after 80% throttle, but it was finally something that worked better than the stock air box.

Moral of the story; try lots of stuff. (edited)

airfilter.jpg

Go up 5 more jets and if to much cut back. You need to get a range of jets to play with and I see you are thinking moped. That was a cheap gain.

Overpriced Parts /

E W Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've gotten like 36mph on flat ground with the

> stock airbox combined with a chintzy 50cc kit,

> 12mm bing, 56 jet, 16/45 gearing, and proma GP...

> took a little while, but I got there. Using a 14

> tooth sprocket, I usually hit about 32mph on

> flats.

>

> I played with the snorkel a bit, too, at one

> point... removing it completely made me lose like

> 3-4mph. I didn't play with length because I

> didn't wanna cut it shorter since I didn't have

> another kicking around anywhere.

> ---------------

>

> (Until today, the stock air-box has been the best

> option I've found for all-around riding with my

> configuration... best low-end, mid range, and top

> end. Of course the kit and exhaust help, but I've

> tried a cone with a screen filter, a high-flow

> filter from a friend's bike, a make-shift filter

> that apparently works like a beast on another

> friend's bike but did squat for me.

>

> In the quest to climb the 1000ft elevation change

> from downtown up to my house, I picked up a couple

> things the other day:

> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/spectre-breathe

> r-filter-10mm-black-3991/10116503-P

> http://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Dishwasher

> -Connector-Kit-DWC-00/100162549

> since I didn't have access to a "proper" mesh/foam

> filter without waiting a week for an online order.

> I grabbed an x-acto knife this afternoon and

> widened the little stem on the filter since it was

> only 10mm, then I used the dishwasher connector to

> connect it to the carb.

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/file.php/1/123026/

> airfilter.jpg

>

> Upjetted to 60 and instantly had a little more

> low-end and acceleration. It wasn't mind-blowing,

> but it was obvious. I definitely gained a couple

> mph on some of the problem hills in the area. I'm

> going to play with needle position tomorrow

> because I think it ran too lean after 80%

> throttle, but it was finally something that worked

> better than the stock air box.

>

> Moral of the story; try lots of stuff.

You got the wrong atomizer (212a) in your carb I bet

You need the #222 atomizer

Dirty30 Dillon /

A lean condition after 80% throttle, can only be adjusted via the main jet.

Where's my water? /

Steve Clark:

I do have a range of jets; 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64, 66. I tried 58 at first and it worked, but I was afraid it might be too lean, so I tried 60 and it worked better except the weird loss at 80% throttle. When I tried the 62 jet, it bogged really badly any more than slight throttle...

I'm assuming I know the difference in sound/feel between lean bogging vs rich 4-stroking; I was very well-acquainted with rich conditions since the bike originally had the 66 jet when I first acquired it...

I don't know why the larger jet oddly didn't seem to offer more fuel with this air filter. I'm gonna try playing with needle-position this evening if it's not wet outside, otherwise it will have to wait. I guess I can try an even larger jet but I'm not holding my breath for positive results.

Ken Roff:

Nah I checked it, it's a 222. #24 slide, two-notch needle, bowl is 4 or 8 iirc, and the body has 1/12/304

Dillon Ryan: well I'm not really comfortable leaving it at 58, and 62 was even worse. You're only like 20 minutes down Route 8 from me if you think you might be able to lend a hand sometime :)

Overpriced Parts /

You should be at a higher jet like near 68 but your not for some reason like that junk filter or Maybe you got a gasket blocking your intake or transfers or your not timed correctly .

Take off that thing you call a filter wolfman and set the jetting

Where's my water? /

hahaha believe me, I've played with all the available jets I've got, any anything above 60 has been trash.

Like I said, when I originally got the bike, it had a 66 jet... it ran so rich that unburnt fuel POURED out the exhaust, and I 4-stroked my way into the teens or low 20s downhill. Carb wasn't dirty or leaking, all seals were golden, exhaust pipe and port on cylinder were clean, the whole nine yards.

I hadn't touched the bike for nearly four years until this summer when a friend of mine also got a Maxi. While I was helping him clean it up, I noticed he had a 58 jet. I tried it in my bike, and it was instantly a totally different beast... I had acceleration, I had better top speed, it gave me hope and motivation to start working on the bike again :P

I've done timing (tried increments between 15 and 19 btdc), I've made sure all my gaskets aren't blocking anything, etc etc. All of this was with the stock airbox, btw; this new filter is uncharted territory for me, but even with the 60 jet, it is noticeably better than 56 + stock airbox.

----------

Earlier this evening, I tried different needle positions with the 60 jet and it worked a little better once I made it a bit richer (had been on leanest setting with 56 jet and stock airbox), but it still felt like WOT gave me less kick than if I let-off ever so slightly.

Who knows, maybe something was blocked/clogged when I tried the 62. I'll mess with it again in a couple days since it's supposed to rain tomorrow... so many people talk about how good their stock or near-stock bikes are, and I would honestly be happy with mine if it weren't for the hills in the area. I feel like I must be asking too much of this current setup, I'm mysteriously doing something wrong, or I really do need to invest in a large kit (or lose weight). [btw, thanks for the info on the kickstart springs, I'm still gonna try them before I buy anything crazy]

also, sorry for kinda hijacking your post, Jake D

Wow guys. Didn't expect this much info. I just skimmed It. I have some reading to do in a little while. Thanks for the info!

Where's my water? /

Whoops, the 62 jet really must have been clogged. Went to 64, and it ran super nice. 66 was a little too big, was definitely 4-stroking ever so slightly the top of my RPMs down a hill, so I stayed with the 64 and the needle at one slot up from the bottom.

I still think I might have reached some kind of wall for speed/power with the 12mm carb ¬_¬

Where's my water? /

Yeah apologies again for going off on a tangent :P

There's definitely info to be found in nearly every thread, but as far as your issue with the snorkel, just methodically try different things and keep note of how it changes the behavior of the bike.

I found a thread recently from like YEARS back and it was people talking about what that little hose might influence... I was really surprised that it might make such a difference, and that's when I tried taking it out completely and then lost a few MPH. This isn't the thread:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,19483,19483

But it's another one talking about the box's quirks.

Have fun? :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account