Speed Rating - Oregon

Julie the Wizard /

So I found out today that there's probably a law in Oregon that says vehicles cannot go on roads above their speed rating. So with a moped (which in Oregon is limited to 30mph), it's illegal to go on any roads above 30mph.

Any other Oregonians know anything about this? Do police care? Any way around it?

Re: Speed Rating - Oregon

fallout Survivor /

go to www.google.com and enter Oregon Moped Laws.

All states have certain vehicle classifications.

Often a moped is restricted to lower than 2.0 hp, and capability of 30 mph on a flat surface.

There is wide variation in these definitions and restrictions.

Do your own fucking homework and research the answer, .... sheesh.

Julie the Wizard /

I don't understand, I already know the restrictions about moped max speeds and classifications in Oregon, did you read the forum thread or just the title?

matt boda1nz /

Just ride.. just ride......

Julie the Wizard /

Let me clarify:

Mopeds cannot exceed 30MPH in Oregon. (I know this. This is stupid easy to find)

I've been told twice now (once by an officer, and again by a friend recently) that:

A vehicle cannot be on a road that exceeds its maximum speed rating.

So logically, that would mean a moped, which has a maximum speed rating of 30MPH could not be on a 35MPH road, a 40MPH road, etc. Only 30MPH or under.

I cannot find this law. I've looked in the handbook, I've googled. I can't find anything. Thus I posted here.

(I just want to be prepared because Springfield officers are huge butts and will pull you over for the slightest reason.) (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

To look it up, you should take a gander at your state gov website, at their Statutes. Most states have them all digitized, with the ability to view past changes and or omissions.

Only by going to the statutes, having that statute number, and preferably having a copy of it on the bike, will you be able to show police officers they are mistaken.

In a similar incident, I was on my way home from work. Going 30 in a 30 mph zone with traffic, state trooper pulled me over to inform me that I can't be travelling with traffic as I'm a "motor-assisted bicycle." Threatened to give me a ticket and such.

Now, instead of that bullshit, I carry a copy of the revised statute, which states the new CT moped laws which omitted such rules.

Randy Johnson II /

I don't know about Oregon, but where I live in Ohio the police don't give me any problems. I use my iPhone with an accelerometer to give me a close mph. Just obey traffic laws.

Justin Miller /

I think this is what you're referring to:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.512

Its specific to highways.

There is also this law, which covers impeding traffic in general so would be more discretionary by the officer:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.130

That said, I've ridden across the I-5 bridge to Vancouver (though I don't advise it as mopeds suddenly seem VERY small).

Overpriced Parts /

It's a speed limit not a minimum speed. Many roads have posted minimum speed requirements.

If you can make the posted minimum speed requirements of the road you should be fine.

Moped law says not to impede traffic but also says mopeds and traffic must share the road, 6367oregan mopedlaw. Guess where I got this from Julie. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

Oregon Motorcycle & Moped Manual. That's fine, but it doesn't seem to relate to the top speed limit road we can ride on, honestly. It just says not to impede traffic. I'm still looking for the law that I'm mentioning, and still not really able to find it.

Friend who told me about it is looking for it, too. It's possible it doesn't exist, but if it does, it would override the manual. Like I said, I want to be 100% sure because if a cop pulls me over and actually knows his shit and I don't want to be standing there like an asshole.

The law is not in there but read page 4 , the middle part. DMV site would have more. read page 6 again. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

Here's the fact sheet one springfield cop handed me

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/dmv/docs/pocketbikeguide.pdf

he told me the "Max Allowed Speed" referred to "Speed Limit of the Street", but I thought he was full of shit and it only referred to the actual limit of how fast the vehicle is supposed to go.

Like, ok, mopeds are only to be capable of 30mph and are to never actually be found exceeding 30mph. That seems pretty self explanatory. it doesn't say anything about being on a road above 30mph AND it doesn't give any law #s to provide sources.

I agree with you guys, I think I can go on roads above 30mph as long as I don't impede traffic, fwiw, I just don't know why two different people have told me I can't now and I'm trying to debunk it.

about to give up and just say fuck it. if I can't find it I doubt anyone else can.

Okay,Julie,let me ask you this? Are the Amish allowed on the same street or road? If so,I don't see how they can bar you.don-ohio (:^) (edited)

Tell the cops going over 35mph is against your religion (using your crazy eyes). Freedom of religion is protected by the constitution then then they will think you are nuts and let you go.

Julie the Wizard /

lol yeah I guess whatever. Thanks for trying guys. I'm just gonna ride and not give a shit I guess, keep a copy of the handbook with me just in case and if I get pulled over ask the cop to provide the exact law or something.

don't have 100s of hours to play "find the bullshit" on the internet. I wanna work on my hobbit instead

Justin Miller /

Julie, I posted a link to the law above. So you can either read that or complain about not being able to find it. Your choice.

Ask the jackass how fast his cop car goes. When he says 120 mph, ask him why he's driving it in a 30 mph zone fucking with mopeders

Scooter you hit it on the head, speed limits do infer that we can go faster but we don't . People ask me all the time how fast will it go, I say (in Virginia 35 is the maximum speed for mopeds as far as I know the highest) I go 35mph or less as posted.Even though I know I can go faster. They sometimes ask again really how fast? I ask them how fast wide open will your can go , most say they don't know the maximum speed here is 65mph. I answer really? All states have very different moped laws, it seems 49cc 2hp is about all they can agree on , why? All other motor vehicles designed as transportation follow the same guide lines without speed limiting built in like mopeds do. Most states treat mopeds like something they stepped in. Scooters have replaced them but in some states they have different laws The closest thing I could find in Oregon law was traffic and mopeds must share the road. Most cops simply don't know the law or care, we must. If I get stopped the dispatcher tells the cop I have a CWP its on my driving license this tells most of them this must be a law abiding citizen to have this or they come up to me scare to death .The point is know your states law get and carry a copy if you can. I am sorry if you think this is to long I had a lot on my mind.

fallout Survivor /

Hey jackass, cite the law.

You are misinformed. There are limited access highways, but you are allowed to drive a moped (and a bicycle) on roads rated above 30 mph.

There are two general restrictions 1) To be classified as a moped states restrict the design speed and horsepower.

2) The laws restrict mopeds to certain types of roads. In my state Mopeds cannot go on Federal highways and certain state roads where the speed limit is over a certain limit.

So if Oregon says you cannot travel on roads with speed limits over 30

cite the law. I say you are mistaken. (edited)

Julie the Wizard /

Sorry, jbear. I actually missed your post. Hadn't refreshed my page when I replied to the thread. My bad.

Yeah, you guys are right.

Sure thing, to be safe; kit, pipe, carb, upjet all that shit so the moped can maintain that 30 mph up the steepest busiest hill in da hood so yo azz don't make headlines.

Whatever u gotta do.

This fuck nut that was here a few years ago tried riding in a 35 zone in rush hour on a Garelli that topped out at 25. This guy behind him in a van frantically tried to get him to move. When he rode on the edge of the white line, the dude gassed the van past him,, hitting his handlebar and launching Tub off the moped.

There's nothing really to figure out. If your moped law says 30 your moped needs to go 40.

I've heard tumbler is pretty good for speed dating

but if you bang more than 4 people a week your rubbers might explode. you need to check the box for a speed dating rating

No shit?, the one Ive been using says just throw it in the laundry and use again and again.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Someone has an ingrown blond hair.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account