Warning in regard of using tire liners

Simon Belmont /

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience, I've used tire liner (to prevent tube from punctures) in my stock tomos and instead of protecting the tube it actually cut a hole trough it and tube was thorn proof (extra thick).

Here's a picture of the liner (it also cut chunks of rubber from the tire):

and here's a picture of what the liner did to the tube:

Has anybody tried using extra thick tube with slime in it, if so, did you have good results?

Re: Warning in regard of using tire liners

How old was your tube? Most tire liners for peds are really thin like bicycle tire liners,but wider.

I've NEVER had that problem,but I actually wrap the liner with several rounds of duct tape to smooth the contours some. don-ohio (:^)

Simon Belmont /

That's a very good Idea Don! I should have wrapped mine with tape as well, the tube was brand new (the damage to the point of puncture and air-leak was done after 5 months time).

The thing is: I couldn't find thorn-proof tube and special liner just for moped so I purchased bmx liner for 20" bicycle and thorn-proof 20" bicycle tube which fits tomos wheel.

Where did you find the liner designed for a moped?

I never had to replace one,but the tape can be used INSTEAD of the liner if it's good quality tape and you use several wraps.

You CAN'T use a bike tube(not designed for the weight and speed and constant use of a moped)......THAT'S a problem on a moped.Get a moped tube and check with heeters or treats or mopedmotion or somewhere to see if you can get a liner. don-ohio (:^)

Simon Belmont /

Thanks for the tip Don! Hey, have you ever used a product called "Slime"? which supposed to seal punctures as they happen?

Andrew Squiggman /

put some talcum powder on everything when you assemble it so if the tube gets twisted ( like yours did) it can unfold without sticking to its neighbors.

Overpriced Parts /

Simon Belmont Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the tip Don! Hey, have you ever used a

> product called "Slime"? which supposed to seal

> punctures as they happen?

I hate all sealants, air is the best

A sealant in a moped tire sitting for long periods of time like over the winner will be gelatinous blob at the bottom then when you ride your bike whop whop whop. People say no but it happened to me after bike was in storage for 5 months with slime in it.

Simon Belmont /

That's a good advise silverside, If I can't find special moped liner, I'll just cut used bike tube, wrap it with gorilla tape to be used as a liner and add talcum powder when installing.

What Ken and Whale said.....truer words were never smoked! don-ohio (:^)

i've rode piles of miles on 20" bmx bike tubes in 16" moped tires. just sayin.

also, i have old oem tubes from bikes that still work better than the new tubes i get.

Whatever works for you,Mit.

I'm gonna buy regular moped tires,especially because my bikes are big bikes capable of 40mph or more and they haul ME and 40 lbs. more plus a large windshield all the time.

Are these BMX tubes cheaper than moped tubes? don-ohio (:^)

Randy Johnson II /

I went tubeless myself. Easier, better.

Anything that can move inside the tire assembly will move and rub the tube. I use snowmobile studs on motorcycle tires and the tube must be protected from the heads of the studs. I tried a piece of tube but it did not last. I found small road bicycle tires and cut the sidewalls off. Next I skinned the tires like an animal to remove the tread section from the carcass. This has lasted a long time. Maybe on a moped you could get a road bicycle tire that might fit inside the ped tire.

Remember the more junk you put in your wheels, the heavier they get. The rear wheel on my DR400 loaded with studs and a liner is over 20 pounds.

Slime sux, take it from someone that sells the stuff.

You need a liner with this front tire...

(edited)

DSCF4069.JPG

fuck that sealer shit.

i never took pics but had a girl buy a bike from me and abandon it a few months later because it got a flat tire, i picked it up to fix for her and man i wished i hadnt. slime ALL in it, yuck. that shit made the most ungodly awful mess inside the rim, on the tire and wheel and the worst was the only part it managed to seal well was the valve stem hole, locking the stem in place so i had to tear the tube and drill out the old stem.

Also it left a good layer of crap in the rim that had to be rather meticulously brushed and washed out before the tire would seat properly, also had to ditch the old tire even though it was otherwise usable

plus it was just fucking nasty

Mhmm, that slime isn't for tubes. It is for tubeless tires, and then it's still VERY last resort.

Like Don said way up ^ there, bicycle tubes won't hold up in moped tires.

I've been studying to become a master flocker. I am thinking that flocking the inside of the wheel's rim before snapping the insert in would be a very good idea. One of these days I wouldn't mind flocking an entire bike.

"Snuggle up to a teddy-bear moped." (that's my little jingle for when I put it on the radio)

I use gazelles, you can run them flat..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account