Introducing myself

Hello MopedArmy community! I've recently gotten interested in the Moped scene and have lurked on the forums for the past couple days and I have now decided to join up and start my journey in learning the in's and out's of the vintage Moped world. In this post I plan on letting everyone know a little bit about myself and my personal history leading up to this decision to join the Moped force, so if you don't like long posts, then I suggest you turn back now haha because I will be going on a tangent.

Anyways, lets start with the basics. My name is Ryan, I am 22 years of young age and I reside in Alton, Illinois(greater St. Louis area). About one year ago I decided to get into the local car scene around here. A buddy of mine had a Nissan 240sx and was into drifting and all that jazz, did all his own work to his car and so did alot of his buddies. I enjoyed watching and learning, but, I am not too mechanically inclined. So, to join the crew and become cool, I bought a 1997 Volkswagen Golf off a buddy of mine who had put adjustable coilovers on it, a racing exhaust and stripped the inside clean. He sold it to me for $1,500, he had told me everything was taken care of and I wouldn't need to do any "major" repairs for at least a year or so. Well, unlike all the Honda kids in my area who think going fast consists of hitting rev limiter everywhere they go in their naturally aspirated cars, I drove mine like a Grandma to preserve the life of it. Long story short, the Golf ended up chucking a rod and turned the oil pan into a slushy of metal shavings and oil. The dude screwed me over, and out of the 4 months I had the car, it spent most of its time sitting because it wouldn't run right. I also came to find out all the drift kids and Honda kids where ignorant and just unpleasant to be around. I have other words for them, but I will spare everyone the vulgar language.

Now, a bit more about myself personally. I live in my Aunt's basement and I work at Steak n Shake doing 3rd shift. I come from a family of functioning alcoholics, and I am heading in that same direction. Last year, on my 21st birthday I was 138lbs(I am 5' 5")and I currently weigh 189lbs due to drinking beer on a daily basis. I need a hobby or something to keep me busy and to keep me from turning to alcohol as a vice, so I got an interest in Cafe Racers. I watched as many videos as I could to learn the mechanics of motorcycle engines, and yet again I couldn't learn it(due to the fact I can't afford one). So I thought to myself, what is a cheap form of transportation that I can do my own work on, with minimal tools, minimal time, and a small amount of income? Mopeds. Blam. Thus, my interest in them has been formed.

Now, time for my plan.

Over the next few months I will be active on the forums. Reading, researching, learning. I want to chronicle my journey through pictures, posts and videos of learning everything I can about mopeds. I also plan on losing weight and gaining my health back and hopefully kicking my habit of habitual drinking so I can focus more on mopeds and bettering myself.

Here is the second part of my plan(and the ending of my essay like post).

I want to ride my moped year round. Yes, you read right. I AM going to ride it year round(once I purchase one). I will mainly be using it to get back and forth to work, but also for leisure riding.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, any constructive criticism is welcomed with no hard feelings. I'm here for the long haul.

Well, if you made it through all this, thank you for taking the time to read it and or reply to it. Hope to be meeting all of you soon enough!

Welcome to trailer trash living

fallout Survivor /

You are just the kind of low life, scum bag, addicted, alcoholic that this forum loves to call company.

Re: Introducing myself

Why are you telling us all this?

Re: Welcome to trailer trash living

Heck yeah, I was in Alton yesterday. There's a group in St. Louis city that are a bunch of drunks. They are good tho and will show you how to properly get wasted, ride, and get away with it. Introduce yourself on MoMopeds.com. I think they might still post up a weekly ride on Wednesday nights and the meet up spot.

The fastest way is 170 south to 64 east to kingshighway south. Prolly 30-40 minutes south of you. Good luck, they prolly have Peds for sale and can help you get started.

matt boda1nz /

Get a car.

Well I am telling you all this because I am introducing myself. Hence the title of this post.

Cars are boring, and if the weather is too bad to ride a moped, then I can always catch a ride to work or wherever else from a buddy or my girlfriend. Car problem solved.

Good luck, dude! No really. Good luck, have fun, don't suck.

Don't know if this is the right hobby to aid in kicking the sauce..... seems to have upped my alcohol content.

Well, not kick it entirely, but at least slow me down a bit and keep me preoccupied.

It's really good dude, I haven't had a beer since Saturday!

Julie the Wizard /

1. have a thick skin here

2. welcome to the forum

3. don't just sit around lurking, go buy a moped and just do it

4. don't buy all the performance parts ever and just bolt them on. go slowly one part at a time. stock is fun too

Well if I had the money to buy one I would, I have to help my aunt pay bills to keep a roof over my head so I normally don't have much money to save. But I'm working on it slowly haha. Unfortunately in Illinois I have to title a moped, register it, plate it, and insure it. So it's gonna be a process for me.

ha, fuck yes. MOPEDS! goddamn. have some fun widdem

Julie the Wizard /

start watching craigslist. you can usually find them for 100-200 especially for a fixer but sometimes running. get like a craigslist watching app or something and when one pops up, jump on it immediately.

I found 3 hobbits on eBay for $125. Look out!

Well I found a 1977 Hercules in Carbondale IL. The dude has rebuilt the carb put a new throttle cable on it and new chain guide. He wants $500 for it and I think it's been sitting on Craigslist for awhile. I texted him and told him I'd be saving money for it. If he sells it before I have the money then oh well I'll just have to find another one. But I've been watching craigslist alot.

That's too much. $250 tops

Re: Welcome to trailer trash living

All that money spent on beer can go to a bike. Also staying within the theme you could recycle beer cans. Sounds like your neighborhood has a lot of them. You could make moonshine and sell it to your relatives. Underneath your alcoholic fog is probably a lot of obsessive compulsion and most of us have that directed to mopeds. You were destined to lose your DL anyway.

I asked the guy nicely if he was firm on $500 and he said yea. I'd try and lowball him, but that would get me nowhere if he will only take $500.

shape up

fallout Survivor /

Get off the substances, and overeating.

Train your body.

Ride a bicycle instead of a moped.

You do not need a moped.

You need to lay off beer, booze, and food ya fat bastard.

Re: shape up

Yeah and ok, did u consider there's a kbb that says to that fuckwad that a 1991 Sachs is only worth $430. Fuck firm. Go look somewhere else. That jackass don't decide where you spend your money. Forget about it

Haha, I'm not fat from overeating. I just have gained some bulk from drinking beer all the time. I'm still in shape, I just need to start jogging a bit more and lose a few pounds off the gut.

Shit I'll send him a screenshot of a KBB if he doesn't change his mind then I'll take my business elsewhere.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4598840548.html

I think the StL area is just full of overpriced stuff -_-

Can someone give this dude a fair estimate on a Sachs with the carb cleaned $10 throttle cable $10 and chain guide $10 and justify $500

Too rich for my blood. You can't get me drunk enuff to pay that

That maxi is more likely! Better better

For $600 though?

There's way more parts available to upgrade that put if you want. If it looks good in person and runs., sure. There's a LOT more ways you could get fucked. It's surely worth 400, mabe 500 so a little haggling.... Or wait a few months and the right bike at the right price st the right time will come.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account