Acquired a Honda CH80, o it running, title problems.

Hi all, I recently acquired a 2001 Honda CH80, after a through going thru, cleaning, and reassembly it runs like a champ p to 40MPH, everything works, tires hold air, etc. I got this thing for almost nothing.

Here is the issue, I have the title, as in, in my hands, but the owner listed has passed away, the wife has power of attorney, and has signed it as such, and the guy I got it from signed on the buyers column.

I did go speak with the DMV here in FL earlier today, and the ONLY way they gave me to get this title is to find the death certificate as it is public record, if I can get that, and the guy who I got it from to go spend an afternoon at the DMV, we could get the title in my name to the tune of $300 plus whatever fees are associated with me finding the death cert. This whole plan just wreaks of requiring the cooperation of to many government employees.(lucky to get one to cooperate)

So, is it possible to get a clean title from someone and the VIN plate?

Or do I just sell it on as is with no title. if so, what should one ask for such a thing?

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Re: Acquired a Honda CH80, o it running, title problems.

Sell it....

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Once the guy you got it from signed as the Buyer on the title, he should have gotten the title put in his name. I would NEVER have bought a bike with a title signed in this manner. Unless you get the guy you bought it from to title it in his name first and then give you the title, you are screwed.

Nice Scooter, nice color but!!

fallout Survivor /

I had a red one exact same.

Suck it up and be patient, and go with the horrible DMV process is my suggestion. You already said you got it for little money. Reason: title issues. Around here it would sell for 800 with a title. Figure title issue costs and you probably got a deal.

They are a little slow but very reliable. I liked it because it was quiet.

FYI . wrong forum it is a scooter, not a moped. (edited)

Part of the $300 I listed was him getting it into his name, and then me putting it into mine(hence us spending an afternoon at the DMV), hes a friend of mine, and got it while out scrapping, we both agreed it was to nice for the scrap heap, so he dropped it off at my house in pieces for $20. The hard part is that death certificate.

Also, does anyone know if you have to have your motorcycle endorsement simply to title a scooter? FL law is anything over 49cc requires an endorsement.

any thoughts on a selling price without title?

fallout Survivor /

there was a thread about titling in FL recently . search archives

Since it goes over 30, and is 80 cc , it probably has to be classified as a motorcycle.

One avenue to pursue would be try to get a bonded title. that would be 100 to 300 cost.

Another avenue is to get a court order giving you title.

sounds like more trouble.

without a title .. put a craigslist ad for 200?

seems like a shame not to be able to title and ride it. (edited)

Title, shmitle. Just ride the thing.

Also, sick scooter.

I have been riding it to and from work for the past week, I took the plate off my honda express sr(nx50?) and put it on the honda ch80... dont tell the local fuzz...

200 was about what I figured without title. there are alot of wooded "camps" and such around here that people buy these things up to run around on their own land regardless of title.

fallout Survivor /

I drove mine for 2 yrs without a valid licence.

Hard to get in trouble on that bike unless you look for trouble or have bad luck.

Besides the 300 dollars to title it, you will have yearly, whatever fl charges, for a plate, and insurance costs (80 - 150/yr).

The yearly costs figured into my selling my scooter, for the little I used it.

Unlike mopeds which do not have those yearly costs in my state.

that's an 01?! looks like 81. still so rad

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account