Vin numbers

So I just bought a used Tomos bullet Moped. I think its any where from a 81 to 86. My problem is I bought it cash out of some old guys barn. I just found out that in Virginia as of the 1st of July I need to register it. I can not locate the vin number. I see where the tags with the vin number use to be but the moped is in rough shape and those are long gone. Does anyone have suggestions of where to look for a stamped vin number. What to look for if the vin number has been purposefully removed our how to get this old moped registered in va without it. It was bought out of barn from an older gentleman for $200 cash with no bill of sale or receipt.

Thanks for the help I know this has come up before but I never owned a moped, scooter, etc so if describing the location of the vin number please be as specific as possible a pic would be awesome.

Thanks again

Re: Vin numbers

Try the right side motor mount.

So this is what I found (see pics attached). I believe that is the right side of the motor mount (I am new to this). The vin numbers I see I believe are the engine vin. So where should the vin for the moped be? Thank you for your help with this

image.jpg
image.jpg

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

If it's an 81 or newer, it needs a 17 digit VIN. That's non negotiable.

However, if it's missing the VIN plate, you can lie and say it's an 80 and maybe get away with registering it.

Otherwise, it's a parts bike. Always look before you buy.

From the pics presented does it have a vin number or did I miss it.

can anyone tell me if i am looking in the right spot for the vin numbers or is it a loss cause?

That is where the number is usually stamped, but not always.

Shaggy Schroeder /

Try on the swingarm......

Modern vins are 17 digits but my 86 Korado has only 16. Did a vin search and it came up with the model/brand and year of my moped. Registered it today with no problems......

My AMF VIN has 6 numbers. I bought it new in 1980 but until this year no title or tags were required in Va. I went to DMV and was given a form to fill out and got it notarized simply put it says I own it. $10 to register ,$20.25 tag fee. I thought it was to easy with no receipt or title. A funny thing about the number,120958 is I was born on 8/20/1958 all the same numbers and the date of when it was made 8/80.

So after looking the bike over I still haven't found the vin numbers. Somebody said it might be on the exhaust pipe. So in the meantime I bought a Tomos 81 silver bullet. Still not giving up on the first bike.

This is where it should be see 019.JPG .my moped has 6 numbers, in Virginia its good enough. the form is from DMV, VSA 12M (10/10/2013) if you could not read the file. Use the numbers on the motor if its not on the front of the frame. you are providing the information . (edited)

019.JPG

Simon Belmont /

I've got Tomos Bullet 1986 (same color as yours) and the vin number is on the left side (if you're about to hop on your moped - where your left foot is) the vin is located in the space between electric regulator box and the seat.

There's this silver sticker on top of which it says "Motorcycle Emission Control Information" then below that it states year and below that vin number, mine starts with: VY2... and then bunch of numbers and letters.

So I can use the six number on the motor for va dmv? That would be awesome

Randy Johnson II /

You can have the bike inspected and use the engine vin number. They can help you with this and the hi way patrol inspector will help you.

So I went to Va DMV. I wrote down the motor vin. I learned that I needed a bill of sale. I said that may prove to be difficult. They would not budge. I said if I sold it to someone gave them a bill of sale and they come in would they be able to register they said yes. So we had a discussion about the importance of or in my opinion the lack there of importance of having a bill of sale. So in the end I have made a bill of sale and let's just say it's filled out. The other issue is that I wrote "salvaged" very bad idea. I should have written "title not issued".. With this new info and documents I go back Monday and will give it another try. I will say as they lady looked over the paper work she didn't look twice at the six digit motor vin. (edited)

Randy Johnson II /

Mopeds do not have Titles. Just registration. A hand written bill of sale and the 6 diget number should be fine.

Get the person you bought it from to write you a simple bill of sale.

Virginia title and registeration

130.JPG

Darrell Gabbard /

there should be a six digit frame number some where and that would be the last 6 digits of the vin #. you could find somebody that has the same year and model as yours but sub out the last 6 digits to match your frame. the fist letters of the vin# indicate the country of origin.

Bill of sale makes it easier but there is a form in leu of title or something that you have notarized. Just say that the moped has never been titled or registered due previously to not being required by va. Don't go to the dmv select go to a real dmv. Have been denied by the select and took same paperwork to dmv with no issues.

Just. Make your own! The internet has templates for dumb dumbs. While your at it make a statment of facts and 4 photos(each side). All problems solved.

So the bill of sale I filled out. In regards to the form for moped etc etc affidavit in lou of etc etc.. I used the motor vin. In the comment section on the form write "title not issued". She never questioned the vin. Now I have title, registration and plates..thanks for all the help

So it turns out dmv doesn't really care about the vin. I used the motor vin number and didn't have any problems..got a title issued bike is registered and plates issued

I told you the worst they could say was no, that's great.

Andrew Squiggman /

. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account