heay fred

.......i bought that pa 50-I today.......its bone stock and in good shape ....it only has 857 miles on it ......and it seems to be tight.......anyway since you seem to be the pa master ...i was hoping you would give me some advice on some things i can do to make it go faster...........i plan on getting some speed stuff from 50cc.nl.....but want it to at least run 25-30........untill i order the parts.......it seems you have yours running 37......and i have'nt heard you say you put speed parts on it.........how does the pa-II reed block work on the pa-I.......and do you know of any tweeks on a pa-II also..........any help would be great....thanx..........................

Hey vapor

Well you know.. almost all that info is already here.. use the search feature above and enter PA50I or PA50II... I have blabbered all about this stuff many many times.

However.. I will tell you this..

Get it running first... how does it run ?.. how fast ?

Doesn't run?.. find out why.. fix it.. (use the 'guide').

Then.. lets say it runs 21 or so... (like a stock one should).

Then.. I would do 3 things.

1.. get an exhaust from 50ccnl

2.. do the variator notches... (be careful though.. do it right)

3.. get a PA50II reed valve and manifold .. (or.. ask 50ccnl if they will sell you the reed and manifold that comes with the expensive carb kit... separate.. (without the carb))

That should put you at 33 or 35 .

Re: Hey vapor

....thanx fred!.............

wait a minute

I just thought of something

The manifold from 50ccnl PROBABLY doesn't have a throttle cable 'stalk' like the stock Honda one does... so that idea may not work.

Re: wait a minute

......i ordered a reed valve , inlet pipe , gasket , and a insulator.....for a PA50II...form a honda dealer yesterday......i asume the inlet pipe is the manifold.......this should be the right stuff.........do you concurr........

david f martin /

You mean you can still get stuff for a PA50 from the Honda dealer?! I've got one sitting in a shed, missing some parts, and I assumed they would be unavailable new, as old as it is... amazing. I love Japanese bikes...

david

Yeah Dave...Casey got all kinds of shit for his pa50 II from a honda dealer. Fred, does Vapor really need the new reed valve mani? The variator mod and the pipe should do the trick. Casey's PA50II goes at least 40 with these two mods. What is the difference in the stock PA50I and the PA50II?

Hi David:

Yes, I've bought parts from my Honda dealer many times. Some things you can find (points, spedometer driver, pedal crank, brakes, tubes); but some things you can't (spedometer cable).

One thing I was surprised about, was how <i>cheap</i> parts are. When I ordered a new set of points from the dealer I figured they'd gouge me. They cost somewhere around CDN$10 (~US$6)!

Chris.

The differences between the 2 ?

I just explained that a few days ago if you can find it.

Cylinder , reed valve, reed manifold, and gearing.

The II goes 28mph stock... the I goes 21.. big diff.

Does he need the II manifold ?

Unless he wants to spend about 2 hours drilling and grinding and filing the one from the I.

The air passage is more than twice as big on the II.

Yep... hey vapor.. read this !

... I concur

How much did those parts cost ?

And one more thing

WARNING !!!... when you get these new parts... (especially the pipe)... DO SOME PLUG CHOPS.

Check the plug as you go to make sure you are not leaning out... it could seize if you do.

And I don't want you blaming me.

Do the plug chops whenever you modify an engine !

(or be sorry)

Casey didn't have to richen his.. but yours is a PA50I...

It might be different.

I drilled my main jet to let more fuel in.

mines OK so far.

hey chris,

do you think i could get the name and number of the honda dealer you used? thanks.

pat

Hi Pat:

I assume you live somewhere near Canada's capital otherwise you'd be better off consulting your local yellowpages for a Honda motorcycle dealer closer to you. I had to call several Honda dealers before I found one that could get the parts I needed.

Regardless, I purchase Honda parts from:

Wheelsport

Phone: 613.841.9400

1390 Youville Dr,

Orleans, ON

K1C 2X8

Canada

Chris.

thanks chris.

i'm actually in toronto, and so far i haven't really found the need to get new parts, but it doesn't hurt to find out where i can get them, just in case.

Re: Yep... hey vapor.. read this !

...the stuff i got from the honda, cost 72.50......and i have 2 proma circiut pipes coming from 50cc.nl.....i think i do anyway..........so what is a plug chop...i have heard it before......and drilling the jet.......what did you do.......what size bit ...ect..........

plug chops and jetting

Sorry... I can't remember the diameter I drilled it out to.

I would have to take it apart to check.

Go here and read about 'plug chops' and jetting and other stuff.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/10/

Re: plug chops and jetting

david f martin /

I had to replace a piston and rings on my Honda a couple of months ago. Called two different Honda dealers, got the exact same price. Either one had to order it (usually takes less than a week). Some stuff is available thru aftermarket sources (usually cheaper, too). I don't know about carb jets. Might as well get it locally, jets are pretty cheap, anyway.

david

Re: heay fred

.....well i pulled the engine out of the pa1 today.......and its ready for the reed valve and intake..........what kind of grinding or cutting do i have to do when i get the new shit......tomorrow maybe..........also....i have spyed that liquid cooled 70cc kit at 50cc.nl........im thinking i'll get one for the pa1 and the pa2......im moving back to az......and it gets over 100...most of the summer...........how do mopeds do in that kind of heat.........is the liquid cooled kit a good idea....i plan on doing alot of riding in yuma and down in mexico.......any thoughts???.........oh yeah.......i have 2 proma circuit's on the way......and what kind of mods do i have to do to get it to bolt up.....the exhaust port on the pa1 is smaller than on the pa2........i asume im gonna haveta grind it out a bit......does anyone have any tips on that as well?????..............................

hey vapor

For the II reed valve to fit on the I.. you either have to grind the little locater "tit" off the valve... or drill the locater pocket out bigger (on the cases)... thats it.

If you want to make the exhaust port a bit bigger like the II... raise the roof of the port 2mm.. (then be sure to re-chamfer the edge).

I am taking no responsibiluity for screw-ups on your part.

Re: hey vapor

....but of course....not to worry about that......heay...i've tryed all kinds of things to find some pics on this vairator mod......chris r i guess .......do you know where there at.....i figure i'll do it to my II .....then might as well do it to the I ...while the mill is sitting on the bench......thanx...................

Chris Robertson /

Hi Vapor:

The photos are in the zip file attached to <a href="https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=7890&t=7890">this post</a>.

It's been generally agreed that modifying the roller weights is <b>not</b> a good idea; so ignore that advice.

Chris.

......gotcha.......i did it on my PA II and PA I last night........i think it will work out pretty well........i've gotta go and play with the belt a bit i think............thanx

.....well it looks like the PA I has a #50 jet......and since im putting on the bigger reed and intake.......and a proma circuit........can you or anybody else suggest a jet size..........and do you have to do anything to that brass tube above the main jet.........also do i need to "up" jet my PAII for the proma??.............thanx.....................

What size main jet is in the PA50II ?

If the II has a bigger main... then it might be smart to put one of those in right off the bat.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account