1980 Peugeot 102 SP Engine behavior

Mitchell Faltin /

Ive got a question for all you moped enthusiasts.

I have been looking at a 1980 Peugeot 102 SP on Craigslist for a while, and when I spoke with the man selling it he told me that the engine stops running every time you stop moving/idle. He told me that he took it into a motorcycle shop and asked about it and they told him that it was made that way.

Is that true?

It seems odd that the engine cuts out every time you stop and you have to pedal up to 3mph again to start it. I figured that once it started, it kept running. I don't want to get ripped off by this guy and have to spend another $300 to replace the engine.

I did a little digging and, if the engine is indeed supposed to stay running while stationary, it might just need a new carburetor.

If anybody knows weather or not the engine stopping is part of the design, I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks!!

Re: 1980 Peugeot 102 SP Engine behavior

Brent Bublitz /

I had a 102. I can say 100% that no. It's not made that way.

He has an air leak, bad timing, jetting, stuck or janked up starter clutches, bad clutch, need a carb rebuild... all kinds of things could cause it. He may not have even adjusted the idle screw.

Something else to consider, the 102 is a non-variated Peugeot. They are considered the low-end of the Peugeot spectrum and are not in demand in any way. Lack of performance parts and no variation means they general are topped out at 25-30mph unless you want to do a lot of work.

$300 is an OK price on a nice running stock 102 with all the parts being there. I would not go above $100 on one with idle or other issues. (edited)

It sounds like a stuck clutch to me. If you're planning on purchasing this bike take the cost of replacing the clutch into account when making your offer. Keep in mind that 102 parts can be tough to find.

Mitchell Faltin /

Thanks for your insights!!

102's and 103's have the same clutch, if the 103 is a non-variated one. My assumption is; your carburetor is sad... those carbs are as touchy as ever on these bikes. Second guess is that your clutch is kicking in too soon.. weak springs in it. Possible to pull out a couple balls from it, but make sure you do it in a balanced way... but I'd just get a new clutch if possible.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account