EBR fork question

I picked up a '78 Magnum last week that has an EBR fork on it that has a bit of play in it. I haven't taken it apart to look yet but I'm assuming the shim is missing but I'm also wondering if the extra threads above the top headset race have anything to do with it.

Is this normal?

Re: EBR fork question

Dirty30 Dillon /

Nope. Don't ride it like that

Brent Bublitz /

Nope. There should be a shim or spacer in there. The top nut should be able to tighten down.

there are two bolts on the triple tree that clamp the lower plate into the fork legs. Loosen those and you will be able to slide the top plate down towards the main bearing race nut. Then you can tighten the crown nut properly, or trim excess threads (if any) so you can tighten down fully.

Seconded on not riding it until its fixed correctly.

timothy rendall /

hello i think there should be a spacer under the top yoke.

When i fitted my "EBR's" i had to make a new one as the top yoke didn't have the right spacing to fit !

Gotcha. I know that would never fly on a bicycle headset (where the excess threads would be cut off to fit) so I figured as much.

Thanks!

The top plate is down as far as it will go so I'm assuming a spacer beneath that will do, right?

I've got plenty of bike headset spacers that will fit.

(Casserollers) Nick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there are two bolts on the triple tree that clamp

> the lower plate into the fork legs. Loosen those

> and you will be able to slide the top plate down

> towards the main bearing race nut. Then you can

> tighten the crown nut properly, or trim excess

> threads (if any) so you can tighten down fully.

>

> Seconded on not riding it until its fixed

> correctly.

you need to adjust the lower triple tree plate not the top one, look at the lower one you will see two 13mm bolts on the sides that clamp the plate to each fork tube, loosen these bolts up and you can then adjust the triple tree height.

Oh ok. I misread. I just adjusted them and installed a 10mm spacer up top, like so:

The front end obviously feels a lot better now. Thanks guys!

You should just be able to slide the tubes down and forget the spacer. It's only going to be lowering the front end of the bike.

I'll probably do that eventually but didn't really have time today to get into cutting the fork.

You don't need to cut the fork all you need to do is loosen 2 bolts and adjust the fork tubes. It's really simple.

At first glance it seemed like the threaded steerer would be a bit too long for the top nut to tighten properly and I'd need to take off about 5mm but I measured and it worked out just fine.

Intern Dave Wrote:

> You don't need to cut the fork all you need to do

> is loosen 2 bolts and adjust the fork tubes. It's

> really simple.

i'm ok with the spacer, thats totally legit. but yes true you dont need it.

i'd stick with the spacer tho, easy, works. game on. go ride

@Dave Scrod

Ah I see. Looks good to me just keep an eye on it for wobbles n shit!

timothy rendall /

Hello that looks good to me as long as you have enough threads in the top nut.

On the original fork set up there would have been a thin spacer to keep the top yoke from touching the large bearing nut. Even my Triumph Daytona has the same arrangement and that goes 165pmh!

The real WillD Wrote:

> i'm ok with the spacer, thats totally legit. but

> yes true you dont need it.

>

> i'd stick with the spacer tho, easy, works. game

> on. go ride

i just want to quote everything will says

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account