electric honda express

you guys seen this?

This gentleman put an RC airplane motor into an express motor..and it works. dudes pretty smart and worked it out made some parts for it....look I'm not sure if it's something for everyone (or anyone at all)...even if it was easier to do, practical...whatever...It is interesting... and moped related...noped...idk...we don't hang out with the electric motor dudes right? all the delivery guys in my neighborhood drive these new electric mopeds and i'm always trying to be chatting them up and they're like,' nah bro, no english'.

anyway here

link to guy's notes, build thread and vids of test runs

Re: electric honda express

I would fear for the longevity of the crank being twisted from one end, unless he made it somehow solid through the middle. After reading I see that he machined a new one entirely. Still though, very cool. Kinda surprised an airplane (i assume 1/4 scale) motor could pull that load. (edited)

fallout Survivor /

And the electric motor shall inherit the moped earth.

Rob GasketFace /

I was expecting that it would be sluggish, but damn it's definitely got more low end torque than a stock NC50

EDIT: How the fuck do you embed videos? (edited)

Well electric motors have all of their torque at 0 rpm so it will get off the line better than any 2 stroke moped that isn't slipping the clutch to the moon.

some of them outrunners are amazing that tiny motor is prolly 2hp 3 phase ac

they have 10hp ones that are the size of a soda can you can get liquid cooled ones for rc boats

pretty cool stuff they have

I am in the process of rewinding a model motor to make an alternator. I can make a 12v 50w alternator you can hide in your closed hand. I am only concerned about heat. It is being wound for much lower RPM operation than as a motor and no propeller to cool with. I will put a fan on it to see if I can keep it cool. Also it is an open frame and debris must be kept out, especially steel that can stick to the magnets and jamb the works.

Poor crank bearings?

How so? There is far less load than an equivalent petrol engine, and the only load on the bearing will be the pull from the chain drive. The twisting force of the engine is not translated into the bearings.

I didn't look at the video but look at the tape over the cylinder how's the bearings getting oiled?

ceramics?

Is he even using the crank?

Sealed bearing shouldn't need it, especially without hundreds of degrees of heat on them.

He made a crank from bar stock.

Must be a cheaper setup but more labor intensive than an electric hub motor setup.

He likely wanted to keep the 2 speed.

Cool unless it rains....

$99 motor

Princess Rapunzel /

This is so awesome. Electric peds are the future, guys.

Emil Kniemel /

does he mention how far it can go on a charge?

Daniel Allen /

i asked him some questions...the first time he responded from youtube and gave me the page i linked before. I asked him about heat issues and wether they came in before the battery ran out. I really wanted to know how it ran long term. meaning, a long ride as well as over time. but I didn't hear back yet. ..his battery wasn't huge. the electric mopeds here in brooklyn have batteries that are the size and weight that most of our motors are. it works out for delivery guys because they can drive right into the restaurant and plug them in. I looked at buying one (the simple model is only 400) and i tried picking up the battery....at the time i lived on the second floor and that was the deal breaker. i couldn't imagine carrying one of those batteries up stairs. you wouldn't believe how heavy they are.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account