Top Tank Phase

Francis Cronley /

At one point, everybody wanted or wants a top tank. When I first was in the market for a moped, I didn't want a top tank. Maybe because it didn't have the step through originality of most mopeds, or it just looked too much like a motorcycle. Apparently I'm not the only one that thought this. The top tank look definitely grew on me as it came into style. Did any if you not like top tanks at first? I still love my step through more than my top tank.

Re: Top Tank Phase

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

Top tanks are for grom street cred

† CHβˆ†D † /

I like both. My first was a moby & ohhh those lines. Now I don't even have a step through. Who doesn't like little motorcycles? Yes, step throughs are the classics & top tankers don't really ring moped.

All my step throu peds have top tubes and you can't step throu them.

I like the looks of top tank designs. And you can't beat the convenience of being able to look in and know how much gas you have!

The Reverend Defecator /

Maize BLK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All my step throu peds have top tubes and you

> can't step throu them.

The leg swing over seat is king.

I like the style of a step-thru Puch and Motobecane 40T hardtail step-thru's to me they totally look/function better than top-tanks...

I like squeezing the tank with my legs on a toptank during corners. But they lightness of a step thru is better.

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

I like and have both. Before I owned a moped I was hired to weld a bar to hold a ss pacer tank on a hobbit. February 2009. It's been all down hill from there ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Maize BLK Wrote:

> I like squeezing the tank with my legs on a

> toptank during corners. But they lightness of a

> step thru is better.

So true on both counts.

Overpriced Parts /

Magnum is the pinnacle of top tank moped design.

Rode my almost stock magnum xk I'm selling for 70 mi yesterday it was like nothin.

Not tiring at all, large comfy seat, torquey stock engine( mesh filter, one added hole through exhaust, head sanded flat) and 70s enduro bike look and feel.

Large for a moped/bigger then many other top tank bikes, better visibility, very stable platform for a kitted engine, I've had a magnum in the low to mid 60s mph and it had very stable/predictable handling.

Even stock spring forks are way better then most step throughs and hydro magnum MKll forks are perfect.

I have step throughs but they don't get ridden as far.

i think a g3 looks alot better than a magnum. just sayn

most everyone wants toptanks at 1st, or early. true

they looks pretty rad. def newb cred

i dont like the seat setup on magnums at all, but i do like that they're a lil bigger and a solid stepthru is easy to lock to stuff.

usually everything else is nicer on the toptanks too cuz originally top of the line models

simon thokaar /

Every top tank ive ridden ive felt very top heavy and in the posture felt wrong. I feel more agile and centered on a step thru, i also get asked "why are you on a girls bike?" from strangers when im riding with a buddy on his magnum..

Step-thrus are fer Girly Gurls! LOL!

Puch is nice and big,Ken,but no better than a Motobecane Sebring with the 2-speed Franco-Morini in my opinion.The heavy build of the Sebring frame gives stability,while its 2.6 gallon tank gives range.The pull-out rear carrier can hold a backpack full of gear.

So for a bike with pedals,a true-MO-PED,I'll take either one.My 60cc and 70cc kitted ones are the `bee's knees'! don-ohio (:^) (edited)

I have never been a fan of top tank peds.Well .... magnum types..... And I have never owned/sought one out. Step through is what a true moped should look like . When I wanted a top tank bike that looked like a motorcycle I went out and bought a motorcycle. I love seeing people on magnums in full tuck as I pass them by on a step through sitting straight up with stock high rise bars. All in all you should ride in what style you love.

If I could have a bottom tank that held 2-3ga, I'd be all over it.

I hate small capacity gas tanks. I dont wanna fill up so often.

Princess Rapunzel /

My Garelli SSXL never ran before it traded it, but it was the most comfortable moped I've ever sat on. No competition with a step through, it was absolutely awesome.

top tanks are for newbs who think they look cooler on them (you don't, you still look like a fag on a moped)

step through for mopeds and if I want to ride something that looks like a motorcycle, I'll ride my motorcycle.

Alot of top tanks are just very attractive bikes, some looking better then most motorcycles. Plus they have the best equipment from the factory.

I never understood why moped people feel the need to talk down on toptanks just cause they are popular, hell step thrus are far more popular then top tanks as far as ownership & original sales go.

Cafe Racer

Catch me on that middle tank game.

image.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

vintage rust Wrote:

> Alot of top tanks are just very attractive bikes,

> some looking better then most motorcycles. Plus

> they have the best equipment from the factory.

> I never understood why moped people feel the need

> to talk down on toptanks just cause they are

> popular, hell step thrus are far more popular then

> top tanks as far as ownership & original sales go.

I've found that most people who talk them down are jealous because they don't own one. I even just got a email inquiring about the magnum I'm selling who said in the past that magnums suck.

Ferraris suck, Lamborghini's suck, 1971 hemi cuda convertible's suck

Overpriced Parts /

Christopher C Wrote:

> Catch me on that middle tank game.

Still looks like a top tank

Very sweet bike by the way

Middle tank is the worst! Playin like you better than step thru, you jus tryin to be a top tank n got lazy.

When I first got interested in moped I wanted to build a bad ass top tank using tons of vintage truimph, bsa, and motorcycle bobber parts. That has faded as I think it's silly to be riding what looks like a small cafe racer that goes 50mph.

I love top tanks, but am on a huge custom step through phase! (edited)

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

top tank, middle tank, back tank, step thru, step on....

booty booty booty booty rockin everywhere! (edited)

ddpwr.JPG
seat tank.JPG

Francis Cronley /

Haha. Why is everyone complaining about tank size on step throughs? The mileage is still amazing, so whatever.

.8 gallons isn't much on a kitted bike. That what most step through hold. Some bikes hold over a gallon and boy is it nice. I fill up my fox every other week and rarely top off the kreidler. I haven't filled up my magnum in a year because it never gets ridden.

simon thokaar /

my daily rider step thru gets about 40 miles to the tank (.8gal). I pretty much have to top it off every time i ride and multiple times on long blasts. My buddy with his magnum is pretty much same way, only he holds twice as much gas.

I didnt want a top tank so i bought an mb5. way better.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account