tomos sucks

yeah so I just came to the realization that tomos sucks. Was this a secret? or does everybody secretly know?

bike is super uncomfortable

seat is too soft, and its really small, actually the whole bike feels really small and awkward. The pedals are really narrow so the pipe is always in the way of the pedals and center stand, on the newer bikes the seat is really wide for no reason, and the pedal shaft is super long, wtf

wiring on the newer bikes is mess

goes like 45 with a pipe, woooooooooooooooooow

clutches explode if you kit it, if you don't they still don't last, shifting sucks and if you change the springs = explode

bike vibrates, balance the shoes, swap in an a35 bell, doesn't matter, it vibrates

no street cred

what am I supposed to do with this thing?

Re: tomos sucks

Go 45 with a pipe.. which is more than you're gonna get out of anything else similarly equipped.

Overpriced Parts /

Loved my old one. a35 went 42mph with just a cheep pipe

Love my new one more. A55, 35mph with stock pipe.

I got a new pipe I don't even want to put it on (edited)

image.jpg
image.jpg

***Kim Jong illest*** /

Tomos are fantastic. You are just bad at mopeds.

> bike is super uncomfortable

> seat is too soft, and its really small, actually

> the whole bike feels really small and awkward.

> The pedals are really narrow so the pipe is always

> in the way of the pedals and center stand, on the

> newer bikes the seat is really wide for no reason,

> and the pedal shaft is super long, wtf

I don't know about other tomoseses, but once you swap or balance the clutch, the Streetmate is super comfy. I'll ride that thing all day, literally to get to the city I gotta leave like seven and don't get home till nine. I imagine an LX is similar. Motorcycles aren't as comfy.

> wiring on the newer bikes is mess

true. granted it does an awful lot of stuff with horns and signals and starter and inicators, but they could have done better.

> goes like 45 with a pipe, woooooooooooooooooow

This is a problem?

> clutches explode if you kit it, if you don't they

> still don't last, shifting sucks and if you change

> the springs = explode

77 has some shoes with friction material on, they've been holding up super for me.

> bike vibrates, balance the shoes, swap in an a35

> bell, doesn't matter, it vibrates

Mine stopped vibrating when I swapped the bell. Tighten up all three motor mounts, adjust your chain tension. If it's still vibrating, maybe some bearings are worn, or your countershaft gears unbalanced?

> no street cred

people love mine, but I'm in the land of low speed limits and no mopeds. i imagine in, say, Jersey you wouldn't want to be caught dead on a Tomos.

> what am I supposed to do with this thing?

Love it! well, fix it, and if it's a revival strip it and get creative, then love it

The Reverend Defecator /

vanilla thunderbrokane Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tomos are fantastic. You are just bad at mopeds.

x2

♣Slew Foot♣ /

how many mopeds did you test ride?

most mopeds suck, surprize?

they redesigned the grenade a few times, a3 clutches in with a55 gears seems to be the best of both worlds tranny wise(forgive the aweful pun).

once you get that handgrenade pin(?sping) out of there it seems balanced enough.

seats, pedals, wiring are all just cosmetic. NJ is the land of the Tommi.

curse a za-50. it's austrian cousin, they are a licensed copy of them.

actually i like the short useless pedals they remind you to fix the thing instead of walking it places.

i got an updated A3 bullet, it is reliable and i have 20+,000 miles on it.

you may just be bad at mopeds...

Overpriced Parts /

Streetmate and revival have the best brakes, shocks, forks, wide rims/tires huge seat of any stock moped.

My 04 revival had 8,000+ mi on the stock clutches and didn't have vibration problems .

My new bike has no clutch or vibration problems but it only has 175 mi on it

I don't have a tomos but I've ridden and worked on a few. They like to eat clutches but so do a lot of kitted bikes. I have a few oddball bikes that make a solid case for ideal daily rider. If I didn't have them, I would probably have a tomos. For most people, it IS the ideal daily rider. Cheap as hell, easy to make do 40+ with only a pipe and regear. Cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap to replace, and easy. You can go buy one for $150 and with an afternoon and less than $100 have it doing over 40. I don't get excited by tomos but they are a good bike to have around. Back up, loaner, or even shitty daily rider- its hard to beat a tomos.

Seats can be changed. Re-line your clutches every year or two if you're concerned about them wearing down to the metal.

As for the shifting sucking....I think they shift great if you're set up right and use some heavier transmission oil and overfill it just a little bit.

Overpriced Parts /

Ken Roff Wrote:

> Streetmate and revival have the best brakes,

> shocks, forks, wide rims/tires huge seat of any

> stock moped.

> My 04 revival had 8,000+ mi on the stock clutches

> and didn't have vibration problems .

> My new bike has no clutch or vibration problems

> but it only has 175 mi on it

Oh ya best headlight and tail light too

i've recently come to the conclusion that tomos are kickass.

after building a few and just never really feeling the love, i've come full circle and decided they are pretty much the best for 90% of what you use a moped for.

re-line the clutches and rebuild with new shaft seals, slap on an alukit and run a 16 sha... 55-60 mph all day, easy, reliable, and quick. Shit, a bone stock tomos came in 2nd in the pinball run last year.

good brakes, good suspension, good electricals, dozens of good kits, you can even get a STOCK kickstarter or electric if the pedal thing isn't your jam

if you cant do a tomos, you should probably just quit mopeds, they are the easiest, ever.

Patrick Keaton /

The days of buying a TOMOS MOPED around here for $150 are gone.

Now there $450 minimum and $70 round trip worth of gas to get,making it $520.

The TOMOS ANNIVERSARY MOPED in Georgia has been sold.

Brent Bublitz /

Tomos mopeds are OK. Tomos people on the other hand.....

i bought 3 of them last year all for less than 200 bucks in north carolina... all pretty rough but runners after 2-3 hours of work.

Tomos suck because they're common and you can't really sell them for much money. They make working on other mopeds less fun once you get used to cheap readily available parts. They basically never break down so you're stuck only doing routine maintenance which gets boring. I've never had a problem with wearing out clutches. I do change the transmission fluid fairly often though. The stock US market seats do suck, I swapped mine for a solo seat which is much more comfortable than a bench seat. One of the biggest issues I've come across on tomos bikes is worn out swing-arm bushings, mostly because nobody ever greases them.

I don't know, I guess they just aren't for me. All the dumb "glue shit on your clutch shoes" doesn't jive with me either. One day I will just have to send some to get lined and probably replace every transmission gear with one that wasn't made by a blind Indian kid, weld a mount for a seat....

I have blasted miles and miles on my french bikes without issues, Tomos is just kind of ehhhh

Patrick Keaton /

I have a TOMOS that might have worn out swing-arm bushings,or the shocks.

What can be used as alternative to the original swing-arm bushings.

Hey it's got a 2 speed transmission. My Kinetic has a single speed.

Sweet Tomos! Whenever cash provides, I'm getting me a Tomos. (edited)

Princess Rapunzel /

What's more reliable, a mostly stock Tomos or a mostly stock E50?

Both.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

If you could build this, how could you not figure out how to work on a Tomos?

....................or did you build it?

You can get new bushings and the distance tube, and they'll probably last a long time if you grease them from time to time.

Patrick Keaton Wrote:

> I have a TOMOS that might have worn out swing-arm

> bushings,or the shocks.

> What can be used as alternative to the original

> swing-arm bushings.

32,000 miles on my first Tomos, and it's still running. 2200 miles on my new Tomos, and it is so nice! Great bikes! But I agree that the seats on the LX are not as comfortable as the wider seats on the other models. If you have vibration, it's likely from an unbalanced clutch, much less likely from a bad flywheel. It can be fixed.

i've had the same old a35 forever. it works great. it's on a maxi now, but whatever. re-lining clutches is super easy. i'm still on my first re-lining and iv'e done 3 rallys, and ridden it to work mostly every day for a year or so. pushed dudes home, slipped second into oblivion with my weird sweet spot throttle tickle. the little airsal goes 50 on a 15 sha. i been hit by a car on it. it was stolen for over a year and it "came back." it's the easiest motor other than the e50 to make fast on the cheap. kit's and shit for days. you can go crazy stupid big on tomos builds, gilas, polinis, maybe make case reeds and go nuts with derbi water kits, or just get a 15 sha, airsal 44mm, and a homoet and do 50 like me.

can anyone tell me how long thet have been stamping out tomos sprint/bullet/st type frames? i've seen one as old as 74, but i'm sure they go back farther, and they're still stamping them out now as far as i know.

tomos rules. if you said that shit at the bar after i got of work or something, i would have slapped you, or spit beer in your face. tomos mopeds are fucking awesome, even the weird new ones, and don't you forget it!

^ what MIT said.

I'm hearing the worst/dumbest arguments from all the people on the "Tomos' suck" side.

Haters gonna ride their Seabrings and tell us why Morini's are so great.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

"Tomos suck and my French stuff always runs" fucking liar. Tomos has the best everything on a stock bike; big brakes, 2 speed for quick takeoff, stock roller bearing crank, stock reeds, comes with a 14/12 dell that everyone knows is the best carb, comfy seat and bars. You can't lose on a tomos

♣Slew Foot♣ /

unless you have a dual variated something tommi kinda rule the daily runner scene.

i have had french bikes, puchs, sachs, moby's, mo1 &2's.

its like the VW bug, ugly as sin but has a parts supply and are realitvly well designed for what they do. doesn't mean i won't drive a porche or somethin sleazy and italian.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account