Moped across state lines registration question

Here in Tennessee we don't need any sort of papers or tags for mopeds, just helmet, lights, and go. If I was to ride through a state where tags are needed, would it be a good idea to get it registered before hand, or does the fact that I have a TN drivers license make other state laws void during traveling , I've got plans to ride cross country ( from tn to Oregon, big dreams I know) and I don't wanna end up getting fucked by the law along the way if everything works out

Re: Moped across state lines registration question

John Joedicke /

Print and carry a copy of your states regulations re mopeds. You should be good to go. That being said, always good to carry insurance for the unexpected. If you really are up tight then register it as a motorcyle/scooter in your state. Probably wouldn't pass any safety requirements though. lol

If I had to, I would just register it as a moped, I'm not going to do this on a kitted bike, just a nice carb'd/pipe'd stocker. No need for speed when I just want to see the sights and enjoy myself. I guess insurance would be a pretty good idea

fallout Survivor /

you only need to register if you lived in another state 30 days, as like cars.

Overpriced Parts /

Ya without a plate you could be a cop magnet but if you have insurance you won't get a ticket for in the states that require insurance. You could have copies of every law there is from your state if you're in a state requires insurance you still get a ticket for not having insurance so ya good idea

yeah texas requires an M license and they don't care if you're from another state...

technically un-constitutional, but by the time you've proven that you've already lost.

the insurance thing is unconstitutional as well, but once again, good luck fighting it.

if you can tags and stuff its probably going to make your trip easier. NC had a thing where you could take the bike to a cop shop and get them to issue you some sort of certificate of ownership... at the very least get something like that.

Brandon Compton /

graham, can you explain how it is un-constituional? first time i heard any make that kind of statement regarding dps laws and such. not trolling, just well...knowledge is power.

It's unconstitutional because you are being forced to purchase something. It also interferes with your inherent right to travel by requiring you to pay a bribe to regain that right.

Thanks everybody, I'll just get the thing registered, seems to a lot of grey areas and stuff, I'll just get it done and cruise with no worries

Heads up, it will be a while until this happens, I'm saving up money, need to be able to eat and all that stuff that keeps people alive, I hope to meet some rad people along the way, but I'm mainly doing this because if I don't, and I continue to work my life away I'm gonna lose it. A mans gotta have fun.

But once everything is underway I will make posts of where I am so I can hang out with k3wl moped and skateboard people from other states

Brandon Compton /

well that wouldn't make it un-constitutional, as the constitution grants states rights to make their own laws as well. so, unless the constitution says states or the federal govt can't do it, then i still don't know how it is.

Senor Juanito /

Ehh... I slapped NY class c plates off a Motobecane onto a busted ass honda cub and took it for a 50mile rallly down in sumter south carolina,....didn't get bothered, even without a helmet. Don't worry too much

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account