Laguna Seca de Bicycle--Twilight Ride Wednesday June 18th

Each month Laguna Seca opens the track to bicycles for a Twilight Ride . This month the Monterey Bay Racing Team is hosting the ride on Wednesday the 18th. After the riding they are providing a BBQ. Even though it's not on a moped getting to ride around a world famous race track for ten bucks is damn awesome.

Monthly twilight rides allow cyclists to experience the excitement of pedaling Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca’s 11-turn, 2.238-mile course. The ride is highlighted by the legendary Corkscrew turn that drops an equivalent of 5 1/2 stories. Rides generally run from 5:30–7:30 p.m. (5-7 p.m. in the winter months), and are open to all levels of cyclists. Helmets are required and the cost is $10 per rider.

The popular local cycling club will hold a one-lap time trial starting at 6 p.m. and segmented by skill levels. And when the evening concludes, participants will be able to enjoy a free BBQ, offering the ideal way to unwind after challenging the 2.238-mile world-class road circuit with its undulating terrain. Twilight Cycling evenings are open to all ages and levels of cyclists.

“This is one of our most popular rides of the year,” says Don Chapin, president of the Monterey Bay Racing Team. “It is not very often that people can ride their bike on an actual race course, free of cars, traffic and potholes. Plus, the elevation changes make the ride very engaging.”

If you don't have a bicycle then you can visit Bay Bikes for a rental as they provide rental bikes for this event. You could probably also rent one from a local bike shop as well.

Re: Laguna Seca de Bicycle--Twilight Ride Wednesday June 18th

what about a yamaha seca, named after said raceway

here's andy & mal lookin good on 1

Princess Rapunzel /

Oh heeeelllll yeeeeaaaah!

I am so going to this. Might bring my moped for the shiggles anyway, ride around the parking lot or something? I wonder how hard the climb from turn 5 to 8 is. Are there any requirements the bike have to meet, such as both F&R brakes?

I've walked all around track during a previous MotoGP event. It's not too difficult. I plan on brining some BMX action. I doubt I'll be able to ride up the back side of the track. I do plan to push the bike up the hill, and then ride the Corkscrew. :P

Will one of these days you've got to make it out to the West Coast. Lots of fun for you. ;) It's been quite a while since I've been riding on the East Coast. I'd really like to do the Blue Ridge Parkway again--only this time on a Derbi. ;)

As a precursor to this event Santa Cruz has just opened up a new flow trail . Since the Laguna event doesn't begin until after 5pm there is time to enjoy the flow.

Riders Ready?

Tomorrow is the big day for Laguna Seca bicycle action. I spoke with Nigel from the track on Sunday. He was at the D-Store doing promotions for the Super bike races. He told me that he's involved with the bicycle days, and that they are a whole lot of fun. He'll be there tomorrow as well.

Nigel says that the gates open up at 5pm for going into the park. The bicycles set up in the paddock near the premier pit row seating, and the garages. Basically the best seats in the house. :P

I'll probably check out one or two of the pump tracks in Santa Cruz on the way down. The new Chanticleer pump track in Capitola is suppose to be pretty slick. The Aptos pump track is also considered to be one of the better pump tracks around.

Re: Riders Ready?

Princess Rapunzel /

Rob Roberts Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tomorrow is the big day for Laguna Seca bicycle

> action. I spoke with Nigel from the track on

> Sunday. He was at the D-Store doing promotions for

> the Super bike races. He told me that he's

> involved with the bicycle days, and that they are

> a whole lot of fun. He'll be there tomorrow as

> well.

>

> Nigel says that the gates open up at 5pm for going

> into the park. The bicycles set up in the paddock

> near the premier pit row seating, and the garages.

> Basically the best seats in the house. :P

>

> I'll probably check out one or two of the pump

> tracks in Santa Cruz on the way down. The new

> Chanticleer pump track in Capitola is suppose to

> be pretty slick. The Aptos pump track is also

> considered to be one of the better pump tracks

> around.

>

> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nPHMIuyjico/TeKPIEUmkFI/

> AAAAAAAAAMU/0jaxZoRTUNc/s640/www.epicentercycling.

> png

I used to run my Honda Express on the backroads next to the Aptos tracks. Awesome road. Moved from Aptos to Capitola though, so no more backroads for me.

I'm not that good at bicycles, though, so I'll just stick to riding on the road. Do we just show up to the track or is there anywhere we have to register?

Yup just show up at the track, and head down to the paddock. :)

They open the gates at around 5pm, the track opens up at 5:30pm. At around 7:30pm they close the track, and do the BBQ. It's $10 to ride the track--as a point of references, a track day on a moto usually goes for around $300. I know it's not the same thing. It does however give you an idea of what kind of money they get for track time.

On this map it's the blue section labeled one--where it says paddock.

Princess Rapunzel /

Alright, I see whoever's going there. I'll be riding a rusty beige Azuki fixed gear conversion with a Malossi 71 sticker on the left chainstay.

Hope you had a blast. I'm going to have to give it another shot in July. I totally underestimated the traffic today--didn't even get into Santa Cruz until after 6pm--there was no way I was going to make it to the track in time. I ended up catching up with some trials riders in SC, and then to the Aptos pump track. I'll post up some photos tomorrow. ;)

Bill Habekost Jr. /

The real WillD Wrote:

> what about a yamaha seca, named after said

> raceway

> here's andy & mal lookin good on 1

> https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0 -

> 9/10291818_10204093434360220_4968678625871541996_n

> .jpg

I like that bike !

Princess Rapunzel /

Awww, darn! I made it there kinda of late, but I still had enough time to ride a long lap, and it was so worth it. Laguna Seca is my most favorite racetrack in the whole wide world and I am so stoked I got a chance to ride it. Defs coming next month.

Also, I actually threw together a little video earlier today of my lap around

Super cool! :) I hope to make it next month.

If you edit out the S in the httpS then the videos will show properly.

The real WillD Wrote:

> what about a yamaha seca, named after said

> raceway

> here's andy & mal lookin good on 1

> https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0 -

> 9/10291818_10204093434360220_4968678625871541996_n

> .jpg

There are two turbo seca's in the junkyard here... So sad.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account