Cleaning exhaust system, Question

I got a used ped and took off the head and cleaned out the carbon. I also scraped out as much carbon as I could from the exhaust. But, there is still carbon and general crud still in the exhaust pipe. I think that I have seen posts about soaking the exhaust in kerosene or the like to get the old crud out of the pipe.

However, I was thinking about using oven cleaner since the crud in the exhaust pipe is mostly burnt and partly burnt oil, just like in an oven. Any thoughts on this? (That is besides make sure the exhaust is off the ped before doing it so as not to destroy the paint.)

If nobody has tried this and has a severe warning I am going to give it a try. So stay tuned for the results.

Kevin Harrell

Re: Cleaning exhaust system, Question

I used a blowtorch from the Home Depot to heat the outside of the pipe, and the oil and crud inside burned off. It's a fun way to clean the exhaust, and it's easy.

Re: Cleaning exhaust system, Question

Reeperette /

>>However, I was thinking about using oven cleaner since the crud in the exhaust pipe is mostly burnt and partly burnt oil, just like in an oven. Any thoughts on this? (That is besides make sure the exhaust is off the ped before doing it so as not to destroy the paint.)<<

I've done this, and it worked quite well, tho to help it along I stuck a bit of coathanger down there.

Took the pipe off and filled it from both ends and let it soak a bit, then up-ended it to drain the stuff out while raking the insides with the coathanger, and it worked fairly well.

At the time I was somewhere where I didn't wanna use anything that had an unpleasant smell, and could not have open flame, so it was kinda the next best thing.

It works better than you'd expect, but not as well as other suggested methods....in a pinch tho, it does work.

-R

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account