Finally bought a moped!!

So I went to look at that Kinetic and although it was not quite the condition I expected , I bought it. I paid $220 for It which was probably too much but mopeds are so hard to find here, I would have had to have driven out of state, paid for gas, hotel room, food to find one better for the same price so I guess I came out OK.

It runs good and the brakes work. Turn signals don't work. I'll post this in the tech section.

But here it is. Best I can tell from the VIN it's a 95 model. Condition wise, it looks like a 75 model. Anyone parting out one of these? I need:

Headlight housing

Ignition switch but I can start it and kill it with a lever

Fuel cap

Pedal (bent but I maybe able to straighten it out)

Speedometer cable

Cleaned up a portion of the fender and one of the wheels with #0000 steel wool and Turtle Was Chrome and rust remover:

Re: Finally bought a moped!!

treats mopeds

They aren't listing Kinetic mopeds in their dropdown box. Is this Kenetic a copy of some other moped? Such as a lot of companies do by selling the tooling to communist or third world countries after the discontinue making a model? Like the Jeep CJ3 tooling was bought by Mahindra? (edited)

TFR was later,right? That one is a Vespa clone. Looks like,anyway. don-ohio (:^)

Contgrats! For some reason I like the purple ones too. Sounds like You didn't read the wiki article I linked in the other thread though or You'd know all about them.

The pedal arm should straigthen out. The pedal crank shaft diameter on the older models is larger than standard, so they're kind of hard to find replacement crank arms for.

As far as the gas cap, I can send You my original one for shipping, but any plug-in gas cap that's the right size will work, iirc it's 30mm, but measure yourself to make sure.

If yours just shrunk ( like old plastic caps do ) and is loose you can put a couple of o-rings around it, that's what I did with mine..

Now I use this one, it also needed an o-ring:

(edited)

Brent Bublitz /

Maciek Dub Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

~

> The pedal arm should straigthen out. The pedal

> crank shaft diameter on the older models is larger

> than standard, so they're kind of hard to find

> replacement crank arms for.

~

When you straighten the arm, pleas, pleas do not try to just wrench it back while it's on the bike, you can bend the shaft that way. Seen a lot of morons recommending that maneuver.

^^ yeah that's a good point, take it off, lay it down on the ends, heat and hammer on the center.

Yeah. My first thought was to remove it from it from the bike and place it in a vice and try to straighten it that way.

I forgot about you posting the WIKI. I read it.

My fuel cap is missing altogether . I measured it at 1.25" ID and I think I have seen those rubber/ribbed oil filler caps like the one you posted at Autozone that will fit it. Moroso or Spectre for example. I'll check tomorrow.

This thing is a bitch to kick start for some reason. What I mean is, it's not an engine issue but just hard to turn the engine over. I tried opening the decompression valve but it won't start that way. However the easiest way to get it started is to open the decompression valve, open throttle and roll it off.

thats how you*re supposed to start it?

I thought you were supposed to stand up, lean forward to prevent the rear tire from touching the ground and push down on one of the pedals. I actually started it a couple of times this way. Hard as hell though.

I'm a newbie to mopeds except for my Tomos TX-50 with a kick starter so please forgive me.

So You got it started? Congrats! Usually You can get a stock bike to turn over without decomp, but it sure helps to hold it when you start the kick and let it go right after the starter shoes grab and turn the engine over once or twice, then let the flywheel inertia do the rest. Saves on the belts too, single speeds don't slip as bad though. (edited)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Brent Bublitz Wrote:

> Maciek Dub Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> ~

> > The pedal arm should straigthen out. The pedal

> > crank shaft diameter on the older models is

> larger

> > than standard, so they're kind of hard to find

> > replacement crank arms for.

> ~

>

> When you straighten the arm, pleas, pleas do not

> try to just wrench it back while it's on the bike,

> you can bend the shaft that way. Seen a lot of

> morons recommending that maneuver.

The pedal shaft isn't what you have to worry about, it's the subframe,

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,2108107,2108107#msg-2108107

I have one pedal crank I could sell ya.

Found a gas cap at Autozone for around $6.00. It's actually a Spectre oil filler cap.

Do I need to drill a small pinhole through the center to let the tank breath?

yeah, maybe you could put it under the edge...nice find though. (edited)

Andrew Squiggman /

Leo Heyman Wrote:

> thats how you*re supposed to start it?

You're

With some practice, now I can get it started by simply opening the decompression valve and kicking the pedal then close the valve. Starts and runs fine too. Too bad the rest of the bike has been abused. Looks like it sat most of it's life out in the elements.

If it did not come with a gas cap you may want to put an inline filter on it, lord knows what is in that tank.

No gas cap?

What keeps the gas from sloshing out of the tank?

Fixed the bent pedal. Actually it wasn't bent at all. The threads were left handed. Someone just had to screwed in cockeyed.

What's stupid is the pedal turns clockwise when going forward, so looks like the pedal should screw in clockwise as well. If this was on the opposite side where the pedal turns counter clockwise I could see this.

So I was pedaling up a hill when the pedal unscrewed! Got home a put some Locktite on it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account