Hardtail mopeds

Robert Macfarlane /

I have a balboa, great ride. But I've been thinking about hardtails. I am looking for some feedback on the benefits of of hardtails, as opposed to soft tails. I have never ridden a hardtail. I don't think a 90 lb bike needs suspension. Which is the better ride overall? Thanks.

Re: Hardtail mopeds

Go outside and fall assbackward off the porch. Then do it again but this time land on a stack made of all the cushions off your sofa. Afterward, reflect upon the idea of hardtail versus softtail again.

^lol

Robert Macfarlane /

Too funny. I do realize comfort is compromised, I was wondering more about overall performance. Start, stop stunts, cornering, acceleration, that sort of feed back.

Overpriced Parts /

Rims dent in a second/first chuckhole with no shocks

It's the same as a hardtail bicycle vs. full suspension. You'll get better acceleration (in smooth ideal conditions) on a hardtail because your energy is not lost in the compression of the rear shocks.

Once you're up to speed, however, a full suspension setup will be faster (in theory) because your rear wheel is kept in constant contact with the ground and you loose less inertia when hitting inertia robbing bumps.

Stunts?

Are you jumping the town pool this weekend lol?

Robert Macfarlane /

LOL. No jumps. I have access to some incredible trails.

Obviously a moped with functioning rear suspension will ride better. Rigids are popular because they "look cool". The main benefit of a rigid frame is that they're cheaper to produce. Performance wise you will have less side to side deflection in the swing arm with a rigid, but on a moped with proper swing arm bushings in good condition this shouldn't be a real issue anyway. I disagree with the part about better acceleration, on a bicycle you're putting your body-weight into pushing down on the pedals which compresses the suspension downwards, with an engine you aren't getting that downward compression. Any sort of uneven road surface like offroad is going to be hell on a rigid, both on the bike and the rider. This video is a good example of what a rigid is like on a rough surface, and why basically all motorcycles have full suspension these days.

With any vehicle under acceleration, your weight transfers to the rear, compressing your rear suspension. Watch any vehicle take off and the front will visibly lift... one of the reasons performance vehicles have traditionally been RWD.

rigids feel nice in the twisties.

Robert Macfarlane /

Thanks guys. Especially the video. I think I will stick with my full suspension.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account